Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Installing Intercooler Pump

Old 11-05-2017, 01:31 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Installing Intercooler Pump

I am installing a new Bosch type 010 intercooler pump on our 2005 srt6. Our vehicle has 26,000 mi on it.

I have removed the old pump (type 003) and mounted the new pump. I have also connected the coolant hoses. I lost about 2-3 oz. of coolant during this process.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can best purge the air from the coolant system?

The video I watched seemed to imply I should power up the new pump when performing this operation. If so, should I apply 12 VDC directly to the pump? Or is a PWM signal required?

I would appreciate any advise you might have.

Thank you,
John

Last edited by John&Terry; 11-05-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:46 AM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts
Default Re: Installing Intercooler Pump

Originally Posted by John&Terry
I am installing a new Bosch type 010 intercooler pump on our 2005 srt6. Our vehicle has 26,000 mi on it.

I have removed the old pump (type 003) and mounted the new pump. I have also connected the coolant hoses. I lost about 2-3 oz. of coolant during this process.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can best purge the air from the coolant system?

The video I watched seemed to imply I should power up the new pump when performing this operation. If so, should I apply 12 VDC directly to the pump? Or is a PWM signal required?

I would appreciate any advise you might have.

Thank you,
John
When I did mine I clamped the hoses close to each pump and lost a little fluid. After I had installed the pump I just started the car and went for a spin in it, no problems encountered at all. I think we can overthink this situation too much. If the system was drained or nearly drained then problems could be encountered but a few ounces is nothing. If you have a coolant separation set up I would open it to let the air escape into the expansion tank.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-05-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:45 AM

Thank you for your advise.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:00 PM

After removing the old pump, I connected 12VDC to test it out. It appeared to spin up, and operate fine. So I took it apart to see what it looked like inside. The impeller looked fine. But underneath the impeller, there appears to be a cup shaped magnet that powers the impeller. That part was fractured, and detached from the motor armature. Some of it was ground up inside the motor housing. I'm pretty sure this is what caused the pump to fail.

The following 2 users liked this post by John&Terry:
jefecito (10-24-2022), VaderMarine (10-19-2023)
Old 11-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Great follow-up on your post, thanks. I think you solved your problem...

Old 11-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by John&Terry
After removing the old pump, I connected 12VDC to test it out. It appeared to spin up, and operate fine. So I took it apart to see what it looked like inside. The impeller looked fine. But underneath the impeller, there appears to be a cup shaped magnet that powers the impeller. That part was fractured, and detached from the motor armature. Some of it was ground up inside the motor housing. I'm pretty sure this is what caused the pump to fail.
Those parts that fail are made from sintered metal and they are very brittle. There are pics of these sintered parts in the pump all over this forum.Cheap magnets are made this way as well.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:06 PM

Wow! I was surprised to see such a catastrophic failure in what appears to be an otherwise well-made pump.

Unfortunately, this pump failed at the beginning of a long road trip home, after purchasing our srt6. Our super-charger was kicking in and out for 3000mi over twelve states (and DC).

It was raining today (finally no more fires), so I will complete the pump installation tomorrow. Then it will be time for a road test!

Thank you everyone.

The following users liked this post:
jefecito (10-24-2022)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Smile Re: Installing Intercooler Pump

Originally Posted by onehundred80
When I did mine I clamped the hoses close to each pump and lost a little fluid. After I had installed the pump I just started the car and went for a spin in it, no problems encountered at all. I think we can overthink this situation too much. If the system was drained or nearly drained then problems could be encountered but a few ounces is nothing. If you have a coolant separation set up I would open it to let the air escape into the expansion tank.

I followed this procedure and it worked perfectly! Took my srt6 for 100mi test drive and the supercharger worked fine. I was surprised at the difference the new pump made.

I was concerned that I could have another more serious problem, because my vehicle had "surged" quite a bit, before replacing the pump. I suspected there could maybe be a transmission problem. But the defective intercooler pump was the culprit.

Thank you for all your help!

The following users liked this post:
jefecito (10-26-2022)