General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

First speeding ticket in 13 years! Advice?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First speeding ticket in 13 years! Advice?

I'm 31 years old and I haven't had a speeding ticket since I was 18.

But strangely enough I got one today, maybe not so strange considering I was driving the Crossfire. The police officer was very rude to me and cited me at 78 mph in a 60 mph zone. I was not doing that speed. In fact, he was annoyed when he asked me what speed I was going at and I said, "I was going 61 to 65mph".

His arguments:
1. He lasered me a long time beforehand at 78mph. I find it hard to believe considering that he was coming the other way on an 8 lane divided highway around a corner? I have been educated in physics and lasers don't bend (unless in the presence of a strong gravitational field) nor do they pass through solid objects, like bridges. This cop actually came from the other side of the highway, under a concrete bridge, did a u-turn??
2. He said that I was passing other traffic at 60mph. Not hard at 65 mph.
3. He said that he saw the "nose of my car tilting forward as if slowing down as soon as I saw him". Yes, I did get off my accelerator to try to figure out why some idiot in a chevy impala was doing an illegal u-turn on an 8 lane divided highway. When I realized it was a cop, it made sense (not the idiot part, but the illegal u-turn part.)

Of course, all of his arguments fail because I know that I did exactly 61-65 mph the whole time I was driving in the quarter mile between the 50mph on-ramp and where I was pulled over. As I tried to explain this to him, however, he made it clear from his attitude that he wasn't interested in hearing what I had to say.

But I'm not here to argue with the executive branch of the law (even though they are only human.) However, I do not want a speeding ticket on my record for obvious reasons. What are my options?

(Please, no "cops are pigs" posts or "you're an idiot" posts. Unnecessary.)

Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Re: First speeding ticket in 13 years! Advice?

Originally Posted by sonoronos
I'm 31 years old and I haven't had a speeding ticket since I was 18.

But strangely enough I got one today, maybe not so strange considering I was driving the Crossfire. The police officer was very rude to me and cited me at 78 mph in a 60 mph zone. I was not doing that speed. In fact, he was annoyed when he asked me what speed I was going at and I said, "I was going 61 to 65mph".

His arguments:
1. He lasered me a long time beforehand at 78mph. I find it hard to believe considering that he was coming the other way on an 8 lane divided highway around a corner? I have been educated in physics and lasers don't bend (unless in the presence of a strong gravitational field) nor do they pass through solid objects, like bridges. This cop actually came from the other side of the highway, under a concrete bridge, did a u-turn??
2. He said that I was passing other traffic at 60mph. Not hard at 65 mph.
3. He said that he saw the "nose of my car tilting forward as if slowing down as soon as I saw him". Yes, I did get off my accelerator to try to figure out why some idiot in a chevy impala was doing an illegal u-turn on an 8 lane divided highway. When I realized it was a cop, it made sense (not the idiot part, but the illegal u-turn part.)

Of course, all of his arguments fail because I know that I did exactly 61-65 mph the whole time I was driving in the quarter mile between the 50mph on-ramp and where I was pulled over. As I tried to explain this to him, however, he made it clear from his attitude that he wasn't interested in hearing what I had to say.

But I'm not here to argue with the executive branch of the law (even though they are only human.) However, I do not want a speeding ticket on my record for obvious reasons. What are my options?

(Please, no "cops are pigs" posts or "you're an idiot" posts. Unnecessary.)
Sorry to hear.

It was my naive understanding that a laser gun had to be manually operated and "Gun-Sighted" to a reflective surface, such as a front license plate.

Do they make a unit that "self-aims"? I didn't think they would work from a moving vehicle.

I dunno'.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Default Re: First speeding ticket in 13 years! Advice?

My understanding of how a laser works is that it must be aimed or sighted, he probably flashed you by radar. In any case it's always your word against his if you decide to take it to court.

Can you say Defensive Drivers Course ?

Just my Dos Centavos !

Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All states have different appeals process, all slanted in the direction of the state. But still my suggestion is to appeal with a hearing and present your case, but in the end, unless you have some good evidence to prove the officer is wrong, it will come down to your word vs the officers word. Saying you're sorry helps too, (the assumption is you're guilty, no matter what you think) If you lose during the hearing I suggest going before option B which is generally a Judge, sometimes you get more sympathy to your cause, especially if you are sorry, (again the assumption is you are guilty) and have an otherwise accident free and speeding free record.

Otherwise you can pay the ticket, not miss two days of work, not get parking tickets at the courthouse, not surround yourself with the dregs of society and possibly lose your appeal anyway...

Many insurance companies give one "freebie" ticket to people with clean records, might be worth checking with your agent. All this of course is not necessary if you are one of the "entitled" Americans...those with relations to law enforcement that never seem to actually have to pay a speeding ticket...Have this law enforcement relation call the writing officer and ask nicely not to appear in court...but judging by your lack of fraternal order of police sticker on the car, or a horizontal black and blue decal, you probably don't have any law enforcement relatives...hence the ticket in the first place...now return to sentence one. Keep us up to date

Old 05-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

>Pay the "bond" (fine) on the back of the ticket request a court date/hearing
>At the court date/hearing before the judge it is my understanding that (if there were two) both officers have to be present. If not then not valid ticket, but how you work this out, if it is true in your state, I don't know.
>If you can't get the ticket withdrawn make sure it is NOT left on your record so that when a insurance company checks it shows. I can't remember the terminalogy (sp? I don't have spell check on the forum like the rest of you) but there are different ways for the ticket to be left valid. Saying you don't want points isn't enough to also have it not show when a company checks. Ask around there is another request you make beyond "I don't want points on my record".
>Bring a actual state map or county map of the ramp and area to show the judge exactly where you were and how your explaination is in fact reasonalbe.
>Never say anything about the conduct or tone of the officer.
>There is a book someone wrote about getting out of tickets, can't remember the title or author, but they pointed out several things that have to happen for a ticket to be valid.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 PM

Some times cars like ours get stopped just cause they look like they are going fast!
To drop the front end you would have to hammer the brakes. Sounds likes you may have been on the 494, or 394 fund raiser route, sorry to hear you got nabbed.
Did you ask the officer for a radar lock?, in Mn they are required to show you if you ask.
Talk with the prosecutor, tell them you will plead to a public nusance charge, That will not go on driving record for insurance.
Good luck!
G

Old 05-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't pay the ticket and just show up for the court date. Show up and pray the cop doesn't. If he does, just look and act like your sorry. The judge will probably look at your driving record and just send you away with a reduced fee and pardon the rest. Its happened to me before.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the advice, folks. It's really helpful. Court date on July 2nd.

Yes, it was right under the overpass of Argenta and 494.

I'd like to have a police officer in the family but I'll have to marry one to get that to happen.

OK I'm going to also buy myself a freaking RADAR DETECTOR! The second thing I thought when the cop pulled me over was "you should have bought a radar/laser detector!!"

Valentine V1? Or can I get away with cheaper?

Last edited by sonoronos; 05-30-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to have a police officer in the family but I'll have to marry one to get that to happen.

OK I'm going to also buy myself a freaking RADAR DETECTOR! The second thing I thought when the cop pulled me over was "you should have bought a radar/laser detector!!"

I have the Valentine and highly recommend it. Also, you could get a "ticket lawyer"---you'll have to pay him, but the ticket won't go on your record.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:33 PM

You are wasting your time and money! Call a ticket attorney. Pay them to go to court for you. In florida the attorney will cost you less then $100. You will get no points and pay court costs only. They may even get the ticket thrown out if the officer did not cross his t's and dot his i's.

It is not worth your time to spend the entire day in the courhouse waiting for your case to come up. Lawyers always go first. Been there done that. Let the ticket clinic attorney's handle it. That is what they get paid for. JMHO

PS I have a Valentine.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:38 PM

Sorry to hear this buddy If you buy a radar detector don't go cheap get a V1 saves lives I kid u not lol the integrated system is even better BUT DO NOT RELY ON IT this doesn't mean you can speed why you are by yourself it simply means speed if you are with traffic and I will tell you where I am hiding. I am sure this will get over turned in court don't worry about it, they will make u pay the fine and clear it off your record.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: First speeding ticket in 13 years! Advice?

Have your day in court with an lawyer that is well versed in traffic law. Consult with him and try to get a copy of your driving record before the court date. The officer will have to produce the radar/laser printout to prove that you were indeed speeding. If you have a good driving record you will more than likely get away with driving school, courts cost and no points on your license.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:28 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

In Illinois you have the option to pay the ticket and ask for supervision, meaning that as long as you don't get a ticket in say 90 days, it will not go on your record. Depending on your record, and violation, you might have to take a safety driving class. Does your state have this option?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your ticket and I'm familiar with the area since I lived up that neck of the woods for 14 years. I have a radar dector which has saved my butt numerous times. We arent always paying attention to our speedos and whenever my detector goes off I quickly glance down to be sure I'm within the speedlimit and slow down accordingly. I have a Passport 8500 and intend to upgrade to the 9500 since mine has been around for quite a few years. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I am not familiar w/ your state process, I can tell you, you can plead not guilty, a court date should be set, at which time you will have to prove your side...I have trained attorney friends here in IN...I would highly recommend an attorney w/ this knowledge...he will ask the officer's procedure, did he do the necessary calibrations before, during and after his shift, how did you know he was tracking your car and not someone else, when was the last time the unit was certified by a technition licensed to do such work, and the gentleman who said show me the lock, isn't correct. We cannot lock our radar, because then we couldn't prove a tracking history, meaning I must prove I detected your vehicle from the time of the track until the time you past and I lost the track...thus tracking history...hire the attorney...Doc....30 yrs on the force....
PS...1 more thing, you said you weren't doing the speed he tracked you at, but, remember, if you were going above the posted speed limit, speeding is speeding even if were 3,4 mph...and a good judge will cite you anyway...may save a point or 2 on your license though....

Last edited by oledoc2u; 05-31-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 AM

1 more point of radar vs laser....he could have been running moving radar...again he has to prove a tracking history...laser must be stationary and it is precise...and instant...but still has to prove a track...sry he wasn't polite, seems to be the younger breed of officers today, its just a job, shouldn't get irate w/ anyone even if they do w/ you...Doc

Old 05-31-2008, 09:23 AM

Good points doc. That's why I'm asking about getting the speeding ticket off my record vs. asking about someone who can defend me in court. I'm not looking for a "get out of a ticket" argument, but a "get the ticket off my record" argument. I hope that distinction is clear and valid.

It seems like the lawyer is the way to go. Thanks again, if you have a referral PM me. I know randy mentioned "ticket clinic", boy I sure wish MN had one of those right now

I'm looking for firms in Edina, Minnetonka, some of the more ritzy neighborhoods for attorneys now. I'll keep you all updated for sure.

Jonny, good point about the radar detector. You have to understand how I drive though - I'm an old man now and I don't fly my *** all over the place like Han Solo (Not to imply that young people fly all over the place, just saying.) I just need one to avoid the "misunderstandings" so to speak. They just take up way too much of my time.

Last edited by sonoronos; 05-31-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:52 AM

Just make sure your atty has experience in traffic court, many do not...judges know whether their officers have done it rt, but the atty has to prove he didn't 1st...then the judge will act...we use video here, speed displayed, conversation recorded, and a good officer will narrate everything from the time the switch is thrown till time of release...I never lost in court in 30 yrs on traffic...but, I didn't write bad paper either...some officers do...and the judge will know who does, he or she sees them every wk in some cases....we have 8 judges here...I know everyone of them, and they know me...many times they will tell the defendant, if Doc says you were doing it, you can bank on it you were, then in goes the tape, and the video tells the story...but officers do write bad paper and do lose when they do if they are contested...that's why we train and train to do it rt...good luck, hope you win....

Old 05-31-2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Just make sure your atty has experience in traffic court, many do not...judges know whether their officers have done it rt, but the atty has to prove he didn't 1st...then the judge will act...we use video here, speed displayed, conversation recorded, and a good officer will narrate everything from the time the switch is thrown till time of release...I never lost in court in 30 yrs on traffic...but, I didn't write bad paper either...some officers do...and the judge will know who does, he or she sees them every wk in some cases....we have 8 judges here...I know everyone of them, and they know me...many times they will tell the defendant, if Doc says you were doing it, you can bank on it you were, then in goes the tape, and the video tells the story...but officers do write bad paper and do lose when they do if they are contested...that's why we train and train to do it rt...good luck, hope you win....
Sounds like you were A+ on the force, doc. THanks.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
My daughter had gotten in a car accident. The attorney went to court and the officer had not noted what direction she was going, NESW and the ticket was thrown out. No points, no court costs. It never happened. Except for the $1000 it cost me for a new door.
Lucky her.

Quick Reply: First speeding ticket in 13 years! Advice?