Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Microlon engine treatment

Old 01-28-2018, 06:04 PM
DHS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Microlon engine treatment

Today talking to my aircraft mechanic he recommended I put Microlon in my aircraft engine, he is a very experienced mechanic, and has done his own testing in aircraft. By just treating one engine in light twin engine aircraft and using the untreated engine as a baseline he feels this treatment really does work. He states all the owners had the other engine treated after seeing the results. Most aircraft have oil temp, oil pressure, CHTs, EGTs and fuel flow gauges, so you can do a comparison in flight. We are very focused on our engines, because really bad things happen if it stops working!
So I was wondering if anyone has used this in the Crossfire, I have read all the info on their web site and am leaning toward using it, just wondering if any one else has tried it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (2.44 MB, 9 views)
Old 01-29-2018, 07:01 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Microlon engine treatment

Pretty expensive at $140.
Let us know results if you decide to try it please.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:23 AM
DHS
Cool Re: Microlon engine treatment

Well got the VDO oil gauge working last night. first drive 80 mph about twenty minutes on I-85 it stabilized at 220f, but i managed to take out my dash lights, so will trouble shoot that tonight. will drive the car a few weeks to get a good idea on the average temp then put in the Microlon. more to follow.
Dan

Old 04-30-2018, 07:40 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by DHS
Well got the VDO oil gauge working last night. first drive 80 mph about twenty minutes on I-85 it stabilized at 220f, but i managed to take out my dash lights, so will trouble shoot that tonight. will drive the car a few weeks to get a good idea on the average temp then put in the Microlon. more to follow.
Dan
Mechanic probably gets a cut of the profits of any oil treatment sale. That is the way it works in the car dealerships and such. They call it it up selling.
Save your money.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:57 AM
DHS

Well the money is already spent! And he does not get a cut, he was telling me about a helicopter with high oil temps, those engines run at 100% all the time, so they are under a lot of heat stress, so he used Microlon it is a metal treatment one time use. He also has used it in several aircraft and feels like it works. Now that I have an oil temp gauge I guess I will find out. I need to get a good idea how the temps run now!

Old 06-07-2018, 07:36 PM
DHS

Update on oil temp gauge, temp comes up very slow, even on interstate at 80mph on cruse control it takes about 40 miles to stabilize. With the out side temp at 85f she runs at about 235f! If I slow down to 70mph it goes to about 225f, and in town about 220f. In the mourning about 70f at 80mph on CC she stays at 220f. So out side temp does have some affect on the temp as does cruise speed. Just put the Microlon metal treatment in yesterday, but coming home it was 97f outside so the temp was still 235f at 80mph.
Will see what she runs at with a temp of 85f to see if the reduced friction is for Real!

Old 06-08-2018, 08:34 AM

That is HOT !! Mine runs at 186 F without the A/C and 193 F with the A/C at 60-70 on cruise.
In town with stop lights, 195 w/o AC, 206 w AC

Old 06-08-2018, 09:28 AM
DHS
Angry Re: Microlon engine treatment

Well i got the VDO 300F gauge and sending unit, it is in the oil pressure port on the front of the engine. This does seem hot, i was going to ask about an oil cooler for the NA. were is your sending unit located on the engine?

Old 06-08-2018, 10:32 AM

I am using the UltraGauge, which gets the info from the OBDC port. I really don't know where the sensor is, but if it's important I could probably find it in the parts or service manual.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:33 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Microlon engine treatment

Oil is used to cool the pistons and other parts, friction is the smaller component of the heat in oil. Woody

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...istons-feature

Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 AM

It's front top of the engine by the oil filter housing :

Old 06-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Could it be a higher temp. thermostat?

Old 06-08-2018, 12:43 PM
DHS

I think it is reading the WATER temp not the oil temp. Water temp is going to stay close to the thermostat setting. OIL will change with the speed/work done by the engine which includes internal friction. Without a dedicated oil cooler oil temps will very a lot, with my OIL temp numbers i wounder if that is why MB wants us to run Mobil 1 synthetic because it will handle these temps much better than organic oil.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:15 PM

Mobile 1 has more consistant sized carbon chains, does not degrade and thus is better lube. The SRT has an oil cooler on the engine. Woody

Old 06-08-2018, 02:05 PM
DHS

Mobile 1 is the way to go. these are some serious temps though, can the SRT cooler be put on the NA that would be a start. but a remote cooler would really be they way to go!

Old 06-08-2018, 02:52 PM

real estate is the issue, there are many oil coolers out there, I have one from summit for my 6 pac dodge which has a fan assy built on to it for forced cooling even at the " light". ww

Old 06-08-2018, 04:00 PM
DHS

Well there is a piece on YouTube, they put in a cooler, used the pressure test port and tapped the drain hose into the oil pan: not hard but will using the port "short circuit" the pressure to the engine? As a pressure port you are not allowing any flow, but making it an outflow port bleeds off pressure since the cooler will not offer much resistance. the only way to test that would be have a second place to check pressure in the oil galley, is there another place to check that?

Old 06-08-2018, 07:03 PM

That is how the oil for a turbo add on is done. I would not use it, the SRT uses a water cooled intecooler mounted on the oil filter assy. It is an assist, a full flow oil cooler is something to be considered.

I would suggest that you contact ROB at needswings for ideas and his approach to better cooling. Tranny cooling is also important as any additional cooling reduces the heat load on the radiator / engine system.

WEEKEND WEEeeeeeee Woody

Old 06-08-2018, 08:48 PM
DHS

Well for the six speed guys no way to really cool the manual box? I have put a oil cooler in almost every car I have owned going back to my 73 Capri, I have never delt with temps this high, it will destroy regular oil in no time. I am working on a plate to let me get temp and pressure from the port adapter, but will consider going with just temp and use the other port for a cooler. This was going in this weekend but might spend more time looking for a spot to take for the oil cooler output flow.
Here is the part I made just need to machine out the slot for the gasket.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 PM
DHS

Photos of the plate for temp and pressure.

Quick Reply: Microlon engine treatment