Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Newbie with indicator problem

Old 02-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Newbie with indicator problem

Hi everyone. This is my first post so be gentle!
I've got a 53 coupe that we've had for a year or so with no problems.
A few weeks ago the car stalled and wouldn't fire up again. Having trawled the net I found the RCM repair for "mystery no start" so I whipped out the soldering iron and did the fix. All good for a few days! (I'm not sure that has anything to do with my current problem but thought it worth mentioning)
I took the car out one evening and when I returned to it later I noticed the indicators (turn signals) down one side were all lit. The door was locked and obviously the ignition off. I got home and parked the car and of course found it with a flat battery the next day.
Having borrowed a booster pack I got it fired up no problem but the indicators were still stuck on not flashing.
If I pressed the hazard switch the other side came on but again didn't flash.
I took the car for a spin and at some point the indicators on the other side then got stuck on too!
I've tried pulling fuses, the relay and even unplugged the hazard switch but none of these turn off the lights!
Please help. No one wants to see a grown man cry!
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Newbie with indicator problem

The light switch can be turned counter clock wise, to allow the running lights to be on ,while on the side road. One click for passengers side, then two for drivers side. One side at a time

Last edited by Steve Jr; 02-07-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Add
Old 02-07-2016, 04:27 PM

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply.
I did try changing the light switch settings with no difference.
Am I right to assume it would be side lights and tail light that would be on in park setting and only one side of the car? If not I'll investigate that further!

Old 02-07-2016, 04:34 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Am I right to assume it would be side lights and tail light that would be on in park setting and only one side of the car? If not I'll investigate that further!
You are correct, no relation to hazard flasher and turn signal lights.
You most likely have a defective flasher module. ( it's part of the big triangular switch assembly )

( I was also a defective flasher back in my youth, but let's not go there )

Old 02-07-2016, 04:57 PM

That was my suspicion too so I pulled the connector from the back of the hazard switch but the lights stayed on. I figured they would go off?
Still smiling about your misspent youth!

Old 02-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put light switch at 12o'clock ,all lights should go out.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:27 PM

Thanks Steve.
I did already try that. The switch still seems to work fine turning on/off lights but the indicators/turn signals stay lit in any position.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by audiohotrod
Thanks Steve.
I did already try that. The switch still seems to work fine turning on/off lights but the indicators/turn signals stay lit in any position.
I would say the problem lies in the multi function switch.
It may need replacing. Do the signals flash OK?

Old 02-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone. This is my first post so be gentle!
I've got a 53 coupe that we've had for a year or so with no problems.
A few weeks ago the car stalled and wouldn't fire up again. Having trawled the net I found the RCM repair for "mystery no start" so I whipped out the soldering iron and did the fix. All good for a few days! (I'm not sure that has anything to do with my current problem but thought it worth mentioning)
I took the car out one evening and when I returned to it later I noticed the indicators (turn signals) down one side were all lit. The door was locked and obviously the ignition off. I got home and parked the car and of course found it with a flat battery the next day.
Having borrowed a booster pack I got it fired up no problem but the indicators were still stuck on not flashing.
If I pressed the hazard switch the other side came on but again didn't flash.
I took the car for a spin and at some point the indicators on the other side then got stuck on too!
I've tried pulling fuses, the relay and even unplugged the hazard switch but none of these turn off the lights!
Please help. No one wants to see a grown man cry!
Thanks in advance.
Check the locking mechanism in the trunk for water damage, also when you lock or unlock the car with the key fob what do the lights do? Do they flash or not ?

Last edited by kingdavid54; 02-07-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:14 AM

Thanks guys.
The signals don't do anything when I move the stalk either way they just remain solidly on.
I seem to remember when just one side was stuck that the other did still flash until that broke too! The hazard button however just made them both stick on not flashing. Now they are both on permanently.
Haven't checked the trunk for water yet and can't remember if the central locking flashes still. We've 70mph winds and heavy rain booked for today (for a change this winter!) so I'll brave the elements after work and report back.
Thanks everyone for your input so far.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:01 PM

Can I start by saying, kingdavid54 you are indeed a true king! I've only gone and fixed it thanks to your advice.
I took the boot/trunk to bits and found enough water to keep a couple of goldfish happy!
I removed the clm and dried it out then cleaned up the corrosion on the board and the connectors with Servisol and a toothbrush. Put it back together and hey presto it works.
Thanks everybody for your input. Great forum. Divorce off the cards and it's even stopped raining. Happy days.
I'm sure there are loads of posts on this problem but if anyone needs advice on what I did please ask while it's still fresh in my noggin.
������✌️

Old 02-08-2016, 12:21 PM

Can I start by saying, kingdavid54 you are indeed a true king! I've only gone and fixed it thanks to your advice.
I took the boot/trunk to bits and found enough water to keep a couple of goldfish happy!
I removed the clm and dried it out then cleaned up the corrosion on the board and the connectors with Servisol and a toothbrush. Put it back together and hey presto it works.
Thanks everybody for your input. Great forum. Divorce off the cards and it's even stopped raining. Happy days.
I'm sure there are loads of posts on this problem but if anyone needs advice on what I did please ask while it's still fresh in my noggin.
������✌️
I'm glad things worked out for you and the credit belongs to those on this website who have been where you were and graciously shared what they learned with the rest of us, it is just a matter of common decency to try and help others that find themselves in a difficult position that is what makes this website truly unique.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

. Put it back together and hey presto it works.
You probably want to do something to find the source of the water to prevent it recurring. I think there are several threads on this site about it.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:56 PM

Yeah thanks I did think maybe should investigate that as there was so much water. It has rained constantly forever this winter but even so it was an impressive amount!
I've removed the lower bung on each side so anymore should drain away in the meantime.
I was obviously too pleased with my fix to contemplate the next step!
Thanks for your advice.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:10 PM

Yeah thanks I did think maybe should investigate that as there was so much water. It has rained constantly forever this winter but even so it was an impressive amount!
I've removed the lower bung on each side so anymore should drain away in the meantime.
I was obviously too pleased with my fix to contemplate the next step!
Thanks for your advice.
I own a roadster not a coupe but if I had to make an educated guess I would say the first place to look for the water leak is around the hatch seal, also some members with the water problem have encased the pump in a plastic bag and sealed it up with wire ties.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not had my foam out yet to look, but I plan to soon when I make the mount for the spare tire I got.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:08 PM

I like the bagging up idea. I'll post my findings when I find the source of the leak.
Pioneer4x4 it's definitely worth a nose around. I had no idea there was water in there until things went haywire. I assume from the amount of water and the corrosion on the circuit boards that it had been building up for a while!