Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Can I see your 2-tone or striped Crossfires?

Old 08-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I see your 2-tone or striped Crossfires?

Just been thinking about doing something with mine. Looking for some ideas. Silver always seems to go good with most colors, especially black. Kinda thinking satin black vinyl wrap for the top, but not sure how to tie it in in the back... Eventually I'd like to go with new wheels... Black 5 spoke with polished lip. Something simple though. I like deep dish, no rivets and not real busy. Like a Torq Thrust M.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Can I see your 2-tone or striped Crossfires?

Check this photo gallerie:
XF Accessories - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

Old 08-25-2012, 05:51 PM

My car has a tri tone. here are some pics.

http://s1173.photobucket.com/albums/...ling/?start=20

Last edited by aquarilized; 08-26-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the links. Some interesting pix. Not a lot of different paint schemes, but I kinda like the stripes. Still thinking about a black roof, and maybe black out the silver accents. I have seen a few cars painted completely with PlastiDip. Wondering if I could use that for the roof instead of vinyl. Gonna have to do some Photoshopping...

aquarilized, I like the look. Is that a tri-tone though. Hard to tell, but looks like the bottom is gray, and the stripe is black. I like the orange. I have a '67 Belvedere painted the new Go Mango. I've thought a time or two about having the Crossfire painted to match. but doubt I would go that far.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by closer9
Thanks for the links. Some interesting pix. Not a lot of different paint schemes, but I kinda like the stripes. Still thinking about a black roof, and maybe black out the silver accents. I have seen a few cars painted completely with PlastiDip. Wondering if I could use that for the roof instead of vinyl. Gonna have to do some Photoshopping...

aquarilized, I like the look. Is that a tri-tone though. Hard to tell, but looks like the bottom is gray, and the stripe is black. I like the orange. I have a '67 Belvedere painted the new Go Mango. I've thought a time or two about having the Crossfire painted to match. but doubt I would go that far.
Good eye, yes it is tri tone. I am also going to install a carbon fiber hood this week. i'll post pics when this is done. whatever you do keep update with pics if you can. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:42 PM

I'm thinking something similar to the blue car near the end of the gallery, but slightly narrower on the black and satin. Paint the door handles and side windshield trim body color and the side strakes and grill trim black. Then find some wheels...

Old 08-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Crossfire's styling offers many natural "cut-off" lines to pull off a great looking 2-tone color scheme.
There are several cars here on the forum that have done so successfully. But right off the top of my head I can't remember everybody's screen name.
Beaners V8 is one of them. Check out "Montana Crossfire" gallery for some great looking Viper GTS stripes.
Forum member "tdannar" is an expert at photo shop, check out his gallery. Here is a 1978 Corvette "Pace Car" edition he did for me awhile back.

Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...hp?photo=52061

Yep, "eikon" was one of the ones I couldn't remember.lol

Last edited by +fireamx; 08-27-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I left the center of my CF hood unpainted.. I like the natural lines on the hood that offer some good options for stripes... if you went with stripes specifically (as oppose to painting the center a different color), I would still follow the hood pattern...

Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by rayth
I left the center of my CF hood unpainted.. I like the natural lines on the hood that offer some good options for stripes... if you went with stripes specifically (as oppose to painting the center a different color), I would still follow the hood pattern...

James, pointed that out too, about following the hood strakes. The only problem with doing that, is you would be changing the specific demensions of the Viper stripe, and believe me, it looks totally wrong.
I've owned several cars over the years that came from the factory with over the top racing stripes, and anytime somebody would change the width of the stripe, it is immediately noticable as being wrong.
I realize the Crossfire never came from the factory with a Viper stripe, but if you're going to copy the original, it should be done using the original specs. IMO
Rayth, I said it before, I really like what you did with your hood. Didn't Dodge do that to their Challenger hood?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 PM

Rayth, love the hood. That's the lines I think I would follow. That seems to line up with the center section of the windshield trim. Then that line flows all the way back through the deck lid. Not sure if I would stop there or blackout the recessed area for the rear plate.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 PM

Thanks fellas, I definitely hear you on the stripes... I was debating on what paint scheme to do with my hood and was considering painting the center and having the outer two hood strakes on either side be the stripes, but decided against it for the very reason that I don't think it would look right trying to carry those stripes all the way back... plus this lines up perfectly with the front emblem... I really have always loved the Viper stripes but the natural lines in the Crossfire just aren't conducive to them, in my opinion...

The center area between the strakes on the hood I think flows nicely into the roof (though I would skip over trying to match the windshield trim)... its when I get to the back that I just don't know what to do... match the wing to the roof and hood? follow the theme all the way down? I really don't know! I mean, for me its a moot point because I don't want to go with a carbon fiber wrap on the roof or the back since the hood is [sort of] real carbon fiber... Just don't know what to do with that rear!

closer9, what color is your car? the color can change a lot of things

Old 08-26-2012, 11:53 PM

Mine is SSB...

Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 AM

Check out my Crossfire in my gallery.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by eikon
Check out my Crossfire in my gallery.
DadGummit!!! That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Now I'm going to feel like a copy cat. Sorry, just looks too good. Eventually I will have to do this.

BTW, is that paint or vinyl?

Last edited by closer9; 08-27-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 AM

Glad you like the paint job.

In looking at the car, it's deco lines cried to have them highlighted by going two-tone, so after I took delivery, I dropped it off at the paint shop to have it done.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by closer9

Here is another link for ideas:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/263219...oupe-2d/page-6

Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 PM

JM, you're still the go to Photo guy. Sorry I missed you at Woodward this year. My Bad.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
JM, you're still the go to Photo guy. Sorry I missed you at Woodward this year. My Bad.
Me too, see you at the next one

Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by aquarilized
My car has a tri tone. here are some pics.

Pictures by Spacerolling - Photobucket

Did you buy your car internationally? While I was in Kuwait in 2010 I saw a Crossfire with the same exact paint job.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the links guys. I'm starting to think maybe just something simple, like some stripes for now. Then maybe a two tone once I get some new wheels. Not in any hurry to get wheels, but not having much luck finding anything really gotta have.

Quick Reply: Can I see your 2-tone or striped Crossfires?