Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

2004 Transmission/Starting Issue Help Needed

Old 12-19-2018, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Transmission/Starting Issue Help Needed

I have an issue that I have not found much online about yet. This is on a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire with the 580 Automatic Transmission. I recently purchased a '07/08 Crossfire for parts if I need to check anything. The rest of this car will be parted eventually.

The '04 was owned by a fellow employee who drove it 4+ hours/day to and from work. He got the car with 40k miles and it's currently sitting with about 329k miles. Transmission worked flawlessly until this issue came up.

My wife was driving the car one day and she said it started shifting funny so she pulled over in a parking lot. No matter what gear she put the car in, it would still take off in D when she let off the brake. She decided to put it back in D and continue home.

I looked at the car later that evening. I attempted to start the car. Dash lights, etc come on but starter doesn't engage (my guess is because the car is still in D). With the ignition on, I could select the different gears. Ran out of time so left it until the following evening.

Went out the following evening and found that with the ignition on, I could not take the car out of P. I could push the manual release to take it out of gear but electrically, it would not pull the solenoid in. I decided to pull the RCM because the guy at work had never touched it (he had this same issue with not being able to take it out of P one other time years before).

I found several cracks around the pins on the RCM. I soldered the pins good and reinstalled.

After reinstalling, I could turn the ignition on and select the different gears (P, R, N, D) but the car would not attempt to start. I even tried holding the key to the start position while I selected the different gears in case it was a Neutral Safety Switch issue. Nothing. Dash lights, etc come on strong but the starter never tries to engage.

So, that's where I'm at. Not sure if I have a cable problem, relay problem, bad Conductor Plate, bad TCM, or???? Any suggestions would be very helpful in trying to diagnose this issue.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: 2004 Transmission/Starting Issue Help Needed

Open the RCM. Turn the key to the ON position.
Check that 2 relays stay engaged (fuel relay will engage for 2 secs then disengage. Don't count it as one of the two).

If only one. you probably have a RCM problem.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:49 PM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: 2004 Transmission/Starting Issue Help Needed

I was going to say don't bother trying to solder the rcm most of us do it then send it to Tighed1 woth $30 and he sends it back and everything works again. jim