Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Patching screw holes in front bumper

Old 01-07-2011, 06:19 PM
JnC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patching screw holes in front bumper

Gang,

I do not want a front license plate but now I have ugly screw holes. What suggestion do you have for filling these in so that it looks better then this?

Thank you,
James

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1554.JPG (162.8 KB, 61 views)
IMG_1555.JPG (174.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Patching screw holes in front bumper

James, will the center rectangle rub out or is it into the paint? If it won't rub out, you will have to have your bumper repaired and painted.

If the center will rub clean, you can find flush plastic plugs to fit into the holes. Paint them in your color before installing. I have seen this done on yellow and are nearly invisible.

James

Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
James, will the center rectangle rub out or is it into the paint? If it won't rub out, you will have to have your bumper repaired and painted.

If the center will rub clean, you can find flush plastic plugs to fit into the holes. Paint them in your color before installing. I have seen this done on yellow and are nearly invisible.

James
thats your best bet, if it wont rub out your screwed tho

Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

only two options I know of....I had my body shop fix a ding in mine for $200...painted the whole bumper cover...so, the plugs is a great way to go if you can buff her out...

Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 PM
JnC

Originally Posted by James1549

James

James,

Yes the "rectangle" rubs off and can be buffed away. I'll have to look for these clear plugs you mentioned. I believe the color code is in the VIN code, correct?

Thanks,
James

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 PM
JnC

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
only two options I know of....I had my body shop fix a ding in mine for $200...painted the whole bumper cover...so, the plugs is a great way to go if you can buff her out...

Thanks oledoc2u. I think I'll try the plugs first.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those plugs (fasteners) are an excellent idea. We use them at work, if you have a hard time finding clear and want to try black just PM me and I'll send you out a pair. Ace hardware sells them too.

Pooly

Old 01-07-2011, 08:44 PM

Good post! I was a bit angry when Carmax stuck that plate on the front after I had purchased the car.

You mentioned that Ace Hardware sells them. Is there a name for the fasteners? Or an isle I should look on? thanks.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I cant seem to find any in the garage right now to post a pic. They are plastic, with a round head and have "threads" so to speak, that grip as you push them in the hole. They come in various sizes and head size. At ace, they are in the back section that has the little drawers of springs, clips etc. If you cant locate them PM me. Im here to help

Pooly

Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 PM

The yellow car I am speaking of belongs to the Rapps. You may want to PM Ann and ask her what she used. Hers are nearly invisible.

James

Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Lowes also has them, Thats what I did. Painted them with touch up paint and pressed in the holes.
It looks fine. North Carolina is talking about requiring front tags so I'll be ready if they do.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by JnC
James,

I believe the color code is in the VIN code, correct?
The color is not in the VIN per-say, but it can tell you, if they have the info. Watch ebay for touch up paint in your color.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wife's '05 had a the front plate holes when we got her, did the paint the plugs and installed them. Hers is an Alabaster, so I just used white Krylon for plastic chairs. They've been on there a year, and you still have to get within a few feet to tell the diff in color.

Attached Images
IMGP1534.JPG (2.98 MB, 35 views)
Old 01-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue, however, the car which came from Ohio, had front license and I’ll assume the license hanger was installed at the dealer. However the holes got there, they were drilled about 3/16 inch off center and noticeable.

So, after giving some thought my solution was those plastic push rivets that you can get from the auto parts stores. I bought then with a large rim diameter, because I was going to drill new holes to be closer to the centerline of the bumper and needed some extra diameter to hide the offset holes. I purchased some matching spray-can paint and primed, painted and clear-coated them.

They actually don’t look too bad for the small amount of money spent on this project, and I had enough paint to paint the grill to match.

Last edited by vpats; 01-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM

The following link is where I bought my color matched paint, this outfit is just south of me and I was very pleased with the product, but Krylon is cheaper.

Automotive Touch Up Paint

Old 01-16-2011, 08:28 PM
JnC

Originally Posted by smfrycruzr
Wife's '05 had a the front plate holes when we got her, did the paint the plugs and installed them. Hers is an Alabaster, so I just used white Krylon for plastic chairs. They've been on there a year, and you still have to get within a few feet to tell the diff in color.

smfrycruzr - you did a nice job. thank you. i love the photo.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 PM
JnC

Originally Posted by vpats
The following link is where I bought my color matched paint, this outfit is just south of me and I was very pleased with the product, but Krylon is cheaper.

Automotive Touch Up Paint

Thank you vpats. i will look into this.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Here is another link for paint identification and part numbers:

http://www.mopar.ca/en/accessories/p...nt%20Guide.pdf

Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

I'll chime in with another internet touch-up paint source:

Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint Touch Up Accessories

I have paint pens for all my cars. Easy to use whenever a small chip occurs. These guys do a very good job of matching OEM colors.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 01-17-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Like oledoc2u said above, having the front bumper cover repaired professionally & repainted will run you $200 to $300. Most body shops, worth their salt, will remove the bumper cover, repair it & then spray it in the paint booth. Then re-install it. Best way to get a more uniform covering that matches.

My rear bumper cover was repaired this way after it was damaged by some jerk who couldn't drive around in a parking lot at a nearby resort we stayed at one weekend. Scaped my left rear and broke the taillight. Cost me $350 for bumper repairs & re-paint (not including taillight, which I found on eBay).

Actually using the plastic push-in retainers or finishing plugs is a really great idea. These will mount nearly flush with the bumper and be hardly noticeable when painted the body color. They have tremendous grip and have to be practically destroyed to get them out. So make sure when you decide to install that you don't plan on taking them out again.

I bought a kit some years back that has all different types & sizes in it. They come in handy from time to time during various auto projects. You'll also find these in the HELP section of your local self-serve auto parts store.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 01-17-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Patching screw holes in front bumper