Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Oil catch can out of eBay

Old 12-31-2019, 04:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil catch can out of eBay

I'm going to test the cheap eBay 3-port oil catch can. Does it work for Xfire? Did anyone try it?

Last edited by monaderio; 12-31-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:22 AM
Received 134 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Re: Oil catch can out of eBay

I bought a similar one from ebay with a dipstick to check oil level, I've had it on the car for awhile it seems to be working fine. The only trouble i had was mounting it. I used one of the studs for the heat shield for mounting, it's not the best but feels secure.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:48 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by monaderio
I'm going to test the cheap eBay 3-port oil catch can. Does it work for Xfire? Did anyone try it?
You are hereby appointed as the official cheap product tester for Crossfireforum.org. So far rear diffusers which you purchased inspite of many posts here warning those from The Crossfire Store were total junk and then had to return them. NOW you're going for a cheap oil catch can you found on E-Bay.

I personally know that most forum members are passionate enough about their Crossfires to invest in Needswings products, ALL Needswings products have been researched / tested / quality built / and proven. Also Rob's excellent customer service is simply second to none!
You go ahead and try the cheapy stuff. Just sayin' . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 01-02-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:28 PM
Received 134 Likes on 111 Posts

With all due respect, a lot of members are retired and on a fixed income and buy what we can afford

Old 01-02-2020, 01:42 PM

I did not buy any diffuser, cheap or expensive, you are mistaken. And I'm about to skip that mod. It's pricey and does not give any benefits.
Now about the oil can catch. It's like a hobby. I like to do something unusual on my car. I'm not looking for the easy way just buying the performance stuff. It's boring.
I bought already this item https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-0-6L-...53.m2749.l2649
and I'll modify it in my personal way. The final result will be shown later when the project will be done. If something will go wrong I'll buy the catch can from NW. Not a problem.
Also I'm thinking to place the oil catch can in a different location.
Bought this Y shape connector to connect both hoses from valve covers and send one hose to the catch can. So I don't need 3-port oil catch can. Something like that
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-One-3-8-N...53.m2749.l2649
More ideas are coming......

Old 01-02-2020, 01:42 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
You are hereby appointed as the official cheap product tester for Crossfireforum.org. So far rear diffusers which you purchased inspite of many posts here warning those from The Crossfire Store were total junk and then had to return them. NOW you're going for a cheap oil catch can you found on E-Bay.

I personally know that most forum members are passionate enough about their Crossfires to invest in Needswings products, ALL Needswings products have been researched / tested / quality built / and proven. Also Rob's excellent customer service is simply second to none!
You go ahead and try the cheapy stuff. Just sayin' . . .
I think your comment above is not warranted, not everyone has limitless funds to buy whatever they want, and not everyone with lots of available cash wants to spend it on things that can be purchased cheaper. I come from Canada and we can be real cheapskates when we want.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:03 PM
Received 390 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I think your comment above is not warranted, not everyone has limitless funds to buy whatever they want, and not everyone with lots of available cash wants to spend it on things that can be purchased cheaper. I come from Canada and we can be real cheapskates when we want.

Mega 'cheapskate' here, and proud of it!

Old 01-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been reading posts about this catch can myself and am interested in your findings as to how well it works. This is not a precision performance part. Its just a reservoir can that holds gunk!
Look, I'm not trying to choose sides but...….if buying the best was the only option this would be a Lamborghini forum not a Chrysler Crossfire forum. I have and continue to spend money with vendors who bend over backwards to help us Crossfire owners. I trust them to sell us quality parts. However I think there are some things that can be done on a tighter budget. The car was engineered to "burn up" the extra gunk anyway. My car has 75000 miles on it running without one so why should I even consider one now......because all the cool kids have one that's why. I know people use them and yes they do trap junk so one can say yes I need one. If it doesn't work then I'm sure he will let us know.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:27 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

It will work. maxcichon re-engineered a cheap one from ebay by adding some more steel wool and it worked fine on his car.
( now Crystal's "Scarlett" )

Old 01-02-2020, 05:40 PM

Mods I'm going to perform.
1. Take it apart and see the internals. If it's not baffled I'll fabricate baffles from aluminum or stainless steel and I'll add some copper or stainless steel scrubber.
2. I'll install oil drain ball valve.
3. I'll replace barbed hose connectors to AN fitting. AN10 or AN12 will be fine.
4. The Y shape 3-way connector will be used for inlet hoses that's why I bought 2-port oil can catch.
5. I'll use 3/8" fuel hose SAE 30R7 Hi-temp resistance.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:23 PM

My expenses for all required parts will be around $45

Old 01-02-2020, 06:52 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I did not buy any diffuser, cheap or expensive, you are mistaken. And I'm about to skip that mod. It's pricey and does not give any benefits.
You are correct and I apologize for my error. . . I confused you with a post I read from another forum member regarding those rear diffusers . . .

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post934616

I was having a bad day . . . Please forgive me . . .

Old 01-02-2020, 07:32 PM

I even didn't notice that. Everybody has his own opinion. Everything is fine.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM

I found a nice write up about oil catch can modification. That's what exactly I'm going to do.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nlet-tube.html

Old 01-03-2020, 01:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a nice write up about oil catch can modification. That's what exactly I'm going to do.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nlet-tube.html
Monaderio, I thought your original idea was better Why are you favoring this more complicated approach?

Old 01-03-2020, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by ambidextrous
Monaderio, I thought your original idea was better Why are you favoring this more complicated approach?
It's pretty simple and it works. It's not a rocket science, you even can make the oil catch can from a glass jar and it works as well.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:25 AM

Another option and I think I can do that.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:53 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I helped fab the oil catch can for ROB and the one shown seems to have minimal screen to catch vaporized oil well. I am also concerned that the sintered filter on the unit would become very restrictive. Original plan was to minimize the oil let thru and keep runners and intakes cleaner. With fuel injection the runners never get WASHED, as a carb;ed engine would. Restriction is your enemy thus the dual intake and crossover manifolds I developed a while back. Enjoy the new year, Woody

Old 01-03-2020, 11:09 AM

You are doing a great job for Xfire community. Thanks

Old 01-03-2020, 03:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

So which catch can are you trying to use? You have shown two different units and the drawing looks different even yet.

Quick Reply: Oil catch can out of eBay