Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Oil neck removal? (Picture)

Old 09-14-2015, 01:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil neck removal? (Picture)

SRT-6%20oil%20cap%20ramp%20kraftwerk%20tickets-7_zpsawvxfoco.jpg

How do I remove this entire assembly? I see a diagram of it and there are 2 o-rings sandwiched between the "neck" and then the cap.

Thankyou!

Old 09-14-2015, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil neck removal? (Picture)

Originally Posted by 4drturbo

How do I remove this entire assembly? I see a diagram of it and there are 2 o-rings sandwiched between the "neck" and then the cap.

Thankyou!
You have to remove the whole oil breather cover to get to a screw inside. Once removed it becomes obvious, one cross-head screw on the inside to release pressure then a quarter turn of the whole neck to remove.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:11 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by toob
You have to remove the whole oil breather cover to get to a screw inside. Once removed it becomes obvious, one cross-head screw on the inside to release pressure then a quarter turn of the whole neck to remove.
Not entirely true. While it can be done this way, it is easier to insert a thin strong screwdriver between the valve cover and the catch extension on the filler neck, then rotate.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Not entirely true. While it can be done this way, it is easier to insert a thin strong screwdriver between the valve cover and the catch extension on the filler neck, then rotate.
Can one reach in through the oil hole and reach the 2 catches and push them down while turning?

Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Can one reach in through the oil hole and reach the 2 catches and push them down while turning?
Those are not catches inside, just a spring tension plate.
I suppose if you were big and strong like Max, you could pull up on the neck against the 2 tension fingers and clear the catch while turning.
It's close in design to those medicine bottles where you have to push down the catch to turn the top.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:08 AM

Those are not catches inside, just a spring tension plate.
I suppose if you were big and strong like Max, you could pull up on the neck against the 2 tension fingers and clear the catch while turning.
It's close in design to those medicine bottles where you have to push down the catch to turn the top.
By "2 catches", I meant the 2 arms of the spring clip. You know what I meant!?

Old 09-14-2015, 11:46 AM

By "2 catches", I meant the 2 arms of the spring clip. You know what I meant!?
I know what you meant. Hell, Max, you could probably remove it by just getting mad and jerking it out.
What's 2 measly little spring fingers to you ?

Old 09-14-2015, 11:48 AM

I am having the breather and valve covers powder coated locally so taking the cover off to make it easier to take the neck off would be great.

Isn't there a mod that gets rid of the neck so you can just have an oil cap on top of the cover?

Old 09-14-2015, 01:20 PM

I am having the breather and valve covers powder coated locally so taking the cover off to make it easier to take the neck off would be great.

Isn't there a mod that gets rid of the neck so you can just have an oil cap on top of the cover?
No mod needed! The extension is added only to match the height of the engine cover. The cap sits flush like any mortal car...

Old 09-14-2015, 05:34 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Not the best pics I have done but they do show the catch that locks the extension to the breather cover.
As stated above, using a screwdriver lift the extension catch up while unscrewing the extension. There is no need to take anything apart.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P5310033 (800x640).jpg (445.7 KB, 943 views)
File Type: jpg
P5310031 (800x669).jpg (366.8 KB, 934 views)
Old 09-15-2015, 12:13 PM

Thank you for the pictures!

Well I made some progress this morning on removing the valve covers. Thought I would do a bit of work on it before work this afternoon.

Here are my thoughts and questions with some pictures:

I bought these a while back for my Crossfire. Unfortunately I could not use any of them for my coil packs. The base is too fat where it attaches to the socket and will not fit int he recessed hole. Fortunately I had a star bit that was the right size and I use a pair of vice grips and grabbed the end of the bit and broke it loose on the ones closest to the firewall that have limited space. I used a screw driver thing that you can attach those bits to for the other 2 near the front of the car. So got all those off.

I have a nice set of deep well E sockets for the valve cover bolts. I can barely get to the one on the drivers side near the firewall due to limited space with the heatshield but it is do-able

Does this steel line have to be removed to remove the valve cover from the drivers side?
IMAG1227_zpss82ga5vi.jpg

Idea where I am at with everything removed (Pass side) Spark plug wires do not have to be removed from anything to get valve covers off correct?
IMAG1225_zpsn0odp3rc.jpg

That shiny metal tubing in the front, that is just filled with air correct? Looks pretty easy to remove, I was thinking I could remove that and have that powdercoated too.

Thank you for all the help and insight, I am VERY cautious with this car and want to do everything correct with no hangups.
-Stephen

Last edited by 4drturbo; 09-15-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:05 PM

Thank you for the pictures!

Well I made some progress this morning on removing the valve covers. Thought I would do a bit of work on it before work this afternoon.

Here are my thoughts and questions with some pictures:

I bought these a while back for my Crossfire. Unfortunately I could not use any of them for my coil packs. The base is too fat where it attaches to the socket and will not fit int he recessed hole. Fortunately I had a star bit that was the right size and I use a pair of vice grips and grabbed the end of the bit and broke it loose on the ones closest to the firewall that have limited space. I used a screw driver thing that you can attach those bits to for the other 2 near the front of the car. So got all those off.

I have a nice set of deep well E sockets for the valve cover bolts. I can barely get to the one on the drivers side near the firewall due to limited space with the heatshield but it is do-able

Does this steel line have to be removed to remove the valve cover from the drivers side?

Idea where I am at with everything removed (Pass side) Spark plug wires do not have to be removed from anything to get valve covers off correct?

That shiny metal tubing in the front, that is just filled with air correct? Looks pretty easy to remove, I was thinking I could remove that and have that powdercoated too.

Thank you for all the help and insight, I am VERY cautious with this car and want to do everything correct with no hangups.
-Stephen
Pic #2 is your gas line. I do believe it has to come off to lift the vlave cover enough to clear the valve train underneath.

That's all I got, bud.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:23 PM

Yes, the fuel supply line has to be disconnected to get the passenger side valve cover off.
I think the 'shiny thing' you are referring to on an SRT6 is the air pump line, if so, yes it can be removed and powdercoated.
No, you don't have to remove the plug wires to remove a valve cover.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:06 PM

Pic #2 is your gas line. I do believe it has to come off to lift the vlave cover enough to clear the valve train underneath.

That's all I got, bud.
Right on thanks.

Yes, the fuel supply line has to be disconnected to get the passenger side valve cover off.
I think the 'shiny thing' you are referring to on an SRT6 is the air pump line, if so, yes it can be removed and powdercoated.
No, you don't have to remove the plug wires to remove a valve cover.
You mean drivers side?

Cool cool. Any tips on removing that fuel line? Is there a special procedure when removing it? Like relieving the fuel pressure? Or can I just disconnect it slowly since it is a hard fitting and have a rag ready? Car has been sitting for 3 days now, so that might help with the pressure?

Last edited by 4drturbo; 09-16-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:52 AM

Right on thanks.

You mean drivers side?

Cool cool. Any tips on removing that fuel line? Is there a special procedure when removing it? Like relieving the fuel pressure? Or can I just disconnect it slowly since it is a hard fitting and have a rag ready? Car has been sitting for 3 days now, so that might help with the pressure?
Of course I meant the drivers side. You can just have a rag below it and loosen it slowly.
Or you can put a rag under the fuel rail test point at the passenger side front of the engine and depress the Schrader valve.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:36 AM

I will just try to unscrew it slowly with a huge towel underneath. I tried pressing in the schrader valve last night and nothing came out. Maybe I didn't press in hard enough.

Thank you!

Edit:
Got the valve covers off the head. The main issue was getting the coilpacks out of the way. Had issues with the coil on each head near the firewall, kept the cover from coming off. Had to maneuver it just right.

Any tips on getting the breathers off? They are stuck on there pretty damn good. I am thinking about heating them up either with a hair dryer or putting them in the oven for a while at like 200.

Last edited by 4drturbo; 09-16-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:57 PM

I will just try to unscrew it slowly with a huge towel underneath. I tried pressing in the schrader valve last night and nothing came out. Maybe I didn't press in hard enough.

Thank you!

Edit:
Got the valve covers off the head. The main issue was getting the coilpacks out of the way. Had issues with the coil on each head near the firewall, kept the cover from coming off. Had to maneuver it just right.

Any tips on getting the breathers off? They are stuck on there pretty damn good. I am thinking about heating them up either with a hair dryer or putting them in the oven for a while at like 200.
Start by removing the M5 screws....

A little heat and pry on them...gently....

Old 09-16-2015, 01:39 PM

Yrs they are out.Put in oven @ 200 for about ten minutes. No go. Using hands to try to pull off. No where to pry really on pass side. Afraid of breaking/warping. Argghh.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:08 PM

Yrs they are out.Put in oven @ 200 for about ten minutes. No go. Using hands to try to pull off. No where to pry really on pass side. Afraid of breaking/warping. Argghh.
I always use a small (1/8") flat screwdriver and twist.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:01 AM

Got it off! Found a thread on benzworld via google on a different car, but with similar breather covers. He used a wooden down on the underside and hammered to remove the breather covers. I made my own makeshift dowel that I had to modify with a box knife. It worked!
Now to get these puppies powdercoated!

Here are pictures of the access holes with the breather cover removed:

^ Passenger

Driver

Got the neck off on the valve cover. Now the oil cap will fit directly on top. I noticed there is no rubber o-ring on the cap. Is one needed since I am placing directly on the valve cover now?

Quick Reply: Oil neck removal? (Picture)