Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

headlamp assembly

Old 02-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: headlamp assembly

First I am sorry to post to an old subject. I am new, finally got my registration working, and wanted to get some advice. My headlamp assembly is broken, both have cracks and now one of the units has faulty wiring. So, I am looking to get them both replaced. Could anyone recommend a parts store, 3rd party wise, for the assembly?

Thank you so much!
Rob

Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Default Re: headlamp assembly

Take there advice first, buying the headlamps new & replacing them is a extreme cost. New
l/h & R/h on ebay new, is 900.00 plus shipping dealer you can add another
30%

Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Nice job!

But I have never seen them haze on the bottom of the lens.

Was your car left upside-down for a long time?

Just kiddin'!
My 2005 headlight covers are really bad on the bottom of the lens as well. I buffed with 3M product which appears to have done an OK job but it looks like they are equally bad on the INSIDE. I can't find any info or discussion on this. Anyone? Tried to remove the entire headlight and couldn't, finally found instructions, but before I try I wanted to find out if I can remove the cover to clean the inside or is it all one sealed unit? Seems like a great deal of work to remove.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:47 PM

The headlamp is all 1 unit, you will not gain access to inside for cleaning. as for removing and replacing after lots of trial & error its not as difficult as it seems, anyway you look at let a pro do it, i still had to have them professionally aligned & the mechanic stated he would have done the install with alignment for no additional charge.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Dang, that's what I thought. Thank you much! Saved me a great deal of time.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 AM

All this commentary on how-to/what-to do to remedy the plastic lens deterioration is great. I have used one of the multi-wet-sand-and-polish solutions with no better than acceptable results (not, say GREAT). My thought from the jump has been: why in the hell did Chrysler/MB not go for shatterproof glass? I have an '02 MB C240 whose glass lenses are as flawless as the day the car left the factory. I hate the idea of having to spend what we are needing to, in order to rectify what I regard as a terminal design defect. All that said, it's really academic why this was not the chosen course. Is anybody making aftermarket glass replacement lens/housings? Short of that, are there any worthwhile suggestions for the preservation of a restored (de-fogged) lens/housing (I've read the use wax, vaseline, spray clearcoat, etc., and don't see a definitive solution among them)?

Many thanks,

George