General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

i just got a new 80+ mph electric r/c plane

Old 08-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking i just got a new 80+ mph electric r/c plane

this thing rocks... and i can fly it up & down my street... and even charge the battery in my car... it was just released this past week.

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_p..._stryker_c.htm

the gas powered planes i also fly are a bit faster... but... no messy fuel to deal with.

PKZ4200-actionW2.jpg

PKZ4200-actionAG1.jpg

PKZ4200-Radio_Group_Shot_4x-4501.jpg

ready to fly straight out of the box. experience not included.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: i just got a new 80+ mph electric r/c plane

Hey Hey, alright a fellow flyer! I'm mostly into composite sailplanes, so I do a lot of Dynamic soaring in the So Cal area, hence my screen name...
but I also enjoy glo fuel warbirds, currently finishing up a 120 Hellcat. I usually fly at Appolo field in Van Nuys CA.

As for your electric, they are fun. If your looking for a real blast, I've seen guys strap on big brushless motors to that multiplex Jet, similar looking to yours there. Pack in as much Li-Po's as you can get in there, and you can smoke the gas turbine Jets, No Kidding! that could be a real animal.

I have an old beat up Zagi electric, it's usually fun to fly up and down the streets. Post some videos of that thing ripping it up!

Old 08-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a hobby I've always wanted to get into. Any suggestions in a good starter plane?

Old 08-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
This is a hobby I've always wanted to get into. Any suggestions in a good starter plane?
~ a slower version ... 50 mph or so (which i also have) of the plane above:

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_parkzone_stryker.htm

Old 08-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Forum Regular

I have to support my local guy Jerry at Zagi, he make tons of foamy wings for beginners., http://www.zagi.com/

He sells a big kit combo too. http://www.zagi.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=116

But gliders are the cheapest way to start, Go to www.RCgroups.com to learn everything you'll ever need to know!

here are some video clips; go to (race1) I'm flying the yellow and green plane. www.zagi.com/index.php?main_page=movies

Last edited by dynamicS; 08-27-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Forum Regular

I used to fly a Hobbico Superstar Gas engine plane. That was a great hobby but I was always afraid I would crash it. I'd like to get back into it though. I'm thinking about getting an electric one instead of the gas engine because I've been told its a little bit less set up and clean up.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
13, it's a great hobby, but it does take some patience to learn. Best way to do this is to find a local AMA (American Modelers Association) club and get them to give you instruction. You'll have to join the Association anyway to fly within the law and with insurance...I strongly recommend NOT flying with out insurance, I've seen many nasty accidents.

Today's radio's will most likely have a buddy hookup that will allow someone to "take control" if you are having a problem...this is the value of an instructor.

As Andrew and others noted, go to Hobby Lobby, Tower Hobbies, or any of those online retailers and look for a .40 2-stroke gas engine model - they'll list airplane kits specifically by engine size. ARF's (almost ready to fly) are great if you just want to get up and going with flying. They're relatively inexpensive, and you won't have the emotional attachment to a plane you took 6 weeks to build. So if it crashes, you get replacement parts, snap/glue them on and go again. I actually like the building aspect more than the flying, but I'm nutty anyway.

Post back a not if you think you like a particular plane/kit, and we'll let you know what we think. Don't forget the Radio/Servo costs, field kit, and all that.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Forum Regular

The Hobbico Superstar was a great learner plane. It was easy to fly and was less than $500.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by blacklimitedcoupe
I used to fly a Hobbico Superstar Gas engine plane. That was a great hobby but I was always afraid I would crash it. I'd like to get back into it though. I'm thinking about getting an electric one instead of the gas engine because I've been told its a little bit less set up and clean up.
i started with gas powered planes (dihedral trainer)... i still have 4 in my basement... cap, extra (4 stroke), sea plane, super sports 40. the gas is so messy by comparison. the field box, the gas, starter, charger, battery, etc. its a project just to fly.

this new electric... stryker c... does a true 80 mph... unlimited vertical... only $249... its just awesome. and replacement parts are cheap (knock on wood... i haven't needed any yet).

plus it fits in the back of the crossfire. just the plane... lithium battery and radio... that's it... i'm ready to fly in seconds and can fly in any large field.

PKZ4200-actionW2.jpg

~ but for starters... go with the slower version... at $169.

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_parkzone_stryker.htm

PKZ1200B1.jpg

Old 09-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator

~ for all rc guys:

Wow, this is a great toy:

"A Canadian RC airplane enthusiast shows us some sweet unanticipated convergence between a model RC airplane and virtual reality gear. It works like this: The airplane is a conventional one, controlled by a wireless remote control. On the airplane is a pan-and-tilt camera, controlled also wirelessly. Here's the cool part. The video is viewable through virtual reality goggles, which have a gyroscope built in to sense the movement of the goggles. When the wearer moves his head, the camera moves. Tragically, this is not a product you can buy, but a DIY project".

see video: http://www.therawfeed.com/2006/09/vr...olest-toy.html

Old 11-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Administrator

crash n burn...

ouch... i sent her straight in to the ground today ... at full throttle (80+ mph) inverted. it ended up in many many pieces.

i headed directly to the hobby store for a (plug & play) replacement... its all good again. and now ready for another fast flight.

PKZ4200-actionW2.jpg