Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Door edge guards?

Old 12-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door edge guards?

I saw a for sale ad with picture of xfire with edge guards. My big Buick has factory chrome guards and would like to find REAL ones for the xfire. Did Chrysler ever offer factory edge guards? I am sure that I could just find some vinyl trim and push it on but that is just not the same.
Thanks

_4_zpskaicz5ki.jpg

Old 12-19-2015, 05:07 PM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Re: Door edge guards?

When I bought my coupe it had metal chrome edge guards on it, (actually I think they were stainless) they fit like they were factory or were made specifically for the Crossfire. I felt they interrupted the visual down the side of the car so I removed them. Took some pretty serious polishing to get rid of the marks they left. Oh, I threw them away. Sorry.

Last edited by JSK; 12-19-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Punctuation fix
Old 12-20-2015, 08:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW I used clear ones on one of my other cars, and they were great, especially on lighter cars. I have not seen any made specifically for the crossfire in any material.

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (02-12-2023)
Old 12-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 537 Likes on 454 Posts

[QUOTE=Travish;854907]I saw a for sale ad with picture of xfire with edge guards. My big Buick has factory chrome guards and would like to find REAL ones for the xfire. Did Chrysler ever offer factory edge guards? I am sure that I could just find some vinyl trim and push it on but that is just not the ... (/quote)
There were no special edge guards available, I guess the stealer would put on plastic ones if requested. They collect dirt and moisture against the door edge and lead to rust.
I am sure that you do not slam your door open without looking so I see no point if you are careful. If you have to park in an area where it is tight then consider putting some permanent padding on that wall. Some clear edging on the high point of the door may be acceptable if necessary. It certainly does not save your car from the dings done by others and is basically a styling thing.
You do not have a craving for magnesium do you? (An in joke)

Old 12-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The last time I used aftermarket guards they cause more scratches than they prevented due to the dust getting under them.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Travish
I am sure that you do not slam your door open without looking so I see no point if you are careful. If you have to park in an area where it is tight then consider putting some permanent padding on that wall. Some clear edging on the high point of the door may be acceptable if necessary. It certainly does not save your car from the dings done by others and is basically a styling thing.
You do not have a craving for magnesium do you? (An in joke)
Actually its for when someone parks next to me and I can slam my door into their side. (kidding).
The edge of the door is already missing a little paint from previous owner and I also park really close to my other car to give more space between the idiots in the lot. The factory stainless ones on the Buick work really well.