Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight Seal Kit Parts Needed; Cannot Find

Old 12-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Headlight Seal Kit Parts Needed; Cannot Find

Greetings, fellow Crossfire owners.

I have recently acquired a 2004 Crossfire with low mileage. She is a beauty, but has some baggage. This forum has helped me sort through several minor issues, though I have recently hit a road block.

Brief backstory: my car had a tiny fire above the battery a couple of months ago and I had it towed to the dealership. The mechanic there was shocked by all of the aftermarket parts and electronics under the hood and elsewhere (accessory lights, HIDs, subwoofers, Sprint Booster, etc.). He replaced the battery and disconnected a few things. He said the ballasts and/or wiring of the HID low beams was likely the source of the fire, so he disconnected them. Later, I went into a shop with a new set of HIDs and asked if they could rip out the old low beams and install these new ones. The shop told me there was too much condensation in the passenger side headlight housing and that I would need to replace the unit. Seeing as how that part costs more than $600, I searched through these forums and found the Headlight Seal Kit (05174786AA) designed for the condensation issue. This part is discontinued and nobody has it online.

Upon further investigation under my hood, I noticed that two of the seals to be replaced by the kit are missing completely from my housing. I identified the parts using the TSB found here: http://srt-6.com/pdf/tsb/SB_08_043_0...ndensation.pdf . These include the "UPPER HEADLAMP VENT" or "NEW SMALL RUBBER CAP," and the "LOWER HEADLAMP VENT" or "NEW SMALL RUBBER PLUG." I would also like a "LARGE INBOARD RUBBER CAP" (with or without the special vent). This kit would be perfect as I believe the missing rubber pieces are the source of the condensation inside the assembly.

Does anyone know where I could purchase these rubber parts, whether as a kit or individually, or if there are alternative ways to seal these openings properly? If I could even find the right part numbers I could probably buy these online, but so far I've had no luck whatsoever. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts
Default Re: Headlight Seal Kit Parts Needed; Cannot Find

You can call it what you want to, but it's a VENT KIT. The original issue was condensation and by putting the new kit in, the housings are vented properly AND the little top vents are altered to discourage water entry.

So you are sealing and venting at the same time.

For now, take ALL vents OFF and let it dry out. Look for cracks or damage, if you find none, let it dry out on it's own. You may need to come up with a seal/vent kit on your own.

If you find cracks or damage, ti's time to head to a salvage yard to get a replacement.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by blazodan
Greetings, fellow Crossfire owners.

I have recently acquired a 2004 Crossfire with low mileage. She is a beauty, but has some baggage. This forum has helped me sort through several minor issues, though I have recently hit a road block.

Brief backstory: my car had a tiny fire above the battery a couple of months ago and I had it towed to the dealership. The mechanic there was shocked by all of the aftermarket parts and electronics under the hood and elsewhere (accessory lights, HIDs, subwoofers, Sprint Booster, etc.). He replaced the battery and disconnected a few things. He said the ballasts and/or wiring of the HID low beams was likely the source of the fire, so he disconnected them. Later, I went into a shop with a new set of HIDs and asked if they could rip out the old low beams and install these new ones. The shop told me there was too much condensation in the passenger side headlight housing and that I would need to replace the unit. Seeing as how that part costs more than $600, I searched through these forums and found the Headlight Seal Kit (05174786AA) designed for the condensation issue. This part is discontinued and nobody has it online.

Upon further investigation under my hood, I noticed that two of the seals to be replaced by the kit are missing completely from my housing. I identified the parts using the TSB found here: http://srt-6.com/pdf/tsb/SB_08_043_0...ndensation.pdf . These include the "UPPER HEADLAMP VENT" or "NEW SMALL RUBBER CAP," and the "LOWER HEADLAMP VENT" or "NEW SMALL RUBBER PLUG." I would also like a "LARGE INBOARD RUBBER CAP" (with or without the special vent). This kit would be perfect as I believe the missing rubber pieces are the source of the condensation inside the assembly.

Does anyone know where I could purchase these rubber parts, whether as a kit or individually, or if there are alternative ways to seal these openings properly? If I could even find the right part numbers I could probably buy these online, but so far I've had no luck whatsoever. Thanks in advance!
Try here it was available a few days ago. CLICK
This is the kit. CLICK

Old 12-06-2017, 02:30 PM

Thanks pizzaguy. We'll call it a VENT KIT then. I mostly need the vents, anyways. The casing is not cracked. Does anyone know how to replace these vents? The VENT KIT appears to be extinct.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Try here it was available a few days ago. CLICK
This is the kit. CLICK
Thanks 180. I ordered that kit from the exact website linked and this it the message I received a few days later:
Hello I am sorry this part has been discontinued by Chrysler and we can no longer get, I will cancel and refund your account. Please allow 2-4 business days for the refund to reflect on your account.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts

Thanks 180. I ordered that kit from the exact website linked and this it the message I received a few days later:
Hello I am sorry this part has been discontinued by Chrysler and we can no longer get, I will cancel and refund your account. Please allow 2-4 business days for the refund to reflect on your account.

Yeah - I got the same discontinued eMail from MoparPartsOverstock. But the additional info I got was the following:

Dennis,

The item you ordered is discontinued and it does not match the VIN you provided. The correct part numbers are 5103277AA (passenger) and 5103463AA (driver). Please let us know how you would like to continue. We will need payment information over the phone for any price difference.

Thanks,
Darren

New parts are $26.47 each.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-09-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Yeah - I got the same discontinued eMail from MoparPartsOverstock. But the additional info I got was the following:

Dennis,

The item you ordered is discontinued and it does not match the VIN you provided. The correct part numbers are 5103277AA (passenger) and 5103463AA(driver). Please let us know how you would like to continue. We will need payment information over the phone for any price difference.

Thanks,
Darren

Amazing, I paid $24.25 (Canadian) for the kit that did two headlights in 2010.
Now split that package into two parts and charge more for them now, how to make money the easy way. I would hate to know what they want for them here now. Maybe on Monday I'll phone and find out.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 AM

Dennis,

The item you ordered is discontinued and it does not match the VIN you provided. The correct part numbers are 5103277AA (passenger) and 5103463AA (driver). Please let us know how you would like to continue. We will need payment information over the phone for any price difference.

Thanks,
Darren

Just checked again today. Found the DS selling for $27.00; the PS for $26.81. Inching that price up since several inquiries over the past few days. And I think the eMail I received has the P/Ns reversed (unless they are referencing from the front of the car).

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-09-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:52 PM

Dennis,

Thanks,
Darren

Wow, thanks so much for the information. Do you know whether these parts would include the small rubber caps (or vents) next to the large seals? If not, I will call tomorrow to inquire. Cheers.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:32 PM

Wow, thanks so much for the information. Do you know whether these parts would include the small rubber caps (or vents) next to the large seals? If not, I will call tomorrow to inquire. Cheers.
You would be buying the kit, what use is that large cap without the small caps?

Old 12-16-2017, 02:23 PM

So I just received the passenger side seal (5103277AA) and it is the completely wrong part. Rather than the caps that seal the back of the headlight, this part is the rubber gasket that goes all the way around the headlight housing. Ugh. Does anyone have any pointers on where I could find the round rubber seals once included in the [now obsolete] headlight VENT KIT? Thanks!

Old 12-16-2017, 03:46 PM

So I just received the passenger side seal (5103277AA) and it is the completely wrong part. Rather than the caps that seal the back of the headlight, this part is the rubber gasket that goes all the way around the headlight housing. Ugh. Does anyone have any pointers on where I could find the round rubber seals once included in the [now obsolete] headlight VENT KIT? Thanks!
I purchased the kit and installed it even though I never had any leaks or condensation problems. I did see one Crossfire that had so much water in the headlight that he could have taken his pet goldfish for a drive, as the water was splashing about in his headlight.
If you have a slight condensation problem then I would say use one of the old vents and plug the other one in the unit with a permanent seal. I think there is two vents in each unit if my memory serves me correctly. The unit must breath as the air is heated by the bulb and expands. Use the original large seals, I think this would work. I think the kit has one large seal that you install and it lets air pass through both ways through a very fine mesh, water may not be able to pass through this mesh. Maybe water vapor does not pass through this mesh. If that is so find some of this material and glue a patch to the large seal.
If you have a leak, fix it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-16-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:27 PM

Yeah - Received the 2 seals I ordered also. Really sucks that the old kit is no more!

Old 12-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is/was a post from way back with a DIY solution that uses rubber tubing etc. It is a bit crude, but I tried it and it works. I think that it was on this site (but I may be wrong). I am also pretty sure that when I did it, I followed a video on youtube where someone did a step by step guide, but this was a while ago. Depending on your climate and the amount of condensation, you may have to use a hair drier on the lens for 30 minutes to an hour to dry the inside completely first. I remember my next door neighbor asking me why I was drying the car with a hairdrier – there is no good answer to that one. If I find the post I will come back with the link.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:58 AM

This is the link to the video with the DIY option

Last edited by marlam; 12-18-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: want to include link but not embed video
Old 12-19-2017, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by marlam
This is the link to the video with the DIY option https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KeXC6E5msU
Thanks, marlam! This is exactly what I needed. I will be doing this job very soon.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So simple and effective. Thanks.....Squirrel Crusher

Old 07-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Headlight Seal Kit Parts Needed; Cannot Find

I came up with the same solution as in this video but the clamps wouldn't stay in place...

now going to Plan B - replacing old T-vents with these: Shepherd Hardware 9124 1/2-Inch Inside Diameter Rubber Leg Tips, 4-Pack, Black

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by ssl92677; 07-07-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: link to parts
Old 07-08-2019, 07:42 PM

Are you tapping a small vent hole in them or going to install them as-is?