Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Car dies while driving???

Old 05-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car dies while driving???

I was driving my xfire on the freeway the other day for about 25 min and as I was exiting the off ramp my car dies! I let it sit for 5 min then it turned back on. Then a couple days later I'm driving for about 20 min pull into a driveway and car dies... I turn it on 5 min later..... The very last time was 2 days ago; I drove for about 15 min parked the car at the store came back and car doed not turn on, it doesn't even crank, no clicking sound, nothing! This time car sat for 2 hrs and still didn't turn on. We eventually push started the car... Is the RCM issue?? Car won't turn on anymore.....

Old 05-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Car dies while driving?????????

Sounds like one or more fractures in the solder connections on the Relay Control Board to me.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Car dies while driving?????????

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Sounds like one or more fractures in the solder connections on the Relay Control Board to me.
^^^^ What he said.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:02 AM
Default Re: Car dies while driving???

UPDATE:

I had my RCM stripped of the old sadder and had it re-sadderd by a professional. Brought it home and was sure my xfire would start up. NOPE! exact same issue. Now my question is can you start the car without batteries in the key fob? I know it has a transponder inside, but do there have to be batteries? I'm asking this because at the time this happened my key fob was falling apart. Can this be the issue?

Old 05-15-2015, 01:44 AM
Forum Regular

No, batteries only work the lock push buttons.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:26 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx_fire
UPDATE:
I had my RCM stripped of the old sadder and had it re-sadderd by a professional. Brought it home and was sure my xfire would start up. NOPE! exact same issue. Now my question is can you start the car without batteries in the key fob? I know it has a transponder inside, but do there have to be batteries? I'm asking this because at the time this happened my key fob was falling apart. Can this be the issue?
As I understand it the "chip" is similar to RFID and no power to the chip is needed since the voltage induced from the antenna reading the chip "excites" the circuit into transmitting it's code.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx_fire
I was driving my xfire on the freeway the other day for about 25 min and as I was exiting the off ramp my car dies! I let it sit for 5 min then it turned back on. Then a couple days later I'm driving for about 20 min pull into a driveway and car dies... I turn it on 5 min later..... The very last time was 2 days ago; I drove for about 15 min parked the car at the store came back and car doed not turn on, it doesn't even crank, no clicking sound, nothing! This time car sat for 2 hrs and still didn't turn on. We eventually push started the car... Is the RCM issue?? Car won't turn on anymore.....
The first part of your symptoms sounded like the crank position sensor but the last part is RCM symptoms. Has the battery ground cable at the block been inspected?

Old 05-15-2015, 11:22 PM

If you double checked the ground wires with no success - is this a standard transmission? If so, have you checked the clutch switch? This wouldn't explain the stalling and no start issues, but they may be separate issues. Actually that seems highly unlikely now that I typed it.

You mentioned professionally soldered, did you just have the pins on the edge (the common spot) re-soldered or did they go over the entire board? Possibly a faulty relay on the RCM? I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I would make sure the relay was energizing prior to any other testing.

Ryan

Old 05-16-2015, 02:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also make sure you didn't lose the transponder chip if the fob was "falling apart"

Sounds like cps and rcm.

If it were me, I would:
1) take fob apart and make sure chip is there and in the correct spot exactly. (Free)
2) get a spare new RCM for $140 from rock auto.
3) change the CPS $50