Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Factory Wiper Blades

Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Factory Wiper Blades

I just received PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Refills (20" & 21") this afternoon. Ordered one set from Tire Rack (20" for $9.00 ea + S&H) and the other from Turner Motorsport (21" for $9.79 ea + S&H). Ordered on Wed; arrived on FRI. Not Bad!!!

Turns out the 21" also fit both DS & PS of our 2006 VW New Beetle Ragtop. I replaced the wiper blades on the VW last year right after I bought it in April. But I kept the factory wiper blade holders. VW's DS has the same downforce spoiler like the XFire. (Note: My 1993 SSGT has a similar downforce spoiler on the DS but the wiper arm is designed so that the spoiler is mounted to it, not the blade holder. Allows one to use anyone's wiper blade assembly. ) Anyway, I just installed the PIAA 21" versions in the VW blade holders. They fit perfectly and will allow me to keep using the factory blade holders.

Will plan to install one of the 20" refills on the XFire's DS tomorrow morning. Should be the same relatively easy task. I haven't replaced the wipers on the XFire yet and it's been 2-1/2 years since I bought it in OCT, 2008. Normally, I do this every 12-15 months on cars I drive fairly routinely, but the XFire doesn't fall into that group. So I figure it's time to do this.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 04-08-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Factory Wiper Blades

Ha, on Wed I tried to replace the wipers on the SRT-6 I bought last weekend. I bought a set of Rain-X Latitude floppy silicone blades for one of our SUV's and the XFire. I tackled the SUV first and that was a 2 minute job because it used the standard "small J hook" mount that comes installed on the wipers.

The XFire uses a "large J hook" and that's where the problem started. You have to remove the "small" adapter and replace it with the "universal" fit adapter. OK, after 20 minutes of reading and sorting through all the extra plastic bits in the package I had the proper adapter installed. So, I slide it on the XFire wiper arm and voila...I mean crap...the center section of the blade isn't contacting the glass. The shape of the arm prevents the "universal" adapter from seating properly or vice versa. Push the blade flat, and the adapter pops open. Snap the adapter shut and the blades bows up in the middle. Arrrgh!

So, now it's back to auto zone to return the Rain-X wipers and pick up a set of Bosch Icons. Maybe German wipers are made to fit German cars.

And while we're talking about wipers, the thought occurred to me...with the "hatchback" design of the Crossfire and the long flat glass back there, I'm mildly surprised that Mercedes/Chrysler didn't fit a rear wiper to the car. Can some of you more experienced owners comment on the rear window. Does the airflow keep it reasonably clean? Does it crud up like the rear window on an SUV? Does a little Rain-X work wonders keeping it clean?

EDIT: My bad. I was too dumb to understand the directions about which adapter to use for the large J-hook arm on the SRT-6. A guy behind the counter at Advance Auto set me straight and the car is now sporting new Rain-X Latitude wipers. The factory wipers are safely stored in case I ever want to go back to factory condition.

Last edited by Spudracer; 04-10-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Why throw away the OEM wiper holders, one of which has the spoiler on it, when for less money and a little effort you can replace just the the blade itself?
The OEM blade has to be removed with the aid of a knife to relieve the molded in clips. Once you have done that you can install new refill blades which have removable clips, henceforth the replacement blades are just cut to length and snapped in place.
The refill blades are harder to find but worth it as they are cheaper and you get to keep the OEM holders.
Throwing the OEM assembly away means you are tossing the good part away along with the bad part. The manufacturers want you do do this so that you buy a more expensive part and sometimes what you get does not fit really to well.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Forum Regular

The reason I'm not heartbroken over tossing the OEM wiper is that the Rain-X latitude and Bosch Icon blades both have a full length spoiler / air foil molded into the design. And it actually does some good because the blades themselves are extremely flexible and curve to fit the windshield. And the new blades use engineered silicone polymers in place of rubber so they tend to be quieter and last longer. And finally, I hate the mechanical spider that older designs use. It's a trap for leaves in the fall and a place for ice to cling in the winter. The floppy blades don't have these problems. I'm not at all troubled to spend $40 for a set of wipers once a year for each of our cars to have a clear view of the road.

The one caveat is that the floppy blades have to actually fit. If I can't find a set that work with the XFire J-arms, I will do exactly as you suggest.

Last edited by Spudracer; 04-08-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:43 PM

The interesting thing about the PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Refill is their stated claim that using the wiper with this refill is like swiping your windshield with a Rain-X-like product. PIAA claims that this wiper will apply a water repellent thin film to the windshield with repeated use. May be a marketing gimmick, but time will tell. (Note: I do like the Rain-X product on the windshield. The results are absolutely amazing!)

Last edited by dedwards0323; 04-09-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spudracer
The reason I'm not heartbroken over tossing the OEM wiper is that the Rain-X latitude and Bosch Icon blades both have a full length spoiler / air foil molded into the design. And it actually does some good because the blades themselves are extremely flexible and curve to fit the windshield. And the new blades use engineered silicone polymers in place of rubber so they tend to be quieter and last longer. And finally, I hate the mechanical spider that older designs use. It's a trap for leaves in the fall and a place for ice to cling in the winter. The floppy blades don't have these problems. I'm not at all troubled to spend $40 for a set of wipers once a year for each of our cars to have a clear view of the road.

The one caveat is that the floppy blades have to actually fit. If I can't find a set that work with the XFire J-arms, I will do exactly as you suggest.
When I replaced the VW New Beetle's wipers last year, I installed a set of Michelin blades that had the new single, flex wiper design. I really like the way they look on the car. Probably better looking than the factory wiper blades. And so far, they have held up real nice and performed better than expected. There isn't a downforce spoiler like the factory set, but I haven't been able to see any adverse impact because it wasn't there. Because this design has no openings along the wiper blade, the entire unit performs somewhat like a downforce spoiler.

It will be kinda interesting to see if the PIAA wiper refill in the factory wiper blade holds up equally well. Cost me $25.94 for the two Michelin blade assemblies compared to $29.72 (incl S&H) for the PIAA wiper refills. I may be going back to the Michelin wiper blades again in the future.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 04-08-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah, good stuff. I've been using Rain-X on the glass of all my cars for 20 years. Don't leave home without it. They make a windshield washer / de-icer fluid that, while not as good as an application of the original product, does help. Since the product seems to wear off on the windshield more quickly, the washer fluid can extend the time required between applications. I use that too.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spudracer
Yeah, good stuff. I've been using Rain-X on the glass of all my cars for 20 years. Don't leave home without it. They make a windshield washer / de-icer fluid that, while not as good as an application of the original product, does help. Since the product seems to wear off on the windshield more quickly, the washer fluid can extend the time required between applications. I use that too.
I have used it since the late 70's myself, love it. My wife said that she didn't want me to put it on her Taurus 10 years ago right after we bought it so I agreed.... So I put the RainX washer fluid in the tank so technicaly I didn't put it on the window Did I? She later asked " Have you been puting that RainX on the windows of My car? I said no you have. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone

Old 04-09-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Why throw away the OEM wiper holders, one of which has the spoiler on it, when for less money and a little effort you can replace just the the blade itself? The refill blades are harder to find but worth it as they are cheaper...
Not sure I'd agree yet 180 with the wiper refills being cheaper. My little experience with this so far for the XFire & VW-NB is that the wiper refills are actually more expensive than the wiper blades. Of course I'm referring to blades that you get at local discount auto parts houses and/or a Walmart. And, assuming everything fits properly, swapping out the wiper blade assembly is far simpler than replacing the wiper itself.

There is no doubt that the wiper refills are hard to find. I went to 5-6 parts houses earlier this week looking for just wiper refills and never found any. With today's modern manufacturing processes, they can produce & sell the entire wiper blade as cheap or cheaper than just the refill. I still remember when you could get a pair of wiper refills in a sleeve for next to nothing. Those days are gone, just like most other things.

Anyway, I'm a stickler for maintaining that OEM look, so keeping the factory wiper blade & replacing only the wiper itself with a refill is my preference.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Anyway, I'm a stickler for maintaining that OEM look, so keeping the factory wiper blade & replacing only the wiper itself with a refill is my preference.
Yes, they are hard to find but I have found refills for about $8 a pair, how good they are remains a question. They work OK for now and if they last a year or so who cares.
The spare blades come in three widths, get the narrow ones.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking about wiper blades ..... I recently picked up my red coupe, and it had blades on it that were installed by a Chrysler dealer about 1 yr ago, and they were grey in color and just a single blade. The bill that the previous owner had from that service said they charged $30 to put them on. OUCH!! Be that as it may, the first chance I got was to put on new wipers. I bought 2 new Goodyear wiper blades at Costco for @$9.00 each and they are great. They are "black" and have a spoiler on them and look OEM. They did come with some adapters, but none needed. Just slipped on and clicked tite. Just sayin .....

Old 04-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Not sure I'd agree yet 180 with the wiper refills being cheaper. My little experience with this so far for the XFire & VW-NB is that the wiper refills are actually more expensive than the wiper blades. Of course I'm referring to blades that you get at local discount auto parts houses and/or a Walmart. And, assuming everything fits properly, swapping out the wiper blade assembly is far simpler than replacing the wiper itself.

There is no doubt that the wiper refills are hard to find. I went to 5-6 parts houses earlier this week looking for just wiper refills and never found any. With today's modern manufacturing processes, they can produce & sell the entire wiper blade as cheap or cheaper than just the refill. I still remember when you could get a pair of wiper refills in a sleeve for next to nothing. Those days are gone, just like most other things.

Hmmm.....you bring up a good point. I think I'll keep and store the factory wipers in case I want to return the car to a completely stock condition at some point.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:23 PM

I was going to install a 21" wiper refill in the PS wiper blade a few days ago and found something interesting. The PIAA 21" refill I had didn't fit the PS wiper blade. The refill is too short! Factory wiper blade needs a 22" refill. Anyone eles find this out on their Crossfire? Every website I tried showed that the wiper on the PS is a 21" version.

Anyway, I ordered a couple of PIAA 22" Super Silicone refills thru Amazon and they should be here by MON next week. Store filling order was down in Kennesaw, GA.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you cannot buy just the rubber inserts from chrysler...you must purchase the entire metal blade assembly. $$$

so to retain the factory arm and wing... go to your local bmw dealer and purchase the universal wiper inserts (cut to fit sizing). this is the way they are sold for all bmws from '04 and older.

they work perfect... and are an exact fit to oem... total cost for two inserts... $5.00

bmw part number: 10A 61-61-0-154-440 (wiper refill).

Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by andrew
to retain the factory arm and wing... go to your local bmw dealer and purchase the universal wiper inserts (cut to fit sizing). this is the way they are sold for all bmws from '04 and older.

they work perfect... and are an exact fit to oem... total cost for two inserts... $5.00

bmw part number: 10A 61-61-0-154-440 (wiper refill).
Thanks for this info & source. Another example of great advice from THE FORUM.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:20 PM

The 22" PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Refills were delivered today by Fed Ex (I ordered 2). The wiper refill fit perfectly into the PS wiper blade assembly. Now our 07 Limited Coupe is set with wipers for probably another 2 years.

Took a close look at the old wiper I removed from the PS assembly. Turns out the factory wipers were Valeo (stamped into the rubber).

Later,

Old 04-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys should try the Treco Neoform

I got them at Advanced auto parts

they have a $10 off for a set and most of the time you apply a coupon code and save more.

Got my set for $16, they are great... GREAT

Try Them.. they are a must and even better at that price

of course no shipping fees!

Old 05-09-2017, 01:37 AM

I know this reply is to a really old post (for those researching wiper blade replacements) but I found Trico 47-700 refills ("Break to fit") "designed to fit a 7mm trapezoidal claw twin rail blade" WILL fit the OEM driver side wiper blade and also passenger side. Trico may refer to these refills as the 46 series or at least this is how I found them. The driver side has the OEM spoiler the passenger side, not (on my 07 base). The Trico refills are hard to find as all refills seem to be hard to find. The Trico package has 2 blades. I found them on Amazon for $11.66 includes shipping. So if you are into the OEM, find the Trico 47-700. Takes a little fussing to install but you get to keep the OEM wiper arms. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will resurrect this thread from the dead.

I bought new blades but I can't seem to fit the new blade on the passenger side. Now I read here that the oem blades have refills? I threw away the old drive side one. Can't get the passenger side off. XD

I'm confused

Last edited by alexdc; 12-05-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by alexdc
I will resurrect this thread from the dead.

I bought new blades but I can't seem to fit the new blade on the passenger side. Now I read here that the oem blades have refills? I threw away the old drive side one. Can't get the passenger side off. XD

I'm confused
I fitted the snap to size Trico refills last time, they were hard to find though. Before that I used refills I got from Canadian Tire,they did not seem to last too long though.

Quick Reply: Factory Wiper Blades