Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Procedure for replacing flex joint?

Old 01-02-2023, 11:30 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: Procedure for replacing flex joint?

the flex joints from Needswings are the mercedes and correct ones just make sure you specify limited or srt6 jim

The following users liked this post:
mrradio (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 12:30 PM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by mrradio
Reading these posts re flex discs, I decided to replace them when doing the Centre carrier bearing (from Needswings) as the car now has 99000Km. Got Dorman flex discs from a supplier,( PN # 935-403) but upon comparison with the existing MB parts, they are NOT the same. The holes match up but the originals (MB # 210 411 0415 stamping) have protruding metal bushings that fit into the driveshaft on one side, and into the yoke on the other. Thus the MB bushings are 3mm longer than the Dorman bushings which sit even with the rubber. There is no way I am putting these on the car. The front and rear flex discs are exactly the same on my manual transmission 2004 xf. Mine show no signs of cracks, but feel rigid.
The Flex discs can be replaced fairly easily if you loosen the carrier bearing holder to allow some linear travel of the driveshaft.
My carrier bearing was absolute toast, the rubber had disintegrated. The only manifestation was a clunk when taking off in first gear, otherwise no symptoms. Glad I found it before a catastrophy. Only the rear half of the driveshaft has to come out to service the carrier bearing. That is good because otherwise the exhaust would have to be jiggered out of the way. I only let the heat shields droop down, and removed one little plate near the carrier bearing. The rear driveshaft and carrier bearing slips nicely down towards the rear. The front half of the driveshaft is trapped by the manual shift brackets not allowing passage of the yoke when trying exiting towards the rear. The exhaust prevents exit towards the front. I just marked the alignment, and left it in place. Getting the right parts is far more difficult and expensive in Canada. Between exchange rates and Shipping, we get screwed. I got some flex disc part numbers from this forum and I will try again to get them from the supplier. As for the Amazon parts, they have a dizzying number of different ones. With a little digging I found the exact MB part number listed from a Chinese source but I can't really tell from the photos if they have the protruding bushings. If anyone has had success in getting these exact right ones from Amazon, I would appreciate confirmation of fitment. When I am all done and back together, I will follow up with the final results and sources for general information and for my Canadian compatriots.

mrradio, I am having a little problem visualizing the differences you mentioned. Do you have a picture or two demonstrating what you mean? Thanks!

Old 01-02-2023, 01:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got back from my parts supplier A and A auto parts. They think the correct Dorman part is 935-403 , I'll have them on Wednesday. Upon looking more carefully at the front flex disc it is indeed cracked, so my first assessment was wrong. Ill advise when I compare them. Here is a picture of the flex disc showing the protruded bushings. Three on one side and three offset on the other side. These protrusions fit into the yokes which are machined to accept them. I hope my running around provides some clarity to others. SRT and Auto trans models may be different. Stay tuned.

note three bushings protrude on this side by 3mm. the opposite side has the alternative 3 protruding.

MB part number. Front and rear on my '04 XF manual transmission, are the same. You can see how alternate bushings protrude.

The following 2 users liked this post by mrradio:
GraphiteGhost (01-03-2023), M60A3Driver (12-02-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 10:50 AM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by mrradio
Just got back from my parts supplier A and A auto parts. They think the correct Dorman part is 935-403 , I'll have them on Wednesday. Upon looking more carefully at the front flex disc it is indeed cracked, so my first assessment was wrong. Ill advise when I compare them. Here is a picture of the flex disc showing the protruded bushings. Three on one side and three offset on the other side. These protrusions fit into the yokes which are machined to accept them. I hope my running around provides some clarity to others. SRT and Auto trans models may be different. Stay tuned.

note three bushings protrude on this side by 3mm. the opposite side has the alternative 3 protruding.

MB part number. Front and rear on my '04 XF manual transmission, are the same. You can see how alternate bushings protrude.

It IS true, one (or two) picture(s) are worth a THOUSAND words! Thanks mrradio!

Old 01-03-2023, 11:47 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

WOW, an Emachines computer. My son worked for them when they first started.

Old 01-04-2023, 04:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in action all buttoned up. As applicable to my 2004 Coupe six speed manual transmission, here are the two things I know for sure.
1) CORRECT Dorman part number for flex disc is 935-104 C $88. (Replaces MB 210 411 04 15 MB dealer price C $135+tax) Do NOT use Dorman 935-403
2) Both front and rear flex discs are identical and have the protruded bushings that fit into the yokes, 3 opposing on each side.
I would hate to have to do this job with just jack stands, I guess it could be done but not at my age!
Installed carrier bearing as well no problem. Absolutely no movement or play on the driveshaft now. Have to wait for a cold sunny day to test drive.
No warning lights, Locks working, no bad bulbs, water pump, transmission mount, gee I think I'm done!

Last edited by mrradio; 02-16-2023 at 08:05 PM. Reason: update information
The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (12-02-2023)