Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

When to replace spark plugs?

Old 07-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default When to replace spark plugs?

Reviewed my manual and it recommends changing spark plugs at 100k or 5 years. Well I'm at 10 years and 56k on the roadster and 27k on the SRT6. Should I change the spark plugs? Performance and gas mileage have been consistent (good) since I purchased the cars in 2005 and 2008.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: When to replace spark plugs?

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Reviewed my manual and it recommends changing spark plugs at 100k or 5 years. Well I'm at 10 years and 56k on the roadster and 27k on the SRT6. Should I change the spark plugs? Performance and gas mileage have been consistent (good) since I purchased the cars in 2005 and 2008.
I'm at 30,000 and 10 years and I have no intention of replacing them. These aren't the plugs from the '60s.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I'm at 30,000 and 10 years and I have no intention of replacing them. These aren't the plugs from the '60s.
Dave, the biggest problem that you might have is when or if you do decide to replace them they won't come out at all, stuck. Other than that they will probable function just fine for years to come and I agree with your statement. I changed mine a couple of years ago at 50000 miles and a couple of them acted as if they were frozen in there for a while and were quite difficult to turn making loud popping noises.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
Dave, the biggest problem that you might have is when or if you do decide to replace them they won't come out at all, stuck. Other than that they will probable function just fine for years to come and I agree with your statement. I changed mine a couple of years ago at 50000 miles and a couple of them acted as if they were frozen in there for a while and were quite difficult to turn making loud popping noises.
That is a very good point, I expect that they are treated in an effort to stop them binding to the heads. I will remove them at some time to prevent this.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That is a very good point, I expect that they are treated in an effort to stop them binding to the heads. I will remove them at some time to prevent this.

Dave, great expectation! I would suggest they do not put anything on the plugs, as they slap them together day and night on an assembly line. If involves an added cost in time/manpower/materials, they will most likely nix it. Another consideration, they make monies repairing the heads when the plugs 'rip out' and break/strip during repairs (back end costs customers incur). And, come on, we do all own a benz/Chrysler red-headed stepchild... I especially like your idea of getting In there and taking them out and putting something on the threads as a preventive measure.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Dave, great expectation! I would suggest they do not put anything on the plugs, as they slap them together day and night on an assembly line. If involves an added cost in time/manpower/materials, they will most likely nix it. Another consideration, they make monies repairing the heads when the plugs 'rip out' and break/strip during repairs (back end costs customers incur). And, come on, we do all own a benz/Chrysler red-headed stepchild... I especially like your idea of getting In there and taking them out and putting something on the threads as a preventive measure. .
I expect the plug threads are treated when manufactured.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Dave, great expectation! I would suggest they do not put anything on the plugs, as they slap them together day and night on an assembly line. If involves an added cost in time/manpower/materials, they will most likely nix it. Another consideration, they make monies repairing the heads when the plugs 'rip out' and break/strip during repairs (back end costs customers incur). And, come on, we do all own a benz/Chrysler red-headed stepchild... I especially like your idea of getting In there and taking them out and putting something on the threads as a preventive measure.

If it is an SRT6 engine from AMG, they are assembled by a single technician and may well have something on them. I went to colder plugs after all the engine mods at about 40K and had no difficulty with removal.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:03 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a plug stick in my wifes car a while back, I sprayed the plug very good with Kroil penetrating oil, then let the car idle for about 15 minutes to get it good and warm with the oil around it. The following day after the engine was cooled back down the plug came out pretty easy. Anti seize the new ones for sure as you put them back in.

And then there's this.....
Lycoming, who has been making aluminum heads for around 80 years, says to remove a stuck spark plug:
1) Warm engine.
2) Use an inverted funnel - small side around the spark plug - aim a co2 fire extinguisher at the plug. The inverted funnel keeps the co2 off the head itself.
3) Let fly the co2!
4) Unscrew plug.

There's also a product called Loctite Freeze & Release that's very effective at loosening stuck plugs...

http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/p...=8797940809729

As for the anti-seize.... From the Permatex website:

Permatex Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant

A premium quality copper anti-seize and thread lubricant that may be used to prevent seizing, corrosion and galling where high temperature conditions exist. Contains a high percentage of micro-fine copper flakes in a semi-synthetic grease carrier and is fortified with high quality rust and corrosion inhibitors. Temperature range: -30°F to 1800°F (-34°C to 982°C). Provides good electrical conductivity. Meets Mil Spec #907E.

Suggested Applications: Spark plug threads installed in aluminum, exhaust manifold bolts, engine bolts, oxygen sensors, knock sensors, thermostat housing bolts, fuel filter fittings, and battery cable connections

Last edited by syfi; 07-21-2015 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to replace the original spark plugs in my 2004 coupe with only 32,000 miles due to the car being 11 years old. I know the plugs can go much longer, but I wanted to get them out to prevent the possibility of seizure. I also wanted, as a matter of pride, to attempt the dreaded spark plug replacement as a personal challenge, and no way was I going to pay a dealer to do it. I also had a leaking valve cover which I first removed to make the plug change easier (I replaced rubber gaskets on both valve covers). I was a little anxious at first after reading all the horror stories on this site, but the job wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. This may have been due to my plodding geriatric pace and frequent beer breaks. The boot removal tool helps a lot, as does the dielectric grease on the new plugs. Did I mention frequent beer breaks? It also helps to have a torque wrench, universal 3/8" drive coupling, and the proper Torx bits. My advice is to work slowly, be patient, torque the plugs to spec if you have the wrench (otherwise a 90 to 100 degree turn after contact), use anti-seize on the threads (there's some controversy about this) and check the position and tightness of all the wires and boots when you're finished. I double-checked mine and found one boot that wasn't completely seated on the plug. Now the oil leak is fixed and the idle has smoothed out. It was a job well worth the effort. I also decided to install a new serpentine belt. That was a breeze.

Last edited by crymar; 10-14-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:17 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

+1 to all that.
I've been preaching for years on removing the valve covers to do a complete plug change.
Well worth the time required, and the skin you keep on your hands and forearms.
Plus, you can really tell when the plug boots are properly seated.
I also got to see the innards at 60,000 miles and was quite pleased at the lack of brown carbon buildup :

The following 3 users liked this post by ala_xfire:
BrushRoadster! (04-26-2022), Mop1960 (04-19-2023), SD Crossfire (02-17-2022)
Old 10-13-2015, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by syfi
There's also a product called Loctite Freeze & Release that's very effective at loosening stuck plugs...

Loctite Freeze & Release -
Dare I say it? Cool.

For a quick freeze on a part, use the compressed gas dusters used on keyboards etc, put the nozzle close to the object and give it a blast. Freezes up real quick, do not do it on skin.
I removed chewing gum from my Crossfire car mat with it, the gum came off in frozen lumps leaving no trace

Old 10-14-2015, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I also got to see the innards at 60,000 miles and was quite pleased at the lack of brown carbon buildup:
It's heartening to see how proper oil maintenance pays off. I only put around 1,500 miles a year on mine, so I change the Mobil 0W-40 every two years. Maintenance on my Crossfire is on a time basis, not mileage. Put a new electro-hydraulic plate in the trans a few years ago with around 24,000 miles. The trans oil was black, apparently due to age (and possibly water contamination), not mileage. I've always practiced aviation-type maintenance on my cars, that is, maintenance based on both time and usage.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I've always practiced aviation-type maintenance on my cars, that is, maintenance based on both time and usage.
Me too - the annual is due again Aug 2016.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
+1 to all that.
(with the valve covers removed)...you can really tell when the plug boots are properly seated.
Yes! This was how I noticed that one boot was loose...it stuck out a bit compared to the others.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:16 PM

My 2005 has 120000 kms on it and saw no indication the plugs had been changed, so I changed them with plugs from needswings. As above, some of them were harder to get out. I was surprised at the smoother idle that was immediately noticeable. Attributable to plugs, dielectric grease in connections, firmly connected boots, the TLC throughout the job? Who knows, but am glad I did it.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by kowaltoboggan
My 2005 has 120000 kms on it and saw no indication the plugs had been changed, so I changed them with plugs from needswings. As above, some of them were harder to get out. I was surprised at the smoother idle that was immediately noticeable. Attributable to plugs, dielectric grease in connections, firmly connected boots, the TLC throughout the job? Who knows, but am glad I did it.
At just close to 100,000 miles, my Graphite started missing and throwing O2 codes. 12 plugs and 12 plug wires ended all that. I'd not realized how crappy the car was running until after the work was done - conclusion: 100,000 miles (160km) is way too long to leave them in there.

Additionally, a fifteen year old car with that mileage on it should get plug wires as well as plugs.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:59 AM

Will be getting the plug wires next!

BTW, might anyone know where one can find replacement wire sockets that plug into the coil packs? Most of mine had the clips broken on them and I would prefer to replace them. I understand we might be able to find little gizmos that can help us get the wires out of the sockets without damaging them.

Many thanks,

John