Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Exhaust Opinions

Old 05-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Opinions

Hello and welcome everyone. I unfortunately am new to the XF scene buying my first in August last year (then selling it) and recently an SRT6. Love these cars, but they're missing one thing; their voice. I recently came across a company (TVT Design) that had an AMAZING sounding tone to their SRT. Doing some snooping around, I also found out they were banned from the forum and went out of business.

My question is, has anyone been able to replicate this low grumble sound while still enjoying a cruise, or does anyone have a setup that wont cost an arm and a leg? Thanks.

Video:

Last edited by Agent N; 05-17-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Received 368 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust Opinions

Originally Posted by Agent N
Hello and welcome everyone. I unfortunately am new to the XF scene buying my first in August last year (then selling it) and recently an SRT6. Love these cars, but they're missing one thing; their voice. I recently came across a company (TVT Design) that had an AMAZING sounding tone to their SRT. Doing some snooping around, I also found out they were banned from the forum and went out of business.

My question is, has anyone been able to replicate this low grumble sound while still enjoying a cruise, or does anyone have a setup that wont cost an arm and a leg? Thanks.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdHrfjzWOds

Many in the forum have found exhaust system mods to be extremely expensive for the anticipated gains (mostly none to maybe 2 hp at best?). This is NOT COUNTING headers and cat delete mods. If all you want to do is bother others with loud noise, get a ricer muffler and have a local shop tack it in. Seriously, I cannot figure out why people want to make noise in quiet neighborhoods and in traffic (except to drown out the booming nerve racking stereos you can hear approaching from 1/2 mile away). These 3.2 motors breath pretty good out the back already (which is why pipe and muffler mods have extremely high $/hp ratios (again, at best). Good luck finding a low sound with low 'growl' at cruising!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:04 AM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

this was my car when it was a V6 srt the drone was too much so i went back to no res. and no rear cats, now with the v8 , there is headers, & 3" pipe to the stock srt6 muffler no cats nothing but great sound.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Many in the forum have found exhaust system mods to be extremely expensive for the anticipated gains (mostly none to maybe 2 hp at best?). This is NOT COUNTING headers and cat delete mods. If all you want to do is bother others with loud noise, get a ricer muffler and have a local shop tack it in. Seriously, I cannot figure out why people want to make noise in quiet neighborhoods and in traffic (except to drown out the booming nerve racking stereos you can hear approaching from 1/2 mile away). These 3.2 motors breath pretty good out the back already (which is why pipe and muffler mods have extremely high $/hp ratios (again, at best). Good luck finding a low sound with low 'growl' at cruising!

You are wasting your breath (forum time) or whatever, look at his age and you have your answer.
We were all young once, even if we have forgotten most of it.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, there are two things I want from an exhaust on the Crossfire; good sound, and no drone (little drone). Unfortunately, it seems you can't have both those things. I've messaged forum members that replaced their exhaust repeatedly, cut and welded their own exhaust, even vivisecting the OEM muffler. The answer was 'you can get one or the other.' I don't understand the acoustics of it myself, but that's what the people with experience and money tell me.

OEM muffler is only way to get a exhaust without drone, and it doesn't sound good. But you can make it louder.

http://m.imgur.com/kVDAk7s

Last edited by TheThomaswastaken; 05-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheThomaswastaken
For me, there are two things I want from an exhaust on the Crossfire; good sound, and no drone (little drone). Unfortunately, it seems you can't have both those things. I've messaged forum members that replaced their exhaust repeatedly, cut and welded their own exhaust, even vivisecting the OEM muffler. The answer was 'you can get one or the other.' I don't understand the acoustics of it myself, but that's what the people with experience and money tell me.

OEM muffler is only way to get a exhaust without drone, and it doesn't sound good. But you can make it louder.
Obviously nobody really pays attention to what I write but if they do a search they will find what I think is the best sounding SRT6 exhaust, which required ak 1 1/4 in to 3 inch out "Y" placed as closely as possible to the engine, then into a 3 in by 12 in inline resonator, a back CAT delete, a resonator delete and a 3 inch straight pipe to the OEM muffler. It's not obnoxious, it sounds like a V8, minimal if any drone and deep throaty note. Most who have heard it agree.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 AM
Eco
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Agent N
Hello and welcome everyone. I unfortunately am new to the XF scene buying my first in August last year (then selling it) and recently an SRT6. Love these cars, but they're missing one thing; their voice. I recently came across a company (TVT Design) that had an AMAZING sounding tone to their SRT. Doing some snooping around, I also found out they were banned from the forum and weni t out of business.

i went with

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdHrfjzWOds

I went with with a true dual set up. So X Pipe from the secondary CATS with 3 inch pipes all the way to the exhaust for which I used Flowmaster Super 44. I also use a sprint booster which enhances throttle response and makes the exhaust note even sweeter.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Informative pics ,thank you !
how does it sound ?

Old 05-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Eco

Originally Posted by daveesrt6
Informative pics ,thank you !
how does it sound ?
Awesome, will try recording a sound or video clip over the weekend and try posting it here.

Last edited by Eco; 05-19-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Will definitely be doing some more research.

Last edited by Agent N; 05-19-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Obviously nobody really pays attention to what I write but if they do a search they will find what I think is the best sounding SRT6 exhaust, which required ak 1 1/4 in to 3 inch out "Y" placed as closely as possible to the engine, then into a 3 in by 12 in inline resonator, a back CAT delete, a resonator delete and a 3 inch straight pipe to the OEM muffler. It's not obnoxious, it sounds like a V8, minimal if any drone and deep throaty note. Most who have heard it agree.
That sounds like a very interesting setup. Do you have a link to a sound clip of it?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Eco

Lots of great advise

Last edited by Eco; 05-19-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 05-19-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i can second what jefasold said. I have almost the same setup except a magnaflow muffler instead of stock and electric cutouts for when I want to be obnoxious which is pretty often😏

Old 05-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

On my 6 speed, I deleted rear cats and placed a magnaflow 2.25 dual in / dual out and ran duals straight back, making a long sweep bends after differential instead of the sharp bends with quad tips, I like it, got ride of 90% of the drone, what I was going for.
1st time shop put the sharp bends in, instead of long sweep what we talked about, and the drone was worse, took back and got fixed how we planned and drone went away

Larger diameter pipes deeper the sound.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
oh but we do !
Thanks for repeating it anyway , sounds like a great recipe from your description