Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.
View Poll Results: Would you be
I'm interested in purchasing this Carbon Fiber hood for the Crossfire in a forum bulk buy!
84.13%
That design is beautiful, but not my style!
15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

Old 03-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status

I would really like to see some sort of functional vent. Worst comes to worst, maybe have some sort of removable panel under the vent for people who need it (like the Evo 8/9's). But like Woody said with his design, a lot of times water is not an issue if the location is thought out properly.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

water shouldnt be an issue to begin with. Everything underhood is sealed and water tight. All connectors are of the weatherpak variety and have gaskets/seals.

You could dump 5 gallon buckets at a time underhood while the cars running and it wont affect anything.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Infinite
water shouldnt be an issue to begin with. Everything underhood is sealed and water tight. All connectors are of the weatherpak variety and have gaskets/seals.

You could dump 5 gallon buckets at a time underhood while the cars running and it wont affect anything.
Very true...Only issue may be aftermarket parts (IE Hid's) installed without the proper installation techniques. THe one thing I would be worried about is the Fan relay/resistor box by the air pump on SRT-6's. But that can be solved with some weather proof sealant or something as simple as a plastic bag(ghetto but effective).

Old 03-14-2010, 11:33 AM

very true, but it would have to be raining awfully hard for rain to reach that point underhood.

My HID's are getting installed behind the bumper, so i dont have the ugly boxes underhood. I really wanna work out an underhood cleaning, wiretuck and such/

Old 03-14-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Infinite
very true, but it would have to be raining awfully hard for rain to reach that point underhood.

My HID's are getting installed behind the bumper, so i dont have the ugly boxes underhood. I really wanna work out an underhood cleaning, wiretuck and such/
There is a good spot right under the headlamps on the frame rails that is perfect for the HID boxes. Hides everything. I need to extended my bulb-out indicator harnesses to hide those tho.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:47 AM

thats exactly where i planned on putting them

Old 03-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try spraying water onto your supercharger belt then kick it. You'll smell the belt slipping. A water trap isn't hard to make. This trap drains well weither the car is facing up hill or down hill. Just keep it a low profile. Squirrel Crusher

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
R1- 1A.jpg (169.5 KB, 83 views)
R1-22.jpg (83.1 KB, 89 views)
R1-18.jpg (102.5 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Squirrel Crusher; 03-14-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would definitely prefer an actual open vent, but anxiously looking forward to the final pics regardless

Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X
I would like to know what you intend to do around the area where the OEM chrome wings are located? Are there going to be the same mounting points or are you going to incorporate CF where the wings used to be and make it 1 piece formed. I like the idea of smooth CF where the wings were, I am not sure if others would agree, but on my car, that would look tough

Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I would like to know what you intend to do around the area where the OEM chrome wings are located? Are there going to be the same mounting points or are you going to incorporate CF where the wings used to be and make it 1 piece formed. I like the idea of smooth CF where the wings were, I am not sure if others would agree, but on my car, that would look tough

The mounting point will be the same as the OEM crossfire hood.

Nevertheless, with time and money anything can happen. The design team do have the stock crossfire wings. I will ask to see if they will consider making a replica in carbon fiber, and let me use it during the test fit. I actually though about it a while ago, but the truth is that I think if we got rid of the wings it would take away from the car a little. So I guess if people are willing to pay for a replacement part, then they should have the choice to do so.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I like the progress so far. Keep it going. We NEED this!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Is there any chance we can buy one just the way it is so we can do to it as we want? I'd even be willing to send it back for you guys to make a mold off it if you like how it turned out.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by billvp
would definitely prefer an actual open vent, but anxiously looking forward to the final pics regardless
The verdict is in.......... The Carbon Fiber hood will come with closed vents, therefore allowing hood owners to make their own decision to manually open the vent slots to make each hood vent fully functional on there own terms. This allows the company to be free of any fault due to mechanical failure that can be caused by rain.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rcompart
Is there any chance we can buy one just the way it is so we can do to it as we want? I'd even be willing to send it back for you guys to make a mold off it if you like how it turned out.
That's not a bad Idea.

I should have told them that people were interested in just a fiberglass copy before they went to town on it.

fiberglass7.jpg

That copy was $1400 to make just because it was a one time deal. The money I spent on it will go towards the final carbon fiber design. So, in order to make another OEM fiberglass copy, they would have to start from scratch and go through every step that I've outlined in this thread. On another note, you could just ask to buy the final fiberglass design from me that everyone's carbon fiber hood will be based on, take that one home and throw together a bondo / fiberglass creation, then send it back to be manufactured. Anything is possible if you have the time and money.

Thanks,

Mad Med

BTW I wish everyone was nice like you rcompart
"I'd even be willing to send it back for you guys to make a mold off it if you like how it turned out"
I would still have some money for a tune come JUNE

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 03-15-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Med05X
That's not a bad Idea.

I should have told them that people were interested in just a fiberglass copy before they went to town on it.

That copy was $1400 to make just because it was a one time deal. The money I spent on it will go towards the final carbon fiber design. So, in order to make another OEM fiberglass copy, they would have to start from scratch and go through every step that I've outlined in this thread. On another note, you could just ask to buy the final fiberglass design from me that everyone's carbon fiber hood will be based on, take that one home and throw together a bondo / fiberglass creation, then send it back to be manufactured. Anything is possible if you have the time and money.

Thanks,

Mad Med

BTW I wish everyone was nice like you rcompart
"I'd even be willing to send it back for you guys to make a mold off it if you like how it turned out"
I would still have some money for a tune come JUNE
Let me know what I need to do. Hopefully they didn't destroy the mold they made to make the one they're working on now in the process of removing it. If that's the case, they could make another one and we'd be ready steady go. I'd personally keep that tucked away and unmodified for future use when it becomes absolutely impossible to find oem hoods for this car. Keep this stuff going yourself and you're gonna go places.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 PM

I am in on a hood, really would like to keep the stock look with the lines and all with just vents. I know you cant please everyone. Hopefully all turns out well, start a group buy and get a wing in the works once it is finished.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
I am in on a hood, really would like to keep the stock look with the lines and all with just vents. I know you cant please everyone. Hopefully all turns out well, start a group buy and get a wing in the works once it is finished.
I thought the lines were ok until I saw the crossfire with the jag hood. The hood looked amazing. I also don't like how Chrysler has put those lines on every car they make. So now our hoods look just like the Chrysler mini van, suv, Sebring, etc.

I'm not going to do a bulk buy or anything until I can verify the prototype meets the design requirements. I will have some local friends help take pic's during the test fit.

Last edited by Mad_Med05X; 03-16-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Forum Regular

sounds good ... I figured if nothing else, I could have a local shop manually open the vents

I definitely agree about taking the lines out of the hood

(saving my pennies )

Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 AM

leave the lines, seriously, when all the other cars are long forgotten, the crossfire will be a classic, and remembered for those lines...

Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you going to have two molds when your done with this? One for the fiberglass (stock) hood and one for the carbon fiber (modded) hood. If you are can't they make a carbon fiber hood out of both molds?

Quick Reply: Vented Carbon Fiber Hood Design Status