General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please
View Poll Results: Members will have to register again after they been deleted:
Delete members with less than 6 month of inactivity and 1 or less posts
22.73%
Delete members with less than 6 month of inactivity and less that 10 posts
9.09%
Delete members with 6 months of inactivity and less than 50 posts
12.12%
Don't delete any members with less that 1 year of inactivity
36.36%
Never delete a member regardless of inactivity
19.70%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Should we clean up our Database?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:43 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Should we clean up our Database?

Here I am again causing trouble, but I can't help it.
I just did a review of the number of members in this forum, and how many are active. It seems to me that if you go back six months you will see members who at least have posted but don't frequent the forum too much, but they do. After 6 months you start seeing members who posted less than 10 times, many never posted anything and have not logged in again. Is there any value in keeping these members in the database? With few exceptions I bet not.

I want to start a poll. Please vote your mind. I would like to see Mightyjlr take a look at your input so he can decide which way to go. Personally I rather deal with real data and not stale information. Keep in mind that a member can register again after they been deleted for inactivity.

Last edited by FP; 04-08-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:57 AM
FP
Default Re: Should we clean up our Database?

...BUMP...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you delete a user, but keep their posts?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 AM
FP

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Can you delete a user, but keep their posts?
Don't know, maybe Andrew can help with that question.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very good way to run us off that like to read these post.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Forum Regular

That reminds me - I haven't posted in Stangnet since I sold my Mustang (in 2005)...

Old 04-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
Here I am again causing trouble, but I can't help it.
I just did a review of the number of members in this forum, and how many are active. It seems to me that if you go back six months you will see members who at least have posted but don't frequent the forum too much, but they do. After 6 months you start seeing members who posted less than 10 times, many never posted anything and have not logged in again. Is there any value in keeping these members in the database? With few exceptions I bet not.

I want to start a poll. Please vote your mind. I would like to see Mightyjlr take a look at your input so he can decide which way to go. Personally I rather deal with real data and not stale information. Keep in mind that a member can register again after they been deleted for inactivity.
I agree that it would be nice to get a more accurate list of active members and remove those who don't even log in anymore.
I don't consider the number of posts to be used as a determination of remaining active or not but if they have not logged in in the past 6 months I say remove them.

I voted: Delete members with 6 month of inactivity and less that 10 posts

Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 PM

Isn't the database of information in these posts what keeps folks interested in this site? I would bet a lot of folks are browsing, looking for info that they deem useful. I think that many posts, while good in the spirit of the community, don't contribute a single relevent thing that most people would find of use to their car. Time and time again I hear veteran members ***** about folks not using the search function and how they are tired of reposts and meaningless chatter. I personally prefer to lurk unless I have something of meaning to contribute. Others seem to just post for the sake of posting. I would prefer to have fewer posts and more substance.

Flame away!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 PM
FP

Originally Posted by ZappaIsAlive
Isn't the database of information in these posts what keeps folks interested in this site?
I don't want the posts deleted. I agree with you. There is a lot of good information we don't want to delete. I think some of you are missing the question. We don't know how many active members we have, as many have moved on and have not logged in along long time, and maybe they will never log-in again. You dont have to post. If you like to lurk around, that's great. This only applied to inactive users, not posts.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:22 PM
RPM

I would say that if a person has not logged on to the site in 1 year, yank them (but leave their posts).
I would not focus on post counts. Many people log in to peruse, but don't post much. They should not be deleted.
Just my .02

Last edited by RPM; 04-08-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by RPM
I would say that if a person has not logged on to the site in 1 year, yank them (but leave their posts).
I would not focus on post counts. Many people log in to peruse, but don't post much. They should not be deleted.
Just my .02
I second this.

I've seen other forums where they have a "ranking" system whereby all you have to do is log on, not necessarily post.

We already have a somewhat similar system of ranking the post count of members by the "senior/regular" below their name. Something similar for logging onto the forum could be helpful.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow sure are a lot of old people in that picture wierd

Old 04-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Forum Regular

Like many of you, I'm a registered member of other forums pertaining to other things other than Crossfires. At one forum, I'm fast approaching 10,000 posts over the last 10 years. Things have been a little slow there and getting people to post is like pulling teeth. I know there are many folks who come to read what's there and leave without posting a reply or starting a new topic. I see their screen names in the visitors box on a regular basis.

When we pick up new members there, we try to encourage them to participate even if it means some repetitive posting of the same or similar subjects that have been covered in the past. Eliminating discussions of interest to a new member just because it was covered in the past is not conducive to encouraging new people to ask questions and getting involved. If you tell them to just do a search and don't bother to ask for information, it will stifle their enthusiasm about participating with the group and we will become an anti-social reference site with no interaction among the registered members.

I don't know how long this site has been active, but unless it's getting too expensive to store all the data from the past, I would say leave it there. Do not eliminate it. As far as those people who registered and rapidly lost interest and never came back, do away with them.

Do the administrators have the capability to send an email to every registered member? If they do, send a message and ask everyone to check their profile to make sure they are up-to-date, and let them know that if they haven't visited the site and posted within the last year or so they will be dropped from the registered member list, and will have to re-register to be able to view pics and post. Give them an adequate warning before you give them the boot. That way we may be able to inspire them to get involved again, and isn't that what forums are for?

Bob

Old 04-08-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Xfirenorth
I don't know how long this site has been active, but unless it's getting too expensive to store all the data from the past, I would say leave it there. Do not eliminate it. As far as those people who registered and rapidly lost interest and never came back, do away with them.

Do the administrators have the capability to send an email to every registered member? If they do, send a message and ask everyone to check their profile to make sure they are up-to-date, and let them know that if they haven't visited the site and posted within the last year or so they will be dropped from the registered member list, and will have to re-register to be able to view pics and post. Give them an adequate warning before you give them the boot. That way we may be able to inspire them to get involved again, and isn't that what forums are for?

Bob
This forum began with the first post by the current administrator (mightjlr) here on March 25,2003.
Over the past 5 years there have been 13821 members who have at one time registered and signed in and currently we have only 1748 active members.
This info is shown under statistics on the home screen. It would be impossible to try to contact every member who ever registered here and has gone inactive and many probably don't have the same email either. We are not asking that anything be done that would remove data from the archives and if removing the many inactive users would do that then I agree leave it alone. It would just be nice to go to the members list and see only active members listed there.

Last edited by Valk; 04-08-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxwell
And mostly in shorts!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxwell
And how come it's all SUV's, trucks and mini vans behind them? weird indeed.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
FP

Let me make one thing clear. If I wasn't I apologize. The focus of deleting or not a member is based on the las time he/she logged in, not the amount of posts. I was just trying to explain how some members joined say 3 years ago, posted 10 times, and have not logged in a again in 2.5 years. If you analyze the data. You will see that most members who have not logged in in 6 months actually haven't logged in in much more time than that, regardless of how many posts they have.

So what I mean by inactivity is log-in times, not number of posts. Maybe I should have left the number of posts out of the poll. Please disregard that.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
And how come it's all SUV's, trucks and mini vans behind them? weird indeed.
Because all our crossfires were lined up on the street and about to be brought in and arranged for the Crossfire photo

Last edited by Valk; 04-08-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM
Just my .02
Sounds good but how about sending an email of "warning" before deleting?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by 70GT6
Sounds good but how about sending an email of "warning" before deleting?
Over the past 5 years there have been 13821 members who have at one time registered and signed in and currently we have only 1748 active members.
This info is shown under statistics on the home screen. It would be impossible to try to contact every member who ever registered here and has gone inactive and many probably don't have the same email either.

Quick Reply: Should we clean up our Database?