Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Transmision converter drain plug?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Transmision converter drain plug?

I have asked this before with no real answer. Do the Crossfires have a converter drain plug? It would be nice to know before I go crawling around under there.

I read over at the Sprinter forum they have the plug and it can be drained easily. Two big complaints in the Sprinter are RSN, and a shudder when shifting into some gears. Although our vehicles share the same physical trans, they are somewhat mapped and programmed differently.

You will ask RSN? Rumble Strip Noise is what the owners refer to it. It sounds like you are running over rumble strips, but it is a design flaw in the TCC, which MB will not acknowledge. Interesting reading over there.
The shudder can be fixed as easy as servicing the trans with new fluid and a filter.

I never really thought about this until I read some posting over there. When we were out west, with the car packed tight heavy, and climbing up the mountain roads, I would feel that shudder once in a while going into 4th. I can't get it to repeat around here with the car empty and no giant mountain hills. So at 50K miles, it is time for a trans service this fall.

TIA, James

Last edited by James1549; 09-12-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmision converter drain plug?

Hey James .... keep us in the loop about this, if you find out anything. I had my tranny fluid drained and refilled at Johns (Boiler) at the GTG there, and I still have a slight vibration (RSN?). I am sure that the converter was not drained at the time. From what I have heard, in the Crossfire transmission, our converters do not have a drain plug. Maybe Rudy can add light on this......

Old 09-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The converter drain plug disappeared from the 722.6 in late 1999.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
I have asked this before with no real answer. Do the Crossfires have a converter drain plug? It would be nice to know before I go crawling around under there.

I read over at the Sprinter forum they have the plug and it can be drained easily. Two big complaints in the Sprinter are RSN, and a shudder when shifting into some gears. Although our vehicles share the same physical trans, they are somewhat mapped and programmed differently.

You will ask RSN? Rumble Strip Noise is what the owners refer to it. It sounds like you are running over rumble strips, but it is a design flaw in the TCC, which MB will not acknowledge. Interesting reading over there.
The shudder can be fixed as easy as servicing the trans with new fluid and a filter.

I never really thought about this until I read some posting over there. When we were out west, with the car packed tight heavy, and climbing up the mountain roads, I would feel that shudder once in a while going into 4th. I can't get it to repeat around here with the car empty and no giant mountain hills. So at 50K miles, it is time for a trans service this fall.

TIA, James
How's this?
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post435647

Old 09-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Dave, I was never a trans expert but worked with several in my career. Numerous times I was told that is not a good idea to do that exact proceedure. They recommend changing extreme bad fluid twice if you can't drain the converter. Too each their own. I respected these guys and took their word for it.

James