Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Accelerator taking a few seconds to react with engine

Old 04-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accelerator taking a few seconds to react with engine

This is my 2004 Automatic coupe, Chrysler Crossfire...
I think it might be my acceleration positioning sensor on my petal but I'm not sure. Everytime I put the petal to the metal, my 2004 Crossfire might be going into limp mode??? I just cleaned my Throttle Body out very very good and this issue is still happening. Basically what's happening is... After I mash down the car to accelerate very quickly, my petal is taking a few seconds to realize the petal is being pushed down. When I give my car a break, it seems like when I start it up again, it's fixed until I put the petal to the metal. It works great until I put it to the floor for more than 5 seconds. I think my sensor might be starting to go out. I don't wanna spend $230 on a new petal if that isn't the problem. Any help and advice on what to do except taking it to the dealership. Any common problems that might be making this happen? I have a stock, automatic coupe, 2004 Chrysler Crossfire. Also there is a rattle when I hit the gas hard when taking off, only in the front. Not the rear. I think it might be the heat sheild around the engine. It's very loud on the out side and inside of the car. It's very annoying and not sure where to start of finding where the metallic, vibration noise is coming from. I could use all the help I can get. This is my first car and want it to last a very long time. It is not new by the way.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Accelerator taking a few seconds to react with engine

I have the same issue throttle issue with my 2005 crossfire coupe. Also, the same metal tingy rattle occurs under the front end of my car. I think it’s the heat shields but will know for sure soon. Do you have any other pics of your car? I have the same gray exterior color and I’m thinking of painting the trim same as the body color.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try the throttle body reset.

1. Get in your car

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter
turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back
to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas
pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, mine sometimes revs high between 1st and 2nd gears. My car is an automatic too. Any ideas?

Old 04-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin_Campbell
This is my 2004 Automatic coupe, Chrysler Crossfire...
I think it might be my acceleration positioning sensor on my petal but I'm not sure. Everytime I put the petal to the metal, my 2004 Crossfire might be going into limp mode??? I just cleaned my Throttle Body out very very good and this issue is still happening. Basically what's happening is... After I mash down the car to accelerate very quickly, my petal is taking a few seconds to realize the petal is being pushed down. When I give my car a break, it seems like when I start it up again, it's fixed until I put the petal to the metal. It works great until I put it to the floor for more than 5 seconds. I think my sensor might be starting to go out. I don't wanna spend $230 on a new petal if that isn't the problem. Any help and advice on what to do except taking it to the dealership. Any common problems that might be making this happen? I have a stock, automatic coupe, 2004 Chrysler Crossfire. Also there is a rattle when I hit the gas hard when taking off, only in the front. Not the rear. I think it might be the heat sheild around the engine. It's very loud on the out side and inside of the car. It's very annoying and not sure where to start of finding where the metallic, vibration noise is coming from. I could use all the help I can get. This is my first car and want it to last a very long time. It is not new by the way.
Have you looked for any codes being set?
Did the problem suddenly occur or had you done something just before it occurred.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

if the throttle reset does not calibrate correctly, you probably have a bad throttle body or bad gas pedal.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Have you looked for any codes being set?
Did the problem suddenly occur or had you done something just before it occurred.
The codes showing were; p0123 and p0410. The last thing I done before I noticed the delay was trying to spin the tires in grass by slamming the gas petal down a couple times.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
if the throttle reset does not calibrate correctly, you probably have a bad throttle body or bad gas pedal.
The reset didn't help. The delay came back after I got done accelerating hard. Every start up, the car resets and it's gone til I hit it hard for more than 2 second of acceleration while in drive. I was thinking it might be a bad sensor on the throttle body so I bought a used one about half the mileage I have on my car now. The code p0123 is being thrown which lead to the throttle body... The reason I ordered a replacement TB.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Back
Bill, mine sometimes revs high between 1st and 2nd gears. My car is an automatic too. Any ideas?
SAME PROBLEM! I noticed it was reving a little too high for being in park off a cold start. It was doing it by itself, up to around 1.5-2 rpms. It might be the code being throw for the air injection pump. Code is: p0410. It caused my engine light to come on. So I ordered one hoping it will help. But this random reving stopped after 10 sec and this is the first time I've seen this happen.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:18 AM

The reset didn't help. The delay came back after I got done accelerating hard. Every start up, the car resets and it's gone til I hit it hard for more than 2 second of acceleration while in drive. I was thinking it might be a bad sensor on the throttle body so I bought a used one about half the mileage I have on my car now. The code p0123 is being thrown which lead to the throttle body... The reason I ordered a replacement TB.
I had 0123 on my 2004 roadster but found it was the throttle pedal I changed the whole thing but I think it was just the kick down switch very simple to change just one 10mm nut and two plugs.

Last edited by Mark1; 06-14-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:43 AM

The codes showing were; p0123 and p0410. The last thing I done before I noticed the delay was trying to spin the tires in grass by slamming the gas petal down a couple times.

what was the verdict in the end? I’m having the EXACT same issue. Both codes were thrown at different times.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:28 PM

any updates on these issues?

Old 10-27-2022, 10:52 AM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Nynick8
any updates on these issues?

Apparently, not...

The following users liked this post:
Nynick8 (10-28-2022)
Old 02-04-2023, 04:30 PM

Two different issues. The throttle pedal was one. And also my secondary air pump was disconnected from the hose. Must have came up done when I added the DCAI. Hope this helps.