Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Windscreen replacement

Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen replacement

Hi, I have a windsreen that needs replacing, luckily on insurance, but where I live in Tasmania, Aus, no windscreen company has ever fitted a screen to a Crossfire! So i was wondering if there is any info on the subject on this forum, would love to have some info for when I drop it off and them guide them onto this great forum. I would hate to have somebody working on my beloved Crossfire who hasn't got a clue what they are doing . The info would be much appreciated. Exocet

Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Windscreen replacement

I watched them replace mine while in my driveway. I told the guy at the shop I wanted his best man to do the job - they sent two!

Replacing the windshield was no different than most cars. The trickiest part is getting the trim off without damage. You must know where the clips/fasteners are so you can pry them loose.

As I learned from the techs, be sure to protect the molding where it meets the fender. When you pry up, it will contact the fender and quite firm when it pops loose. Use a few layers of masking tape between the two surfaces to prevent scratching. I put the tape on the fender lip, but on the molding will work as well.

Good luck. James

PS Be sure to tell them to put your wiper caps back on with a dab of silicone or adhesive so you won't loose them.

Last edited by James1549; 03-18-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Thanks for that handy info, I might just go have it done on one of my days off, then I can stand guard Cheers James (exocet)

Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 AM

Hi, I'm sure I saw some pics of the windscreen surrounds off the car. Does anybody have some pictures of a windscreen without the silver panels on? The windscreen company that is doing the job were wondering if I could get some pics . Can anyone help? They have ordered the windscreen from the USA and said it will take approx 6 weeks, as there isn't a single windsreen available in Australia ! Cheers James.