Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Bulb Replacement

Old 07-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb Replacement

What is the best way to access the front and rear light compartments to change the turn signal bulbs? The owners' manual is no help, and I can't find specific directions on the forum either. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Default Re: Bulb Replacement

A beggar's bump. Any useful info from you folks that are more mechanically accomplished than I am would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The front bulbs are obvious under the hood. The rear are accessed through the two flaps/covers directly behind the lights in the trunk.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:00 PM

Thanks. No wonder I couldn't figure out how to get the lens covers off...

Old 07-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Bulb Replacement

The front turn signals can be changed easily from the top of the engine bay.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:59 PM

Done -- front and back. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:37 PM

yes i am trying to replace the front turn signal bulb (driver's side). AND that little disc that we have to turn counter clockwise doesn't turn... hmmm?

Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 AM

Is access to rear bulbs different for a roadster? I don't see a flap...

Old 03-09-2007, 11:41 AM

Could someone pleae give detailed instructions on replacing front right headlight bulb. I am having a difficult time getting my hand in there to twist the old bulb out and put the new one in. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The service manual says to remove the headlamp assembly. There are a couple of threads with links to download the service manual.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:03 PM

The best way to access the rear lights in the roadster, is to put the convertible top down half way.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danimal
The front bulbs are obvious under the hood. The rear are accessed through the two flaps/covers directly behind the lights in the trunk.
I know I am bringing up an old thread, but I jsut received the chrome bulbs to change my turn signals and was easily able to do the front, but as for the back... I am not sure how to get the "flaps" open, I try to be really gentle as I am scared for the car, but gentle doesn't handle it. Any advice on how to get the flaps open would be appreciated!!!

Old 04-22-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sidez
I know I am bringing up an old thread, but I just received the chrome bulbs to change my turn signals and was easily able to do the front, but as for the back... I am not sure how to get the "flaps" open, I try to be really gentle as I am scared for the car, but gentle doesn’t handle it. Any advice on how to get the flaps open would be appreciated!!!
From the inside of the hatch area, the flaps pulled out easily by using a fingernail or a small screwdriver under the small depression in the center of the lower edge of the flap (and yes, do it gently since the material under the surface of the flap is rather soft). The flap just seems to fit in the cut-out space and has no separate clip or attaching mechanism. Once the flap is off, pull out the bulb housing and re-set it in its original position after you change the bulb. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mss400
Is access to rear bulbs different for a roadster? I don't see a flap...
For the Roadster; Pull off fasteners that keep the side panels on in the trunk. I think there are about 4 or 5. Pull off the side panels/carpeting, and you will have access to the tail lights.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Angry Re: Bulb Replacement

Wow I feel like a klutz. I changed the left low beam last night and I am not sure how I even got the wire bail to hold the bulb in. Is there an easy way? I am almost afraid to change the right side as it looks even tighter. Is there a diagram of how that bail should look when properly installed? Currently frustrated!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaRon
Wow I feel like a klutz. I changed the left low beam last night and I am not sure how I even got the wire bail to hold the bulb in. Is there an easy way? I am almost afraid to change the right side as it looks even tighter. Is there a diagram of how that bail should look when properly installed? Currently frustrated!
~ the key is... to find someone with a small hand to assist... a very confined area/space to work in.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxm
From the inside of the hatch area, the flaps pulled out easily by using a fingernail or a small screwdriver under the small depression in the center of the lower edge of the flap (and yes, do it gently since the material under the surface of the flap is rather soft). The flap just seems to fit in the cut-out space and has no separate clip or attaching mechanism. Once the flap is off, pull out the bulb housing and re-set it in its original position after you change the bulb. Good luck.
thank you...

Old 04-24-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by andrew
~ the key is... to find someone with a small hand to assist... a very confined area/space to work in.
Thanks. I did download a Service information sheet that has pictures of how that bail wire attaches. I am sure the second one will be easier than the first.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FlaRon
Thanks. I did download a Service information sheet that has pictures of how that bail wire attaches. I am sure the second one will be easier than the first.
I was messing around with this the other night and I was getting downright pissed. Spent close to 2 hours and a six pack of beer trying to get the stupid clip back in. I read somewhere on this forum about using a mirror to assist in seeing where the top of the clip goes. Stole the wife's compact mirror and got them right in. Now I need to go buy one of those automotive mirrors so she can have hers back.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 AM

I did use a mirror and. . . DUH . . .it was so easy once I could see where the wire attached. It didn't take 5 minutes to do the second one and go back and redo the first one correctly.

Quick Reply: Bulb Replacement