Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Anyone make a mesh grill w/no border??

Old 01-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone make a mesh grill w/no border??

Originally Posted by amx1397
good to know thanks jim
Jim, that style also must be drilled into the bumper, something most do not want to do (and the seller is an total a$$).

Originally Posted by MoparFreak69
It should be quite simple, I had thought of just making up a quick wood form and using that to form all the edges...
I hope it is as easy as you think because I have been there and Max confirmed, it is not as easy as it seems as the compound curves required to make it look correct are difficult to bend into the material properly - especially a few of the styles you guys are considering.

As I stated, I would like to buy one of these if they turn out well, but there is a reason we have only had 1 style of mesh grill for 5+ years...

Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that it isn't going to just be a cake walk to make, there is going to be some trial and error as far as making a form and getting it shaped correctly, but when you get the form down it will be as easy as it could possibly be. As far as drilling into the bumper to install it on the bottom, I was actually thinking that small zip ties run through the original grill locking tab slots and then through the part of the grill material that is broken over along the bottom would be a great solution for retaining it along the bottom. I am talking about the really tiny zip ties that you would probably never notice but would be strong enough for the task at hand.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM

When I said drill the bumper, I was replying to Jim's statement about the billet grille listed above.

I used some small ties in that area along the bottom, but cut them off after about a week because the grille had retained the shape and did not deform. The issue is the large, curved corners where there is nothing to attach to and no way to easily get that shape without using a flat peice of metal and that looks like crap.

I have HIGHLY modified my mesh grille with the surround on it not only to look a little different, but also to fit quite differently. I have had 5 different grilles for the XF so I know a thing or two about fitment and install...

I did an engine turned finish on the surround then sprayed with 5+ coats of lightly tinted clear to give it the same smoked look as my lenses, I left the mesh PC black. Then I trimmed down the surround a little in the corners and made the grill lay down a little more, giving the emblem an 'overhang' look...

I hate the massive 'gap' that most of these grilles leave between the bumper cover and grille, so I slowly but surely worked that out by rebending. I am not 100% in love with the surround, but overall the grille looks amazing. The turned finish looks simply greyish in overcast conditions, then when the sun hits it, you see all those concentric circles in the metal and they really POP. I just need to paint behind the grille black to finish it all off...

Sorry for the threadjack, just thought I may spark some ideas

Old 01-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Mesh #1, Honeycomb #2
I'm in
Eddie

Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello all.. I didn't forget about this project.. I am just much more busy than I expected. Between my last semester at school, work and chasing my new ladyfriend around I have no time.. I have been getting 2 hours of sleep every night lol. I keep telling myself to spend a day to get this together but I have alot of other projects going on at the moment. I have conjured up some steel to make a prototype and a fixture.. I am currently just trying to lay out the fixture the best way possible before I actually weld it up. Bear with me here, I'm not half assing it.. sorry I am taking so long.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:16 PM

I just bought the 161 dollar EBay one ....I will install it on my 2005 SRT convertible and take apicture of it and post it. Looks pretty good on the eBay site

Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kamei has this one.i ordered it and was told they wont have it till end of april.they do accepr pre pay.sfx performance has it ,just google kamei

Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM

pic.for some reason my pic wouldnt upload but its Kamei 44209 looks like official audi grill.bye

Old 03-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ABS mesh? Should be easier to work. Let us know what you come up with.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:46 AM

I thought I had posted this here, but I guess not.

This design gets my vote:

Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Upcomer

This "design" is just some mesh shoved in behind the opening. If you look close, you can see the lip at the bottom. Good from a distance, but has been vetoed by all of us for its unfinished look.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Interesting, to me it looked like it just had a very thin metal rod running round the perimeter, rather than the large flat piece of metal on the current design of mesh grille for the crossfire.

And it looked recessed more, which I actually like. The front end just looks like a big scoop for air that way

Well I still like the way it looks from a distance... if someone could make one of those that looked good up close, I'd be in for sure!

In any case, I like the idea of the ABS mesh. Had you considered using a similar pattern mesh as the lower grilles between the fog lamps?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 PM

I love this look too. And tried, in vain, to make one. I did, and gave (sold) it to a friend. He rolled his car into a creek in the mountains and the insurance company wouldn't let him keep it.

I'm out of that business!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:05 PM

Max is right, I am the friend

Upcomer, in order to get that look to be perfect, you must cut off the lip on the OEM bumper that holds the OEM grille into place. This is what they mean by unfinished, mine was the same way, but I still liked the look.

A little bit tighter mesh, but you get the idea...

Old 03-28-2012, 02:08 PM

Well that is unfortunate that they wouldn't let him keep it.

My friend's insurance company wouldn't let him keep his brand new rims he had just gotten back from the powder coater that were on his 135i when he got t-boned and the car was totaled they were brand new, and 3/4 of them were still perfect

Old 03-28-2012, 02:21 PM

Ah, now I understand. Well, that's unfortunate that the bumper has to be cut. Still gets my vote tho

Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Upcomer

I totally agree! If someone could make this style "right" I would be an immediate buyer. The mesh grilles currently on the market have too large of a border and it looks especially bad at the top with the winged emblem adding to the bulk up there. IMHO this recessed design with no border is exactly what the Crossfire front end needs.

Last edited by RED DOG; 06-13-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

As John and Max know, I tried for a year to get to that look, and never really liked any of them. I finally gave in and went with the one like John's...bending and reshaping and painting...I don't like the gap, but it is better than the factory look any day....I wil post up some photos soon when I have them out together...the one's in my gallery are older, and I have reworked them since those were taken...

Old 06-14-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
I totally agree! If someone could make this style "right" I would be an immediate buyer. The mesh grilles currently on the market have too large of a border and it looks especially bad at the top with the winged emblem adding to the bulk up there. IMHO this recessed design with no border is exactly what the Crossfire front end needs.
The problem is not the grille, it is the bumper. To achieve this look, as stated clearly above, you need to cut your OEM grille mounting points off the OEM bumper to make it look clean, something many are not capable of doing. If you really want it, cut your bumper apart and make one.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

that big ole' border just about disapears on my black roadster, and on the coupe I painted the big ole' border aero blue to match the car, and painted the wire mesh silver to match the silver accents...still have a little gap, but it toned down the border a bit....

Quick Reply: Anyone make a mesh grill w/no border??