General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Opinions on NASCAR racing (a funny read)

Old 06-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Opinions on NASCAR racing (a funny read)

I for one love motorsports but find myself always rolling my eyes at NASCAR. I know it is big in the south but it seems to attact a certian "class" of people for the most part. I am not one to stereotype but this type of "racing" seems to do a good job at doing just that. For those that are fans please do not take offence, this is simply a good natured "ribbing" at the "sport" of NASCAR.

First, definitions of NASCAR from urbandictionary.com:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nascar

1. NASCAR The official sport of in breeds, rednecks as well as white trash!
Look at all those WT at the NASCAR race!
by Piranha May 16, 2005 email it 0 comments
NASCAR images //2. NASCAR Non-Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks
Jeff Gordon can be found in every Redneck's home. (NASCAR)
by Orff Bajsligan Oct 2, 2005 email it 0 comments
3. NASCAR

Turning left in a Chevrolet for 4 hours.
Jim: What's on TV today?
Bob: NASCAR.
Jim: Let's go to a movie.
by Capheine Dec 10, 2003 email it 0 comments

4. NASCAR Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks

Coincedince? We think not.
The definition speaks for itself
by Ninjalo Nov 28, 2003 email it 0 comments
5. NASCAR

The sorriest excuse for a sport ever invented. An excuse for stupid white rednecks to come together and watch other stupid white rednecks turn left in a car for 3 to 4 hours. It also doubles as a 3 to 4 hour commercial in which you here and see more advertisement than actual talent. And I do not care what all of you NASCAR fans say, everyone who associates themselves with it is a redneck, regardless of where the driver or the race is. I'm sorry, but I would rather watch competetive elephant ejaculation than a NASCAR race
Stupid White Redneck 1: Hey there bud, lets go sit on our asses and smoke cigarettes and drink shitty lite beer in our wifebeaters at the NASCAR race today. Then we can go home and abuse our families in a fit of drunken rage.
Stupid White Redneck 2: Yup, sounds fun.
stupid redneck hillbilly white trash retarded
by Steeeeeeeeve Jun 19, 2006 email it 1 comment
6. nascar

the only sport in the world that can completely empty out a Wal-Mart store of all people on every weekend. (i actully a race stock car on the dirt ovals, so LOL!!!)
A good day to go to Wal-mart is on sunday. All of the normal customers home watching the nascar race and beating the **** out of their wife/sister.
**** wife beating redneck
by just for a laugh Apr 16, 2006 email it 0 comments
7. nascar

An event in which big car-shaped billboards, bearing the names of hundreds of corporations, are somehow driven around a track at very high speeds by smaller, human-shaped billboards
I don't understand how NASCAR does it. How do they get those billboards to go around the track so fast?
crap redneck racecar billboard boring
by agentsteve Sep 23, 2006 email it 0 comments

Old 06-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Default Re: Opinions on NASCAR racing (a funny read)

Something is wrong when the actual fans of the "sport" proudly declare themselves white trash and rednecks lol:

http://community.nascar.com/search/n...h_term=redneck

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIQ9taolW4Y[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODs1Ghl4ku4[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjJq7SPcr5M[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrKUR5phoEk[/media]

NASCAR falls handily short of "sport" criteria

By:
JOE BALESTRINO
Staff Writer

I returned home a week ago after a long day of class with the hopes of relaxing in front of the television by watching ESPN's SportsCenter. Unfortunately, the network was giving a lengthy report on the previous week's NASCAR race - something that could not interest me less. I didn't panic, however, not with the ESPN News channel a click away. After changing the channel, I realized, much to my horror, that ESPN News was also reporting on NASCAR.

Now, I realize that NASCAR's popularity has been on the rise, but ESPN, as a sports network, should only be reporting on actual sports. That's right Tony Stewart fans, NASCAR is NOT a sport. Sure, one could argue that ESPN's increased coverage is indicative of NASCAR's sports-worthiness, however, it also has increased its coverage of the World Series of Poker, and last time I checked, poker is not a sport either.

The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing was founded by Bill France on Feb. 21, 1948. Although its growth was initially slow, NASCAR has exploded in recent years in terms of its fan base, number of races and overall wealth. Today, it is the largest sanctioning body of motor sports in the United States and includes the Nextel Cup, the Busch Series and the Craftsman Truck Series.

NASCAR is sometimes perceived as requiring less driving skill to race, compared with the complicated twists and turns seen in the typical Formula One course that puts up to five or six G's of stress on the driver's body. To me, however, it is all equally boring. I have only chosen to rant against NASCAR because it is the most popular.

Webster's Dictionary defines sport as a source of diversion or a physical activity engaged in for pleasure. A NASCAR fan might argue that auto racing is indeed a sport based upon this definition, and they would have an argument. The problem is that this definition is too broad to be applied to modern sports. Under this definition, the world of sports would include every activity from basketball to Rock Paper Scissors. Some fans claim it takes a lot of skill to maintain focus for such a long time, but so does playing video games - again, not a sport.

Another problem I have with this "sport" is that it is about as exciting as watching grass grow. I just don't understand how anyone could sit for three hours and enjoy watching cars drive around in circles. NASCAR's saving grace is its potential for crashes, which can add some excitement, but can also greatly harm the drivers. That would be like attending a hockey game with the hopes of witnessing an incident reminiscent of Todd Bertuzzi.

Furthermore, I thought that sports necessitated athletic ability from their participants. Though I don't doubt that some drivers are athletes, the "sport" itself does not require it. How much possible athletic ability does it take to drive? Unlike athletes in any other sport, NASCAR drivers do not need to work out during the season or in the off-season, which again weakens the argument for NASCAR's sport candidacy. To that assertion, many NASCAR fans would respond that there are other accepted sports such as golf that also don't require athletic ability. Yet, even the John Dalys of the world have to be able to swing a club and walk 18 holes. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it helps to be in good shape as a driver, yet it also helps to be in good shape as a surgeon, and I don't see anyone calling them athletes.

It seems to me that the measure of these "athletes" is their ability to remain alert for three hours while withholding all urges to go to the bathroom. Sure, the sport requires exertion, but it is of a mental nature - not a physical one. In actuality, drivers really only need to be in good enough shape to fit in the car and maintain consciousness behind the wheel. For good reason, you would never see the likes of Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart or Dale Earnhardt Jr. on a list of the world's greatest athletes.

According to Tim Calkins, a clinical associate professor of marketing at Northwestern University, the appeal of NASCAR is the fact that people can identify with their stars.

"What draws people to NASCAR is the experience of the sport, following the teams and the drivers, and that's the part people identify with and relate to," Calkins said on foxsports.com. "People immerse themselves in the culture of NASCAR, and it comes to define a little bit of who they are."

Calkin's quotation brings me to my next point - the NASCAR culture. If Calkins is right, that NASCAR comes to "define a little bit of who [fans] are," then that could explain the reason why I abhor the "sport." The NASCAR culture, which can be summed up symbolically through its unofficial banner, the Confederate flag, epitomizes almost everything I am not. The waving of the Confederate flag, which decorates the clothing and vehicle of many die-hard NASCAR fans, is ironically flown during races of the "sport" which consists of nearly all Anglo-Saxon men. The severe lack of diversity in all aspects of NASCAR is another issue in and of itself.

Aside from the flag, however, there are other repellent aspects of the racing culture. A NASCAR man drives a pickup truck, loves to hunt and drink, and is a die-hard country music fan. This description is sure to make every "Yankee" envious.

Calkin also implies that NASCAR's drivers and management are more or less commoners. Like the Griffeys of baseball and the Mannings of football, he would argue, NASCAR has its storied families of people just like us who were born to be great drivers. Unlike them, however, the Earnhardts, Labontes and others don't have racing in their genes like the Mannings have quarterbacking. Nor are they more superior behind the wheel than the rest of the world's experienced drivers. The reason why NASCAR has its family dynasties comes down to one word: money. Simply put, NASCAR is all about who has enough money to fund a racing team first. The driver is of a secondary concern.

That's not all, either. For those readers who are environmentally conscious, consider the following facts: about 6,000 gallons of the United States' fuel are consumed during a typical Nextel Cup weekend. After the conclusion of the 2006 season (which includes 36 points races), the total fuel consumption will be about 216,000 gallons. One environmental critic recently estimated NASCAR's total fuel consumption across all series at 2 million gallons of gas per season. If you ask me, non-renewable natural resources are not exactly something we should be squandering so that people can watch cars drive around in circles for hours on end.

What's more is that these consumption figures provide no insight on environmental impact in terms of emissions. According to NASCAR's Web site, its vehicles are generally unregulated by the Environmental Protection Agency and, in particular, have no mufflers, catalytic converters or other emissions control devices. However, some local short tracks, which run under NASCAR sanction, require certain emissions control devices.

Although I understand the reasoning behind extending TV coverage of races, it still saddens me that ESPN and other respected sports networks have sold out to the NASCAR constituency. I don't care if Ricky Bobby and his Wonder Bread car participate; I will never degrade myself by watching or attending a NASCAR event.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:09 AM

Nov 26

Why NASCAR is Not a Sport

By: Kevin on 11/26/04 @ 8:25 pm
Why NASCAR is not a sport.
Every sport has classic movies that are attached to it. Football has the “Longest Yard”, “North Dallas Forty”, “Knute Rockne All-American”, and “Brian’s Song”. Baseball has “Bull Durham”, “Field of Dreams”, and “Damned Yankees”. Every sport has a classic movie… Hockey, Boxing, Soccer, Golf, Wrestling (not fake wrestling), and even Marathon running… they all have classic movies. NASCAR has “Stroker Ace” and “Days of Thunder” yeah… read that sentence again… STROKER ACE and DAYS OF THUNDER….. Come on now…
Your major trophy or title is sponsored and for years it was named after cigarettes associated with total white trash. It used to be the Winston cup and now it is the Nextel cup… What other sport has a sponsorship of their major title… NONE.
There is not NASCAR college racing. Every other sport is played at a collegiate level.
When you are actually integrated come back and talk to me. There will be a female president before there is an African American Nascar champion. Hell, half the people hate Jeff Gordon because he is from California so he is not “one of the boys”. Not the most open minded fans ever. Go ahead and try to throw hockey in my face. The scoring leader Jerome Ignla is African Canadian… Um next.
They are driving billboards… Lame.
Come back to me when at least half of your events are held above the Mason Dixon line.
Look at the crowd there…. … 80% white trash… and I bet at least 90% of a NASCAR crowd voted for Bush proving the lack of intelligence.
THEY DRIVE AROUND IN A CIRCLE FOR HOURS……….
I can drive fast too.
People die in major events every couple of years. It doesn’t make it a sport it makes it an act of idiocy.
Which one of these things is not like the other: Montana, Gretzky, Jordan, Armstrong, Mia Hamm, Bonds, Dale Earnhardt… Oh that is right one of these people are pushing up daises. It is no good to have the best person from your sport in the last twenty years dead…
Too many people attend events in RV’s.
I am sure I will think of more reasons… I will add to this later.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Old 06-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it must be lonly at the water treatment plant in wv, you are for obama and against nascar, that explains your current state of affairs. Your melting down again, btw nice oprah pics you have been posting.Talk about a social outcast. "IM MR PHOTOMAN" "GO OBAMA"

Last edited by nascarhq; 06-21-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:36 AM

Please do not take this thread off topic and who is this guy: Is that the Eric person you keep talking about?

Old 06-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Forum Regular

isnt the thread about your hatred of nascar racing, your melting down and going off topic yet again mrphotoman.or should i say mrwatertreatmentplantman?

Old 06-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is wrong with a water treatment plant???

Old 06-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Forum Regular

nothing , if that all you want out of life, some folks have low self-esteem, very low expectations of success, and no real goals for themselves, and go around the internet pretending to be other people,and posting their tranny website material.thats perfectly ok....im just saying when you work at a sewage treatment plant,the sewer stench obviously rubs off on some folks BUT to the point of the thread, nascar racing is corperate advertising run amuck,but to insult all nascar fans as rascists like mpm has, is just the same ol sorry obama supporters crybaby ranting. just replace the Nascar with Clinton and you have all his political posts in a nutshell. pathetic

Last edited by nascarhq; 06-21-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
7. nascar

An event in which big car-shaped billboards, bearing the names of hundreds of corporations, are somehow driven around a track at very high speeds by smaller, human-shaped billboards
Funny stuff.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb
Funny stuff.
lol yes it is, it never fails to amaze me how oh so many nascar fans live up to the stereotype. You do not have to look far to see what I mean, lmao.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 PM

I have never met a sophisticated nascar fan. Has anyone?

Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6nTulsa
I think the quite odd and rather mentally ill nascarhq is a perfect example of the classic nascar fan lmao.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by nascarhq
it must be lonly at the water treatment plant in wv, you are for obama and against nascar, that explains your current state of affairs. Your melting down again, btw nice oprah pics you have been posting.Talk about a social outcast. "IM MR PHOTOMAN" "GO OBAMA"
hahahahaha. this is exactly what I expected to see when I read the title of this thread.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by SRT6nTulsa

Actually, I have.

I'm somewhat a fan of NASCAR, by buddies son drives for Dale Earnhardt Jr.. Brad Keselowski, number 88 Navy Chevrolet. He's pretty damn good too.

I also happen to know the Vice-President of Regulatory Affairs at Chrysler is a NASCAR fan. That's a good middle 6 figure job, and she's sophisticated enough to speak in front of Congress or the House.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:34 AM

Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That dude with the permanent sweater is gross!!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 PM