Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Do HIDs need a relay?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do HIDs need a relay?

Any. Way of fixing the shielding? I would like to potentially changeout the head unit to something that has outputs for iPod etc... Cd is so 1990 lol but I am a little Leary to do so due to the fussy electronics on these beasts... What's your take on that? Should I be fearful in changing the unit out? Did you swap out speakers, sub, amp as well or is that all still stock?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh, not at all. Get to changing it out asap and have actual useful features built it. Make sure the new unit is 4 volt preout and can handle 2ohm and you're good to go.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:46 PM

What would deem as useful features? And what is the significance in the 4 volt preout? And can handle 2 ohm.... I am a layman when it comes to stereo equipment lol hence need more explanation lol

Old 02-26-2016, 10:54 PM
Received 561 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by MB04XFIRE
Has anyone also experience the radio going fuzzy when you turn on your hid lights? What could be the cause?
I also experience this when I put my car in reverse but that is because my backups are led lights, canbus issues I'm sure..
But the hid light with ththe canbus harness.. What up with that??
If you are to the Canadian code then your low beam headlights are on most of the time. So your radio would be buzzy most of the time it is on.
This is a popular change for the OEM radios. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-26-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:00 PM

Yup there is a slight buzz with the hid dims and even a little more when I add the fogs..

Old 02-27-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by MB04XFIRE
Has anyone also experience the radio going fuzzy when you turn on your hid lights? What could be the cause?
I also experience this when I put my car in reverse but that is because my backups are led lights, canbus issues I'm sure..
But the hid light with ththe canbus harness.. What up with that??
I had the same problem with my morimoto kit, tried everything that was recommended to fix, nothing worked. Spoke to someone in the know, and was told it was the ballasts and nothing would fix the problem but a quality ballest. He recommended a HYLUX brand ballast. Problem solved

Old 02-27-2016, 07:59 PM

Would my morimoto's be compatible with the hylux ballasts?

Old 02-27-2016, 10:49 PM

Yes, I used everything else from the morimoto kit. The bulbs and the harness are of very good quality. The HYLUX ballests can be pricey, I found a set on clearance for 60.00. If I can find a link I will post it.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:52 PM

I just noticed that you are in Canada. There is a vender on eBay from Canada that sells HYLUX ballasts. Just search HYLUX ballasts on eBay.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:59 PM
Forum Regular

Oh yeah, some of the ballasts have made that issue come to light before. The new ballasts from Morimoto solved the issue when they released the new generation of them. Personally, even the old ones never gave me that problem in my car, so it must not be a ballast only issue then. Somewhere, something in the car has poor RF shielding looks like. Could only be certain cars in our batch honestly.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:13 PM

Perfect, thanks

Old 03-03-2016, 12:29 AM

I have the new style morimoto ballasts. I tried a few things to see if I could get rid of the radio frequency interference coming from my HID's affecting my radio.
I began by disconecting my drivers side hid to see if the problem was still there, I noticed that the static was gone, hence the problem lies with my drivers side light..
I reconnected the driver side light but now removed the fastener that fastened the ballast bracket to the lug on the wheel well in the engine compartment.. After doing so I noticed that the radio worked fine after doing this.. I then re fastened the ballast bracket to the lug and the interference came back... Hence I think that I can conclude that fastening the bracket on my drivers side to the body and or having the metal to metal contact from the bottom of the ballast to the body of the car is what is causing my problem...
I ran out of time, and think that the next thing to do will be to turn the lights on again, put the radio on and all the while remove the fastener and see at what point the interference stops.. And then perhaps remove the steel ballast bracket and make a plastic bracket instead and fast it that way and try it again... Perhaps that will fix the problem.. If that solves it then it will be time to try the same with my fogs and eliminate that.... One thing at a time though lol.. I will keep you posted as to my findings..

Old 03-03-2016, 12:51 PM

Good info. I must of had the old style ballasts. I fastened mine with Velcro , no metal to metal contact. Please keep us informed as I am going to install another set in my roadster.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:52 PM
Forum Regular

Odd part is, mine have always been mounted metal to metal and never had interference. Maybe the Kenwood just doesn't suffer from that issue?

Old 03-06-2016, 07:03 PM

I played around with them a little more and noticed that it's all about location, location, location lol... Moving them around Alitalia drastically changes the radio reception. I ordered some ferrite chokes and should get them in a week or so, I will try putting those in and see if it helps the situation. I will update when I install those and see if it helps.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Forum Regular

Sounds good then, post when you have new results from the ferrite use.