Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

How to remove hood wings & badge?

Old 08-14-2016, 08:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove hood wings & badge?

I've removed the six clips for the posts, all of the posts appear to be free, but the corners won't budge.

I did check out one post and the owner was told by the dealer that the posts have to be broken off to remove the wings/badge.

Since there are no posts on the corners, I'm more inclined to think that a dollop of strong glue was added underneath.

I'm in the process of wet-sanding the hood prior to painting (had a few small low spots + someone did a crappy job of touching up - there was an area with bubbles in the clear meaning there was water in his gun).

I really don't want to mask it off. It always shows no matter how careful you are.

My plan is/was to paint very early tomorrow morning so if you know the secret hand-shake...

Old 08-14-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: How to remove hood wings & badge?

Originally Posted by BibaResto
I've removed the six clips for the posts, all of the posts appear to be free, but the corners won't budge.

I did check out one post and the owner was told by the dealer that the posts have to be broken off to remove the wings/badge.

Since there are no posts on the corners, I'm more inclined to think that a dollop of strong glue was added underneath.

I'm in the process of wet-sanding the hood prior to painting (had a few small low spots + someone did a crappy job of touching up - there was an area with bubbles in the clear meaning there was water in his gun).

I really don't want to mask it off. It always shows no matter how careful you are.

My plan is/was to paint very early tomorrow morning so if you know the secret hand-shake...
Could it be double sided tape?

C

Old 08-14-2016, 11:05 PM
Forum Regular

I doubt if it is double sided tape unless it is the thin kind. Another look and the very edge can be lifted up sightly and it does have a tiny stud which appears to be loose - meaning it is just for location.

But next to it, it sort of wraps around and does not budge - at least with planning on reusing.

Now I see why there are no front Crossfire front badges on ebay.

I think I might have it. In the area I'm referring to I'll bet there are 'you can get in, but you can't get out' studs. There is no opening below this area.

I'd sure like to see the wings/badge area on an original hood.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First you must remove the round retaining clips. Then use a thin plastic pry bar to gently ply the emblem upward. There is a black thin rubber water seal gasket between the hood and wing emblem that sticks to both surfaces over time,kinda like double sided tape. Be gentle prying upward because if you tear this gasket,you can't purchase a new replacement. And DON'T break the studs. Squirrel Crusher

Old 08-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Forum Regular

Squirrel Crusher (but they're such cute little varmints), thank you for letting me know about the rubber gasket. Darn near worse than double sided tape. In my case I was able to get my very well worn thin putty knife to 'release' the emblem. The gasket is toast but not for the first time I've made paper templates, then transferred to, in this case, rubber/neoprene. I keep several thicknesses on hand for situations like this. On the other hand, I don't see a problem of simply letting water flow between the emblem and hood. - unless it rattles.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:16 PM

Mine had double sided tape.
Took mine off.