Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

How do I remove the entire Headlight Assembly/Headlamp(s)?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool How do I remove the entire Headlight Assembly/Headlamp(s)?

Trying to change out my quarter lights (DRL's) for LED quarter lights.

My only issue is I need to take the headlamps off to get to the quarter light -- and it is quite difficult thus far...

Any info or a link to a thread with pictures (preferably) would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: How do I remove the entire Headlight Assembly/Headlamp(s)?

2 "obvious" bolts on the top of the headlight.. reach under the headlight "inboard" side and you will find another.. pop out the side marker and you can see and get to the last one. Remove the screw where the grill bolts down for the facia.. I slide a micro fiber towel between the headlight and bumper cover to keep from scratching it.. the headlight can be pulled out with a little down pressure on the bumper .

Old 05-11-2015, 09:34 PM

And just another thought.. are you talking the little corner marker bulbs? You can get to them with a 10mm wrench.. no headlight removal required. There are threads on it.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Received 537 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
And just another thought.. are you talking the little corner marker bulbs? You can get to them with a 10mm wrench.. no headlight removal required. There are threads on it.
Look at sticky in the Exterior and lighting forum.
See "Easy way to change ..."

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-12-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the link and info!

I'll give this a go tomorrow.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:05 PM
Received 371 Likes on 323 Posts

2 "obvious" bolts on the top of the headlight.. reach under the headlight "inboard" side and you will find another.. pop out the side marker and you can see and get to the last one. Remove the screw where the grill bolts down for the facia.. I slide a micro fiber towel between the headlight and bumper cover to keep from scratching it.. the headlight can be pulled out with a little down pressure on the bumper .

Just wanted to 'throw' this into the mix... When I first bought my 'Batmobile', I installed SilverStar Ultra's in both low and high positions. Having researched how to do it, and seeing (well reading) that many had trouble with those clips and the positions of stuff behind the headlight assemblies, I chose to remove the headlight assemblies to accomplish this dual bulb set swap. Well, even with the service manuals, I absolutely could not remove the headlight assemblies as directed by the service manuals. I tried for hours, all kinds of positions, ultimately (and in fact it was quite 'revealing'), I removed the front facia. After removing the front facia, the headlights easily came out. Yes, all the mounting points were removed (bolts), nothing was left installed. The headlight assemblies just would not come out until the facia was removed. I posted about my experience (one of my first maybe?) with everything I did until the easily accessed 'removal' after removing the complete front facia. So, even if you follow the service manuals instructions for the headlight removal, sometimes (the unique assembly of) the parts, those assemblies just do not come out. In my case when the facia was not 'in the way' they slipped out super easily. If I remember, my original post detailed exactly how easily the headlight assemblies came out after removing the facia. I am not sure (right now) that I would be able to (as easily) remove that facia, being the time that has passed with the weathering of all the points where the facia mounts (its harder to remove all those weathered screws/bolts/nuts). So, I hope your headlight assemblies come out easier than mine originally 'didn't'.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

George, the 'trick' is to remove the 2 big hollow lower mounting adjusters after the bolts have been removed.
You then remove the 2 upper fascia screws and you should then be able to remove the light assemblies.

When you put them back in, just get the hollow adjusters started ( after the assembly is back in ), insert the upper mounting bolts and tighten, then run the adjusters up until they just contact the mounting tabs. Insert and tighten the lower bolts.
( You DID already insert the eyebrow lights and connect the headlight harness, right ? )

Old 05-14-2015, 08:07 AM
Received 371 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
George, the 'trick' is to remove the 2 big hollow lower mounting adjusters after the bolts have been removed.
You then remove the 2 upper fascia screws and you should then be able to remove the light assemblies.

When you put them back in, just get the hollow adjusters started ( after the assembly is back in ), insert the upper mounting bolts and tighten, then run the adjusters up until they just contact the mounting tabs. Insert and tighten the lower bolts.
( You DID already insert the eyebrow lights and connect the headlight harness, right ? )

George, I was just letting folks know that sometimes, the dang things just don't cooperate like the manual says they should. Once I gave up on doing it like the manual says it should have been done, I simply removed that facia. After those (if I remember about 13 or so) screws/nuts/bolts, the entire facia easily lifted off and those headlight assemblies came right out. Believe me when I say I tried (with my better half) every which way to get them buggers out. I found my post, it was my third ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ight-saga.html ). Seems I can find things more easily in this new format if I just click here and there! So, I wasn't trying to get em out again, just pointing out they sometimes do not cooperate.

BTW folks, for your info, I still have all 4 Silverstar Ultra's, drive at night AND during inclimate weather with the lights on (when I drive). Remember, I only have 22642 miles on her so its not like I live in her. I also have Ultra's in my P/U truck (with no burnouts) and regular Silverstars in my Camaro. I have yet to replace any of them. Maybe, just maybe, people are letting someone touch them bulbs and they fail due to hot spots because of finger oils on the bulb glass? Dunno, I have fantastic service from them and DO NOT work for Sylvania (nor ever had).

Old 12-16-2015, 06:15 PM

Hey guys, i've been trying for days to remove the stupid headlight assembly. Other than the two obvious bolts at the top, there are more underneath the whole assembly? How am I suppose to get underneath to see them or remove them?

Old 12-16-2015, 06:29 PM

You have 3 choices :
1. Remove the wheel, open the little flap door and use a 10mm socket with a long extension to reach the bolts.
2. Remove the wheel, remove the belly pan, remove the front inner fender liner. You can then see the 2 bolts.
3. Remove both front wheels, the belly pan, both inner fender liners and the front bumper cover. NOW you can see EVERYTHING and be able to clean up 10+ years of accumulated grime.
================================================== ========
Hint on removing the headlight unit :
1. Once the 4 bolts are removed, you can maneuver the assembly a bit and access the main power plug and the eyebrow light.
2. The 2 hollow adjuster thingeys can be removed from the bottom of the assembly to provide a bit more clearance when removing the unit.
3. Remove the Torx screw by the headlight securing the top of the bumper cover, this too will give you some more wiggle room.

WHERE IN ALABAMA ?

Old 12-16-2015, 07:12 PM

Hey thanks, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that much work. I'm at Auburn right now, and don't have any tools other than a socket wrench haha. Me and my buddy were hoping it would be an easy installation because the shops around here were all looking a bit pricey. Looks like I will have to get them to do it though.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:13 PM

Option on #1.. remove the side marker light for that bolt on that edge .. you can feel your way to the other bolt on bottom from the topside of the light .. been there done that.. Loosen the bumper cover at the top by the hood.. I put a Micro fiber towel between the light and bumper cover to prevent any scratching while pulling it out.

Auburn.. don't we know a guy there? LOL

Last edited by Mrmiata; 12-16-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:33 PM

Auburn ? That's about 65 miles from me, but I'll be in Auburn Saturday morning visiting another long time forum member, maxcichon.
Send maxcichon an IM and see if he is OK with you coming by, he has more tools than a Nascar team and is a pretty smart guy too.

Question : why do you want to remove a headlight assembly ?

Old 12-16-2015, 07:35 PM

I have an hid kit I would like to install. If he would be willing to help that would be amazing.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:38 PM

Option on #1.. remove the side marker light for that bolt on that edge .. you can feel your way to the other bolt on bottom from the topside of the light .. been there done that.. Loosen the bumper cover at the top by the hood.. I put a Micro fiber towel between the light and bumper cover to prevent any scratching while pulling it out.

Auburn.. don't we know a guy there? LOL
Yea there is that method too, Greg.
I've done that, but find I almost ALWAYS drop the stupid bolt when fiddling through the marker light opening.

And yea, I seem to recall some guy that claims he is from Auburn, but does not know how to yell "WAR EAGLE", it always comes out "ON WIS"

Old 12-16-2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by kingdomhearts
I have an hid kit I would like to install. If he would be willing to help that would be amazing.
You do not have to take the light units out to install the HID bulbs.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You do not have to take the light units out to install the HID bulbs.
True, but personally I would not attempt it with my poor vision and fat fingers.
PLUS, it you remove the units, you can mount the HID ballasts on the frame under each headlight out of the way .....

Last edited by ala_xfire; 12-16-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by kingdomhearts
Send him an IM through the forum and see what he says.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
True, but personally I would not attempt it with my poor vision and fat fingers.
PLUS, it you remove the units, you can mount the HID ballasts on the frame under each headlight out of the way .....
The OP is only 25 years old so it should be no problem for him at all.
I did not consider taking the units out when I did it, I put a set in no problem and took them out later, easy peasy.
Taking the light units out has got to be real pain and that alone will take as long as putting HIDs in as in Max's How To post.
CLICK for the Max How To post.
The bulb assemblies have changed a little in design but the basic process is the same.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-16-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:13 PM

Hey thanks 180, i'll give that a read. I've read tons of guides, but didn't realize it would be possible without taking out the assembly when I was looking at it. I'd consider myself pretty good at figuring things out, so maybe I can do it myself.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the entire Headlight Assembly/Headlamp(s)?