Europe Serving all countries of the European continent.

Anyone up for a Trackday?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone up for a Trackday?

I have just posted details of the next UK trackday I will be attending here:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=10893

Hope some other owners can make it too.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone up for a Trackday?

I am a new member only just picked up the XF at the weekend, so I have missed the track day, but...

How did it go, did many people attend as the forum seemed pretty quiet on the event?

I have often thought about doing a track day, but at £500 for a pair of rear tyres, I imagine this can get pretty expensive?

How many track days do you get from a set of tyres?

Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 PM

Hi Gizmo and welcome. I hope you are enjoying the Crossfire experience.

The day was great fun as always but as usual there were no Crossfires, or owners for that matter, in attendance. In fact you are the only UK owner to respond. The Europe section of the forum pretty quiet and I think most people, including the Brits hang out in the main section. That's how I missed you post.
I screwed up with the video camera on this event so all the footage was rubbish. I did post a few seconds of me taking to the grass after outbraking myself on cold tyres and brakes though. Check out the Racing section to see it. There are some pics: HERE Which include some shots of the tyres before I replaced them.

You can see some of my other track videos: HERE

Tyre wear is not really a big issue if you just do the occasional track day and drive sensibly. The fronts wear more than the rears and will feather slightly but will return to normal in a few hundred miles. Just take it easy and don't turn in too aggressively piling on the power. I have managed to wreck a set of front tyres in a day but that was when I was really throwing the car around to see what it would do on the notoriously abrasive Elvington concrete surface. I got about another 4 trackdays out of the replacements (P Zero's) but decided to change them for new PS2's last month with winter coming. I have got about 6 trackdays out of the rears (PS2's), including 17,000 road miles and they are now borderline legal so I have pensioned them of for track only use.

If you are interested in doing a track day let me know as I can arrange something at Bruntingthorpe fairly easily, and its only about an hour away from you. It would be great to see you there. I am also planning a run to the Nurbugring sometime in November if you are interested.

Simon.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a lot of expense lately and need to get my card cleared down a bit first. I have never done a track day but would certainly be interested (if I can convince my wife to let me race her car that is!!! ).

I have been reading about all your mods. Our XF is pretty vanilla so far. I am thinking about adding some K&N's if I can find a cheap supplier, but the insurance situation does worry me a bit. What do you do about race insurance and road insurance with all those mods?

Thanks,

Gary.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:15 PM

Hi Gary,

I know the feeling, I'm still recovering from buying tyres! I'll let you know when I am next venturing out on the track and you are welcome just to come and take some passenger laps before you decide if it is something you want to do.
I am doing some tests on air filters at the moment. I think the main advantage of the K&N's is that they are reusable - you can wash and re-oil them. I don't think there will be much, if any power gain.

My policy used to cover trackdays, but not any more. For the first few events I organized separate cover at about £100 for £12000 cover. But more recently I have just taken the risk as I know the venue well and the group of drivers. It's always well run and track etiquette is always enforced. I also tend to pick my time when to go out on the track eg. wait for the first half hour until everyone has calmed down and found the lines; to be honest I think you are at more risk on the M1 on a Friday night.
A full day at Bruntingthorpe would be in the region of £200 including the £100 insurance. I normally use a tank of fuel and if your tyres are in good condition you won't take too much out of them especially on your first event when you won't be doing a high number of flat out laps.

As for mods I don't have that may permanent mods as I am constantly fitting and removing stuff as I develop it. I have a very good insurance broker that I can just phone up and make changes to my policy (Norwich Union) as required. I have 4 modified cars on their books so they are used to it. I am definitely paying too much compared the likes of the online brokers but I need the flexibility so can live with it - just.