General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Crossfire Insurance - Over 50

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crossfire Insurance - Over 50

Let me begin by saying I do not sell insurance nor do I have any affiliation with any insurance company.

I had my auto and home policies with Farmer's Insurance for over 20 years with no claims. No tickets during that time. Approximately 2 years ago while entering a freeway onramp, the car in the next lane swerved into mine slightly ahead and alongside. I had two choices, hit him (her) or try to squeeze to the right and hope I miss the curbing in front of the railing. Instinct led me to swerve to the right and I just clipped the curb. Absolutely no body damage but it tore a chunk out of my right front wheel and tire. Somehow, a piece of the wheel flew back and hit the right rear wheel, ruining it and slicing the right rear tire. Miraculously, there wasn't even a scratch on the right side of the body.

The right front suspension was not so lucky and was shoved back about an inch. The tie rod was bent and most of the right front suspension pieces were busted up. All told there was just over $4000 worth of damage. I filed a report with the insurance company and my agent said there was no "fault" and truly an accident. I asked him if he thought my rates would increase and he said he didn't think they would considering my driving record and there was no other vehicle damage or personal injury. He actually said "...at $4000, it is one of the lowest auto insurance claims he had seen in some time."

Well someone forgot to give that memo to Farmer's. Upon renewal, my insurance doubled to $2400 per year. I did some online shopping and every other company offered policies ranging from $250 to $600 less. I mentioned this to my Farmer's agent and he said "...yeah Farmer's has really come down hard lately" and I was not the only one with doubled rates.

That afternoon I got an offer in the mail from AARP for Auto Insurance through the Hartford. I called and gave them all my info. I only drive the Crossfire 6K miles per year for pleasure 100/300/100 Liability, medical, uninsured motorist 100/300, $250 deductible comprehensive and $500 deductible collision. Accident forgiveness for the first accident AND a 10% reduction in deductibles for each year I go accident free. All this for only $1290 a year! That was nearly 1/2 what Farmer's wanted!

I asked if I transferred my home insurance if it would affect the amount and they said they would discount the home owners insurance if I combined them. I did, and paid another $200 less for the same home coverage I had with Farmer's.

That was a year ago. Just got my new policy. It appears I have been elevated to a "Superior driver" in addition to being a "Good Driver". My renewal cost is now a remarkable $891 for an entire year. Some of you might not think this is such a great deal, but if you drove in SoCal, this would be a good deal for a 6 month policy.

I can only imagine how inexpensive the Hartford's (AARP special) policies in other parts of the country. If you are over 50, check it out!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crossfire Insurance - Over 50

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
Let me begin by saying I do not sell insurance nor do I have any affiliation with any insurance company.

I had my auto and home policies with Farmer's Insurance for over 20 years with no claims. No tickets during that time. Approximately 2 years ago while entering a freeway onramp, the car in the next lane swerved into mine slightly ahead and alongside. I had two choices, hit him (her) or try to squeeze to the right and hope I miss the curbing in front of the railing. Instinct led me to swerve to the right and I just clipped the curb. Absolutely no body damage but it tore a chunk out of my right front wheel and tire. Somehow, a piece of the wheel flew back and hit the right rear wheel, ruining it and slicing the right rear tire. Miraculously, there wasn't even a scratch on the right side of the body.

The right front suspension was not so lucky and was shoved back about an inch. The tie rod was bent and most of the right front suspension pieces were busted up. All told there was just over $4000 worth of damage. I filed a report with the insurance company and my agent said there was no "fault" and truly an accident. I asked him if he thought my rates would increase and he said he didn't think they would considering my driving record and there was no other vehicle damage or personal injury. He actually said "...at $4000, it is one of the lowest auto insurance claims he had seen in some time."

Well someone forgot to give that memo to Farmer's. Upon renewal, my insurance doubled to $2400 per year. I did some online shopping and every other company offered policies ranging from $250 to $600 less. I mentioned this to my Farmer's agent and he said "...yeah Farmer's has really come down hard lately" and I was not the only one with doubled rates.

That afternoon I got an offer in the mail from AARP for Auto Insurance through the Hartford. I called and gave them all my info. I only drive the Crossfire 6K miles per year for pleasure 100/300/100 Liability, medical, uninsured motorist 100/300, $250 deductible comprehensive and $500 deductible collision. Accident forgiveness for the first accident AND a 10% reduction in deductibles for each year I go accident free. All this for only $1290 a year! That was nearly 1/2 what Farmer's wanted!

I asked if I transferred my home insurance if it would affect the amount and they said they would discount the home owners insurance if I combined them. I did, and paid another $200 less for the same home coverage I had with Farmer's.

That was a year ago. Just got my new policy. It appears I have been elevated to a "Superior driver" in addition to being a "Good Driver". My renewal cost is now a remarkable $891 for an entire year. Some of you might not think this is such a great deal, but if you drove in SoCal, this would be a good deal for a 6 month policy.

I can only imagine how inexpensive the Hartford's (AARP special) policies in other parts of the country. If you are over 50, check it out!
Great to hear SIX! and for all the folks UNDER 50 (such as myself) if you're in the military, have military parents, or a spouse, you're eligible for USAA. AMAZING company to work with. at 20 years old with a speeding ticket, and the SRT6 and a honda CRX (just liability on the honda, of course ) I only pay 1300 yearly.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 PM

And for those of you who don't use their Crossfires as a daily driver and can get Hagert in your area I found them to be the cheapest. I have the Crossfire insured for $20,000 and my 82 Firebird for $10,000 full coverage for under $700.00 for the year.Hagerty - Collector Car and Boat Insurance

Old 04-07-2010, 08:33 AM

Man I just went on Hagerty,thanks for the tip, and here in MN, a 15K stated value, 1000 ded comp and collision would be 382 a year, while a 20K value, 0 ded comp and coll is 569 a year, while I'm paying 861 for ACV and 250 ded on both. I'll probably be switching very soon.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 AM

NJ is almost as expensive as Cali insurance wise and I was shocked when you said your premium went up to 2400/year.

Me being 25 w/ 1 accident on my record mine is only ~1500/year with Geico for almost identicle insurance as you have 100/300...etc.

I have been shopping around a bit to try and find some better coverage and better premiums. NJ is hella expensive and I'd rather not pay more than I have to for the same level of insurance.

Congrats on the Hartford insurance, that damn moose must know what he's doing.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Received 892 Likes on 696 Posts

In the south, Cotton States Insurance was a good deal for my pickup and Crossfire. (Just over $1000 a year).

When Hope and I got married, we moved me to her insurance. My rates dropped some, and her car's insurance ALSO dropped some. We are with GuideOne.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I pay $729.00 a year for Hartford Ins. here in Schertz, Tx about 10 minutes from San Antonio. That is for full coverage on my 2008 328i BMW and my 2005 Crossfire.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW I feel pretty good about my policy now (Geico) 3 cars the srt6 and Ford Edge have full coverage and a 96 Chevy Cavilier I purchased new to drive to work only has liabilty coverage 774.00 year 250.00 deductible. Nissan CrewCab PU On seperate policy with Farmers full coverage 215.00 year 250.00 deductible insured seperate due to Bussiness Write off.........

Howard

Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is through Grange and it runs me $936 a year. $500 Ded.