Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Part needed for brake / clutch pedal

Old 05-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part needed for brake / clutch pedal

I recently had some bits of metal / plastic fall off from behind the clutch pedal. Car is in the garage at the moment and they've identified the faulty part. It's some part that actually connects the brake /clutch pedal to a master-something (please excuse my ignorance). They've tried contacting various places, but apparently can't find the specific part in the UK, Europe or USA. A key problem seems to be that the part is specific to manual crossfires, which are much less common than autos. The car is perfectly driveable, but part of the broken component includes the spring mechanim which returns the clutch pedal to its proper position, so if I just leave it, it'll probably lead to excess wear on the clutch, or worse.

The garage is looking into whether there's an equivalent part on the old SLK (but I think a lot of those were autos), or failing that they've suggested trying some kind of welding job or building an equivalent part.

I'd rather get the exact bits off a Crossfire - does anyone know of anywhere that has scrap crossfires / parts like this in the UK, ideally in London / south east?

2007 grey crossfire convertible, 55k miles

Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Part needed for brake / clutch pedal

If you're lucky; it might be something like this in the attached picture.
It's a spring assembly that compresses when you push the clutch in, and when you take your foot off the clutch pedal, that's what helps push the pedal back up.

Here's a Mercedes parts page for an SLK320, which you usually will find are cheaper prices to use Mercedes parts, than the equivalent Chrysler parts.

This is an example diagram and parts list, you would want to research more before you order something, but the parts seem to be very inexpensive, if that's what fell down from your pedal assembly.
There are also a lot of youtube videos that show this type of clutch pedal spring for many manual transmission cars. It looks relatively easy to replace yourself if that's what broke.

CLUTCH PEDAL. PEDAL ASSEMBLY WITH BEARING for Mercedes SLK 320 (1995 - 2004). #2022901516

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
spring.jpg (7.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Part numbers 90, 95 and 100 in the diagram are the spring parts I was describing.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:29 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by joemc476
I recently had some bits of metal / plastic fall off from behind the clutch pedal. Car is in the garage at the moment and they've identified the faulty part. It's some part that actually connects the brake /clutch pedal to a master-something (please excuse my ignorance). They've tried contacting various places, but apparently can't find the specific part in the UK, Europe or USA. A key problem seems to be that the part is specific to manual crossfires, which are much less common than autos. The car is perfectly driveable, but part of the broken component includes the spring mechanim which returns the clutch pedal to its proper position, so if I just leave it, it'll probably lead to excess wear on the clutch, or worse.

The garage is looking into whether there's an equivalent part on the old SLK (but I think a lot of those were autos), or failing that they've suggested trying some kind of welding job or building an equivalent part.

I'd rather get the exact bits off a Crossfire - does anyone know of anywhere that has scrap crossfires / parts like this in the UK, ideally in London / south east?

2007 grey crossfire convertible, 55k miles
You should understand that 90% of the Crossfire came from the Mercedes parts bin. Even parts made specifically for the Crossfire have a Mercedes part number, the parts you want were initially made for a Mercedes and are cheaper if purchased using the Mercedes part number, asking for a Crossfire part will get you a Mercedes part with a hefty mark up in the price. The Mercedes part is identical. The Chrysler part number exists on paper only,most parts you buy only have the Mercedes part number stamped on it somehow,the Chrysler part number is on a Mopar label stuck on top of the Mercedes part number if it comes in a plastic bag or box.