Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

What is the biggest Filter we can use to replace Needswings Single?

Old 07-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What is the biggest Filter we can use to replace Needswings Single?

The filter is open, so it doesn't really block anything. Engine temps on my NA are in jeopardy of this filter. This filter is about 2.5 times the size of the K and N that comes with this kit and adds a nice note to the exhaust as well.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow...That blue filter belongs on a city bus. Is it possible the button in the center of the filters end could be dislodged and sucked down your engine? K&N does make oval extreme filters that also filter on the end without the center metal cap. They use a rubber center cap that's melted into the filter material. Being it's of a oval design,it can be rotated on the NeedsWings intake pipe and clear your grill also. I've got to agree with GraphiteGhost when he thinks that blue filter is a major direct air flow restriction to the radiator. Squirrel Crusher

Last edited by Squirrel Crusher; 07-14-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by mobilefitt
This filter is about 2.5 times the size of the K and N that comes with this kit and adds a nice note to the exhaust as well.

Using a different air filter changes the exhaust note?

Old 07-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular

Yes it does.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Induction sound is not exhaust sound, reminds me of back in the day we'd flip the air filter cover over on 70s Chevys and call it "Polish Headers" because of the sound when WOT. Probably slowed the car down sucking in the hot underhood air, more than helping with additional airflow. Now "Cold Air" kits to me remind me of that, some are actually HOT AIR kits, and don't get fresh outside air any better, or worse then factory setups, but they sound better.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Using a different air filter changes the exhaust note?
We have people that can feel the difference when using different engine oils, so not only are the seat of the pants a reliable sensor but know we have sensitive ears.
I'm a believer ......... not.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
We have people that can feel the difference when using different engine oils, so not only are the seat of the pants a reliable sensor but know we have sensitive ears.
I'm a believer ......... not.
I didn't have the heart to tell him the volumetric efficiency of his exhaust wouldn't be any different just by changing the size of the air filter. But I guess I just did.

Last edited by +fireamx; 07-21-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
Induction sound is not exhaust sound, reminds me of back in the day we'd flip the air filter cover over on 70s Chevys and call it "Polish Headers" because of the sound when WOT. Probably slowed the car down sucking in the hot underhood air, more than helping with additional airflow. Now "Cold Air" kits to me remind me of that, some are actually HOT AIR kits, and don't get fresh outside air any better, or worse then factory setups, but they sound better.

I use to love the sound of the old hi-po Mopars that came with un-silenced air cleaners.
To be honest, my 1969 muscle car came from the factory as an under hood breather. When I installed a functional 1970 Hood scoop (that was sealed to the air cleaner) my 1/4 mile ET's never dropped at all. Still loved the way it looked though. But that's the biggest reason I never had any intention of making the scoop on my Crossfire functional. Nothing improves the performance more than NeedsWings CAI. IMO

Last edited by +fireamx; 07-21-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Forum Regular

sorry, Car intake and exhaust is like a flute. Reeds in the front, megaphone at the back. Different reeds produce a different sound overall. It's kinda where the term "tune" cam from.

My car has a different sound all together now that my filter has no metal on it. It used to have a high pitched tinny sound when i did, and I know that the chrome rings around the top of the filter were heat soaking after a long drive. The rubber edged filter has a throatier sound, a deeper note if you will, less heat soak, and larger filter surface area.

Perhaps the sound change isn't coming from the exhaust but as a result of the tube and cone up front, coupled by the resonatorless exhaust that I currently run.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So what's the biggest filter we can use with the NW supercooler?