Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Does your driver side door stick out just enough to bother you when its closed?

Old 12-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your driver side door stick out just enough to bother you when its closed?

I have noticed this is hit or miss on Crossfires. Some look perfectly flush. Some stick out just enough to notice....1-2mm at most, where the door meets the 1/4 panel.

I know im picky but its been bothering me. I wonder if i can just adjust the striker?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:30 PM
RPM
Default Re: Does your driver side door stick out just enough to bother you when its closed?

Mine does not do that. Sorry.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:38 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Does your driver side door stick out just enough to bother you when its closed?

Mine does not do that either. I'm sure you can adjust it.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FP
Mine does not do that either. I'm sure you can adjust it.
Mine is flush.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Forum Regular

mine is also flush......

Old 12-28-2007, 05:26 PM

GOSH

Mine is flush too.

RP

ps I'm OCD , so thank GOD it is flush or I would be out there right now ruining something else to make it right.

Last edited by phyrephlyte; 12-28-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:14 PM

Both of mine are flush and look good.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Punkin
Both of mine are flush and look good.
Same here.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is good.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:55 PM

mine Are Fine Hmmm Need Alinement Or Its Been Hit.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Forum Regular

Nothing catches my eye regarding the alignment of the doors, so all is fine with my Xfire.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:03 PM

WTF guys!!!

I was hoping i wasnt the ONLY one. I just bought the car with 450 miles on it. The carfax was clean and the car looks flawless except for this...maybe i really am just an OCD **** retentive SOB but i just spent the last two hours taking measurements of the striker and what not and have yet to come up with a solid conclusion. The striker is NOT adjutable. When you remove the 2 torx screws you see there is a plastic insert and it has two alignment tabs so it can only be installed one way.

I will also like to note my car is black maybe this makes it more appearant. Also, the area that appears un-flush is only the area from the door handle up....from the door handle down looks fine.

If i push hard on the upper part it looks better aligned until i let off, then it goes back to where it was...this almost leads me to believe the rubber seal is thicker than it should be up top, but that sounds rediculous.

I must be on crack....but this is really irking me. Thanks to everyone who actually went out and checked.

Last edited by 240M3SRT; 12-28-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
WTF guys!!!

I was hoping i wasnt the ONLY one. I just bought the car with 450 miles on it. The carfax was clean and the car looks flawless except for this...maybe i really am just an OCD **** retentive SOB but i just spent the last two hours taking measurements of the striker and what not and have yet to come up with a solid conclusion. The striker is NOT adjutable. When you remove the 2 torx screws you see there is a plastic insert and it has two alignment tabs so it can only be installed one way.

I will also like to note my car is black maybe this makes it more appearant. Also, the area that appears un-flush is only the area from the door handle up....from the door handle down looks fine.

If i push hard on the upper part it looks better aligned until i let off, then it goes back to where it was...this almost leads me to believe the rubber seal is thicker than it should be up top, but that sounds rediculous.

I must be on crack....but this is really irking me. Thanks to everyone who actually went out and checked.
I happen to be in the same boat as you, 6000 miles on a clean Carfax 05
Alabaster Coupe. The drivers side door only has EXACTLY the same "problem" as you have described here. The only reason I haven't looked at it now, is the fact that it is covered up in the garage for the winter right now.
I'm sure as I start driving, cleaning and waxing the car again, it will freak me out too. This car was definately never hit! I have only owned it for a few months, so it hasn't hit me yet. I know the person it came from, so I know it background is good.

Happy New Year to All
Paul

Old 12-29-2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by simajanpa
I happen to be in the same boat as you, 6000 miles on a clean Carfax 05
Alabaster Coupe. The drivers side door only has EXACTLY the same "problem" as you have described here. The only reason I haven't looked at it now, is the fact that it is covered up in the garage for the winter right now.
I'm sure as I start driving, cleaning and waxing the car again, it will freak me out too. This car was definately never hit! I have only owned it for a few months, so it hasn't hit me yet. I know the person it came from, so I know it background is good.

Happy New Year to All
Paul
Yay...im not alone...lol.

FWIW, i work at a dealership and we had 2 crossfires on the lot...1 silver srt-6 and one white conv. Today i looked closely and it appears as if they stick out slightly too, though not as noticeable as mine. I wonder if black just shows it more

Im wondering as i shut the door multiple times if the plastic piece on the outside of the striker will wear down. Im even considering ordering another striker and grinding down the plastic piece so the door will shut further in.

What color is Alabaster?

Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 PM

Yay...im not alone...lol.

FWIW, i work at a dealership and we had 2 crossfires on the lot...1 silver srt-6 and one white conv. Today i looked closely and it appears as if they stick out slightly too, though not as noticeable as mine. I wonder if black just shows it more

Im wondering as i shut the door multiple times if the plastic piece on the outside of the striker will wear down. Im even considering ordering another striker and grinding down the plastic piece so the door will shut further in.

What color is Alabaster?
Alabaster is a beautiful name for white! I have the Charcoal/Cedar Interior,
very sporty IMHO.
I just was working on my car for the last few hours painting the inside of the wheelwells black. The OCD part of me would always want this area clean, and I think that would just be asking too much from me and my cleaning products

I checked the door thing again and I should be able to live with it, for now.

Cheers
Paul

Old 12-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What color is Alabaster?
Alabaster is one of Mercedes' names for White. The 2008 SL550 can be purchased in Alabaster White. So can the SL55 AMG. Whereas my father in laws E550 4matic, the SLK350 and most others come in Arctic White.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Forum Regular

Just sold my alabaster white benz.....love that color....

Old 01-04-2008, 11:41 AM

It seems most xfire owners arent havnig this problem or arent picky enough to notice.

FWIW, even though i removed the striker and it looked non adjustable appearantly there is some adjustment becuase i took my car to the local body shop where i work and within 2 tries of loosening the torx and tapping with a hammer(pretty hard) the door is now much better aligned as far as how flush it is compared to the rear 1/4 panel. Took the guy literally 2 minutes.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems most xfire owners arent havnig this problem or arent picky enough to notice.

FWIW, even though i removed the striker and it looked non adjustable appearantly there is some adjustment becuase i took my car to the local body shop where i work and within 2 tries of loosening the torx and tapping with a hammer(pretty hard) the door is now much better aligned as far as how flush it is compared to the rear 1/4 panel. Took the guy literally 2 minutes.
My coupe is black and has flawless door fit. Glad to hear that you got it worked out!

Old 01-12-2008, 06:30 AM

BTW all, I too adjusted my drivers side door the other day and now its fine.

Thanks 240M3SRT for the heads up on the easy fix.

Paul

Quick Reply: Does your driver side door stick out just enough to bother you when its closed?