Europe Serving all countries of the European continent.

Help please on tyre choice ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please on tyre choice ???

My 2004 Crossfire Coupe is due some new tyres very shortly and would like to know what other UK owners of Crossfire's have been using.

Not impressed with the stock Michelin Sport so was thinking of either Avon ZZ3's or Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Both the above tyres are good buys via the interweb on www.camskill.co.uk and then get them fitted locally.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Default Re: Help please on tyre choice ???

Hi.. Whats tthe problem with the Michelin Sport tyre? I have found them to be excellent for grip and ride and duration . Although a little expensive to purchase. Will you be attending the Easter Crossfire Meet? see posts.

Ken.

Last edited by Valk; 02-19-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Forum Regular

Hi Baz , i went for Dunlops in the end ,Grip is good & not much road noise , But i have the 275 on rear & standard on front . i think the 275's fill the rim better than the standard 255 's , If you look at your wheels & tyres at the moment (if your using the standard sizes ) you will see the front tyre fills the rim , but the rear tyre looks a little on the slim side. going up to the next size at the back , just gives a more balanced look . Using the 275's at the back will also help you from damaging the rims . If you are worried about the tyres rubbing i have not had any problems .

Old 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ZeroZero
Hi Baz , i went for Dunlops in the end ,Grip is good & not much road noise , But i have the 275 on rear & standard on front . i think the 275's fill the rim better than the standard 255 's , If you look at your wheels & tyres at the moment (if your using the standard sizes ) you will see the front tyre fills the rim , but the rear tyre looks a little on the slim side. going up to the next size at the back , just gives a more balanced look . Using the 275's at the back will also help you from damaging the rims . If you are worried about the tyres rubbing i have not had any problems .
I am also looking to replace tyres soon was looking at Continental...but expensive....anyone found any good prices, i agree about 275s they fill the rim much better

Old 03-01-2008, 02:49 AM

I've been looking at tyres too....

My dealer quoted me £715 for the Continental SP2's and over £900 for Michelins

I did get the finances down to £570 for a set of Goodyear Eagles from Motorserv... beating the 25% off deal the Kwikfit were offering...

I even considered the National BOGOF on Barum & Avon; but was warned that as both of these are budget tyres, it might not be a good idea.

I think Goodyear might be in the middle of changing their tread patterns right now... Fast Fit were telling me about the new assymetric pattern but it turns out that it was available for the fronts but the rears were still GSD3.

So I've now ended up ordering the Dunlops from Fast Fit for £570...

They even agreed to refit my left front free of charge when my new wheel arrives..

Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also looking for new tyres soon.
Thanks for the link http://www.camskill.co.uk/ seem to have good prices it's just finding someone that will fit other peoples tyres but at least I can quote there prices to get a better deal.
Are the tyres a Z speed rating?
A lot of the tyres I have looked it are only Y rated.
I've had the Avon ZZ3's and the Dunlop sp 9000's before and they are both good tyres with the Dunlops having the edge.
I agree about the Michelins I don't like them.
I struggle to pull away in the wet without spinning the wheels and that's with the traction on.

Norrie.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:47 PM

I have been looking and reading many reviews on tyres, and these come out top

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC - 225/35R19 88Y XL
PRICE: OUR PRICE £133.00

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC - 225/40R18 92Y XL
PRICE: OUR PRICE £97.50

Anyone got any other advice or choice?

Old 03-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Forum Regular

Hi All , I think you should check the size of that rear tire , it should 255 not 225 as that will not fit the rim , As i have wrote before go for the next size up (275) on the rear as it fis the rim better . i just hope that was a typo' SteveB1.

"Hi Baz , i went for Dunlops in the end ,Grip is good & not much road noise , But i have the 275 on rear & standard on front . i think the 275's fill the rim better than the standard 255 's , If you look at your wheels & tyres at the moment (if your using the standard sizes ) you will see the front tyre fills the rim , but the rear tyre looks a little on the slim side. going up to the next size at the back , just gives a more balanced look . Using the 275's at the back will also help you from damaging the rims . If you are worried about the tyres rubbing i have not had any problems ."

Last edited by ZeroZero; 03-14-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular

I need to remove this reply

Hi All , I think you should check the size of that rear tire , it should 255 not 225 as that will not fit the rim , As i have wrote before go for the next size up (275) on the rear as it fis the rim better . i just hope that was a typo' SteveB1.

Last edited by ZeroZero; 03-14-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:12 AM

"Hi Baz , i went for Dunlops in the end ,Grip is good & not much road noise , But i have the 275 on rear & standard on front . i think the 275's fill the rim better than the standard 255 's , If you look at your wheels & tyres at the moment (if your using the standard sizes ) you will see the front tyre fills the rim , but the rear tyre looks a little on the slim side. going up to the next size at the back , just gives a more balanced look . Using the 275's at the back will also help you from damaging the rims . If you are worried about the tyres rubbing i have not had any problems ."
Sorry yep was a typo should have been 255...just checked my wheels yes i think 275/35/19 would look much better....no idea of price yet will let you know what i come up with..thanks for pointing out the typo and the info

Old 03-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Forum Regular

I really want to keep the original sizes.
The Avons are £430 for the set which is really good.
I e-mailed them about the Dunlops or the Bridgestones but they have replied saying that they don't make tham in these sizes which is bollocks.
The problem with ordering them mail order is getting someone to fit them without damaging the rims that is.
If anyone comes up with good prices please post them here.

Norrie.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Forum Regular

Just found the Avons at Rochford tyres for just under £400 including delivery.
http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrepricing.asp

Norrie.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:52 AM
Cool Re: Help please on tyre choice ???

Hi there, re 275's on the back; do you have any pics of these showing how they look on the rims in comparison to the standard 255's? Im considering putting this size on, but it would usefull to get an impression first.
Thanks, Steve

Old 04-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Forum Regular

Hi Steve UK Ok here some pics from car today . two pics of front tire & two pics of rear tire .

Attached Thumbnails Help please on tyre choice ???-225frontview.jpg   Help please on tyre choice ???-225sideview.jpg   Help please on tyre choice ???-275frontview.jpg   Help please on tyre choice ???-275sideview.jpg   Help please on tyre choice ???-fullsideview1.jpg  

Help please on tyre choice ???-fullsideview2.jpg  
Old 04-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Hi,Many thanks for the pics, I can see now how the 275's seem to suit the rims so well, and the standard tyres look undersize in comparison. Fitting wider tyres can cause problems but I believe we can be confident with this application. I also note that there seems to be a bigger selection of tyres available in the larger size, also there are some 265's around as well. The way I am going, it looks like I'll be needing new rears durring the summer so its going to be 275's for me! The pics are great, I allways wanted a red Crossfire but coulnt find one when I was buying, so it kills me to see a nice one like yours (fancey a swap?)
Cheers, Steve

Old 04-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Forum Regular

Hi Steve Uk glad i can help , The only problem i had was getting the two tire sizes from same tire company ,but that could have been the shop i was using . It took me weeks of looking up tire sizes & checking this forum to make the switch to 275's , but they look so at home & match the front rim/tire set up , The two pics of the side of our xfire were taken the day before the last xfire meeting , I had washed twice & clay barred & polished , nice very clean wheels ,clean exhaust tips , then i get up in the morning & snow every where so stayed at home with a very clean car in the garage ( bummer) .

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by ZeroZero; 04-24-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had no problem with my Yokohama Advans... 245/35R18s front and 295/30R19s rear... REALLY fills out my aftermarket rims.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea...

If you still have the stock rims I don't think you could get these mounted. BUT, if you are looking to change your rims too... now is a good time...

Cheers!

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 04-24-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Forum Regular

The Kuhmo SPT's are great if you are on a budget.

I've also heard good things about the Vredensteins.

I currently have Nitto Invos, and they were a big improvement over the stock Conti's, and also quite reasonably priced (<$800 for all four with shipping). They really smoothed out the ride, and are much grippier. Excellent day to day driver tire, but not the best high performance pick since the softer sidewalls can flex a bit much at high G's. Not so good in the ice and snow, but great in the rain - two huge sipes to displace the water.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:09 AM

Thanks guys for you help on tire sizes - I wish I had known more about this subject when I bought my Conti 3s'.
There's more flexibility than I thought with rim and tire sizes on this car, and Timelords rims and tires are awsome! I wonder if he suffers from any tire rubbing at the front when turning on full lock. Looks like Ive got to get the cheque book out again soon!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve - UK,

Thanks for the compliment! I too love the look and feel of this setup. I have a much harder time breaking the rears loose from a dead stop now. And when I do, they hook up quick.

As to any rubbing... The fronts only suffer very light rubbing at full suspension articulation (up) in the front. They rub every so slightly on a fender bolt that's at the top of the inner lip. Can't change it short of removing the bolt and trimming the inner fender area.

The rubbing is so slight and only at full articulation in the up direction that I've left it alone. Doesn't damage the car or the tires from what I can tell.

In the rear, I DID have to add a 4mm spacer to offset the rubbing at the upper, front, inside wheel well wall area as almost any upward articulation of the rear suspension was rubbing there. I let it go long enough to rub away the undercoating. Since the addition of the 4mm spacer (not in the pictures above), I have had no rubbing at all in the rear.

Now I just have to shoot some new undercoating on that area...

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Help please on tyre choice ???