Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Insta-Bling! Fantachrome

Old 07-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insta-Bling! Fantachrome

This in from Gizmodo:

Fantachrome Paint, Insta-Chrome
Chroming is an expensive industrial process that requires resources that are beyond most of our time, budgets and attention spans. But what if you could just spray a coat of chrome onto you favorite object? Now. You. Can.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Insta-Bling! Fantachrome

Midlife,

This looks very interesting. However it also looks to be complicated and expensive to get started. I don't think actually doing this would be practical for individuals.

That said, I have sent an inquiry on how to get started. I think this would be a natural addition to our ability to offer the wood and CF finishes.

Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted on any progress...

Old 07-29-2007, 11:22 AM

hm... sounds very interesting, but somehow I don't think it is all too high quality for some reason, but if someone can prove me wrong on that I might just have my entire car's exterior done in a chrome finish...

Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Forum Regular

I think it might not wear too well. It's water-based. That sounds very weird to me. None the less, I still find it terribly ugly.

They do have one product that might actually be useful for applications like our silver consoles. Their Ghostchrome finish might be just the thing if you ever had to repaint the entire console. Frankly, I can't imagine when that would be necessary.

Did you check out the Termocolor? It reacts to heat. Now if you painted your Crossfire with that you could certainly tell when someone leaned up against it and put their palm on the fender. Actually the have a gallery of pictures that include a small station-wagon pained with the Thremocolor. It's freaky looking.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife
I think it might not wear too well. It's water-based. That sounds very weird to me. None the less, I still find it terribly ugly.
Don't worry too much about the water base, most modern auto refinishes are these days.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This should solve the door handle problem. Since we can not dip the plastic door handles. I would like to buy I sample and try it on plastic.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:57 PM

I haven't had a response since emailing them on the 27th. Will ping them again.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 PM

OK, just got a response from Pier Carlo Biginelli
Inviato automaticamente dalla form di contatto di Newfantachrome - english::

It seems that they supply solutions for McLaren Formula 1, Ferrari Formula 1, Ducati Corsa, etc. However they don't have anyone in the US yet.

I asked what it would take to get started thinking it might be a good addition to the CF coating we are doing. I will have to spend a minimum of 30K euros for special equipment and supplies to get started. Then I can "choose to visit the plant in Italy to attend application training or (this is quite the option) if you prefer we send you a CD showing all steps of application of products."

With that in mind, I am now taking any and all investment inquiries! LMAO.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Life is random...so am I.

I'd kind of like to paint my whole long block assembly with that thermo color stuff...Might be kind of interesting!

I wonder how many times in a week you'd get pulled over if you chromed the whole exterior of your car?

Old 08-19-2007, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by apkano
I'd kind of like to paint my whole long block assembly with that thermo color stuff...Might be kind of interesting!

I wonder how many times in a week you'd get pulled over if you chromed the whole exterior of your car?
what would you get pulled over for? is that illegal in some sort of ridiculous way as well... hm...

30k for the equipment + training is not appealing at all... but I sure would pay a reasonable or even an unreasonable price for getting my car half chromed half carboned in a nice 2 tone style... but if their plant is in italy I don't see how this company can be at all useful to most crossfire owners... but the idea of a chrome covering for our parts is what many owners have been long dreaming about for things like door handles and such...

Old 08-19-2007, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sidez
what would you get pulled over for? is that illegal in some sort of ridiculous way as well... hm...

30k for the equipment + training is not appealing at all... but I sure would pay a reasonable or even an unreasonable price for getting my car half chromed half carboned in a nice 2 tone style... but if their plant is in italy I don't see how this company can be at all useful to most crossfire owners... but the idea of a chrome covering for our parts is what many owners have been long dreaming about for things like door handles and such...
I haven't given up on this yet. They are on vacation now, but I have been talking with a couple interested investors and we might check this out further. It would be a nice extension of offering the CF finish. And if we can get a regional exclusive...who knows?

Old 08-19-2007, 05:54 AM

O man that sure is worth drooling for... thanks again SRT for your troubles... and again I will support your products!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
I will have to spend a minimum of 30K euros for special equipment and supplies to get started. Then I can "choose to visit the plant in Italy to attend application training or (this is quite the option)
I'd jump on that in a minute.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:13 PM

imho, it looks like a chinese toy car containing impermissible levels of lead.