Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Crankshaft Position Sensor Help

Old 07-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor Help

I have a 2005 Crossfire limited convertible. Has roughly 98k miles on it.

I started having trouble with the car starting and finally it quit one day and the check engine light come on. It showed the crankshaft sensor. I changed it pretty easily and drove it for about a day. Then I went to start it and it sounded like it would start but wouldn't. The check engine light is back on and showing the sensor again.

A couple of hours later it started up and I was able to drive it to my shop. Could I have gotten a bad sensor? If not what is the likely problem. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor Help

Likely problem is a corroded connector.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I was having problems and got a crankshaft sensor code. Replaced the sensor and it was worse. Reinstalled the original sensor after cleaning the plug and using some dielectric grease. No problems since. Make sure the connector is fully latched, but yes, the new one could be defective. Bosch is best. Borg Warner is not. At least for this sensor for our cars.

Les

Old 07-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new one was a Bosch brand.

I am starting to think its the connector as well. I started the car up just fine to see if it would start. Then I checked the connector just to make sure it was on securely. Got in the car and it wouldnt start.

After wiggling/messing with the connector a couple times it started back and his been working since.

If that is the case is that something I could fix myself. For some reason I doubt it. Is that something a dealer/garage can fix? I'm going to call them Monday.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanderlise
My new one was a Bosch brand.

I am starting to think its the connector as well. I started the car up just fine to see if it would start. Then I checked the connector just to make sure it was on securely. Got in the car and it wouldnt start.

After wiggling/messing with the connector a couple times it started back and his been working since.

If that is the case is that something I could fix myself. For some reason I doubt it. Is that something a dealer/garage can fix? I'm going to call them Monday.

I posted some info on this a few days ago, it appears to me that a very small brass brush and some contact cleaner would fix many of the CPS problems. I will still carry a new spare but if I have the problem again, I will try the clean connector first.