Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old 08-15-2018, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor

Hi,
I've only owned my 04 Crossfire for 6 weeks and it has been fine. I have seen many posts on this forum about a crankshaft position sensor failure. Is this just a poorly designed or poorly manufactured part? I see that NeedsWings sells a Hella and Bosch part. Is one any better than the other? Is any part number better than any other since maybe there has been a modification to the part? Are the new ones less prone to failure? Should I purchase one and keep it in my back pocket in case mine fails? Sorry for all of the questions but it appears that this is a part that I should have available in case of failure. I would appreciate any information on manufacturers, modifications, and part numbers. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

Go with Bosch and do carry a spare and tools necessary for replacement.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This has been the subject of many posts over the years but there are as many questions as answers. My suggestion is to carry a spare but common sense tells me that cleaning the connections at failure might be all it needs. There are NO moving parts and a replacement with Bosch replacement fixes it but I feel it might just be that the separation of the connection and subsequent reinsertion reestablishes the connection. It does live in a harsh environment. So I will carry a spare but also some cleaning fluid for electronics and a small brass brush and will try that first upon a failure. I'd like a few others to try that also, so we can provide the answer to this.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

^^^^^^ I agree with this assessment Jim.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:04 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

I've carried a Bosch spare from germanautosupply.com for seven years.
I've ordered five over the years, used one on my Graphite, used one on Ella's car, used one on a car that started acting up at the Dragon and used one at a tech day meet for someone's car as well.

They get temperature sensitive, let the engine cool and it runs for a while. Could it be just the contacts on the connector? Perhaps.

But I've repaired electronics for a living since 1982, I have the mindset that once I 'fix' something, it is fixed. What is needed is for someone to wait for theirs to act up, and try cleaning contacts and NOT replacing it and seeing what happens. That person wont be me, if I can eliminate an issue for $32-45 and twenty minutes of my time, that is what I am going to do. And it is what I have done in the past. The cars I worked on four of five times were other poeple's cars, no way was I going to work on a car knowing I may not have fixed it.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments and information. I guess I'll order a Bosch part and hope I never need to use it. I may give the contact cleaning a try also.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:47 AM

Hi everyone,
Ordered a new Bosch Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) from German Auto Supply LTD. in North Carolina. Part number: 0261210170. $28.00 and free USPS Priority Shipping.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:36 PM

Ordered the Bosch part off of Amazon a few weeks ago. Didn't put it on because the wife didn't complain of the problem. Replaced it today, without much fanfare. A telescoping magnet came in handy to retrieve the screw. The hardest part was getting the sensor aligned correctly because the tolerances were so tight. Ended up shoving the closed end of a 7/16 wrench into the sensor, and turning it. Also used a length of thread tied around the screws, in case I dropped it. The car fired right up afterwards. It is a 2005, limited, vert with just under 13k on it.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:51 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

Bloomington what?