General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

@%#$^%#^ Spyware... I'm getting a MAC.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: @%#$^%#^ Spyware... I'm getting a MAC.

Well I can attest to the MAC. I have worked on a Mac since 1977 (technically in 76 it was an Apple) and I can honestly tell you that I have NEVER had a virus on my system in all these years... yeah a few technical problems mostly due to operator error , but have always loved my Mac. I use it every day in my Job.

Deb

Old 04-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry that you are having issues with your PC. Get NIS 2010 and forget your worries. If you feel that you are more secure using a Mac, think again. As Macs sell more, there will be more hacks/exploits developed for the Mac which will expose it to the same security risks as you would see now on a PC. Remember a hacker will develop hacks to gain the most $$$ on as many systems as quickly as possible. I guess it also depends on what you want to do with your computer. If you are going to do itunes, surf the web, and check email, then a Mac will probably fine for you. If you are into gaming and other applications, the PC has vastly more available for it.

One recommendation I would make is to use FireFox and use several add-ons such as No Script and AdBlock Plus. This provides a much safer surfing experience.

apple free zone for... well... since forever.

Last edited by itsky; 04-17-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by itsky
I'm sorry that you are having issues with your PC. Get NIS 2010 and forget your worries. If you feel that you are more secure using a Mac, think again. As Macs sell more, there will be more hacks/exploits developed for the Mac which will expose it to the same security risks as you would see now on a PC. Remember a hacker will develop hacks to gain the most $$$ on as many systems as quickly as possible. I guess it also depends on what you want to do with your computer. If you are going to do itunes, surf the web, and check email, then a Mac will probably fine for you. If you are into gaming and other applications, the PC has vastly more available for it.

One recommendation I would make is to use FireFox and use several add-ons such as No Script and AdBlock Plus. This provides a much safer surfing experience.

apple free zone for... well... since forever.
Every one has the right to have their own opinion. I have been training computer related subjects since 1988 am an Apple product professional. While no OS 100% secure at the present Macs are more secure. I do agree that at the present if you are into gaming you would be better off with an Xbox etc rather than a Mac or a Windows based unit { Windows does have more games and they come out sooner}
I disagree with the Idea you present that Mac's are only capable to do the simplest of tasks such as eMail etc. Any Mac will do the same work as any Window's based uint.
The difference is that in general it will do it about 20% more effectively based on the amount of time taken. And again at this time there are no issues with Spyware etc on a Mac - As to the future - I do not know of any one that can know what will come.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by lesr
Every one has the right to have their own opinion. I have been training computer related subjects since 1988 am an Apple product professional. While no OS 100% secure at the present Macs are more secure. I do agree that at the present if you are into gaming you would be better off with an Xbox etc rather than a Mac or a Windows based unit { Windows does have more games and they come out sooner}
I disagree with the Idea you present that Mac's are only capable to do the simplest of tasks such as eMail etc. Any Mac will do the same work as any Window's based uint.
The difference is that in general it will do it about 20% more effectively based on the amount of time taken. And again at this time there are no issues with Spyware etc on a Mac - As to the future - I do not know of any one that can know what will come.
Have to agree here. I have a PC laptop I use for work, and a Macbook Pro at home (along with a PC). Capabilities are the same, with the Mac being more user friendly had having a few features the PC does not. I did add "Office for Mac", and I don't care about games. We have every game system except PS-3 at my place . To each his/her own.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that Macs can do more than just the basics. It just seems like there is a lot more available for the PC. Some Mac users that I know have to dual boot into Windows Vista/7 to run certain apps or games as they are not available otherwise. I have never been an apple fan and cannot personally justify paying 2x as much for a system when my PC can do it for less, just as fast if not faster, and I can upgrade any component. For me owning an apple product would be like me buying a honda or toyota. Just ain't happening... But, like others have said, to each their own.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:56 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't drink the koolaid!! Don't get a Mac.

Kurts' advice is dead on.

As for Macs being more secure, don't believe it. They are every bit as vulnerable as any other operating system. What they're not saying is that a Mac is less likely to get infected because they have such a small market share. That small number of users isn't worth the hackers time to hack them.

By the Mac users' logic you should download OpenVMS for your computer and run that. Since VMS is so old and its market share so small, anyone that could hack it is already dead! You'd be perfectly safe! LMAO.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurts
Good evening, John!

You do, of course, understand that the Total Vista Security "program" is the actual malware that's giving you the issues, right?

If so & if you feel confident enough to remove the infection manually then print out the instructions on the link below & give it a shot.

How to remove Total Vista Security, Vista Security Tool 2010 | My Anti Spyware

Whatever you do do NOT call up their "support" number & pay them anything like my nimrod brother-in-law did and oh, they asked him for his S.S. #, too.......& you'll love this part......he gave it to them.

But hey, he no longer has issues with his rogue anti-virus program!

I'm just waiting for his credit card bills to start reflecting certain purchases made in places like the Ukraine or Bulgaria from some guy with his name.

Good luck, John!!!
Kurts, you're a life-saver. I knew it was a dummy warning system, but not how to remove it. I'll walk through the tutorial this afternoon.

Not sure how, but I completely didn't see your post until today. My bad!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by tom2112
Don't drink the koolaid!! Don't get a Mac.

Kurts' advice is dead on.

As for Macs being more secure, don't believe it. They are every bit as vulnerable as any other operating system. What they're not saying is that a Mac is less likely to get infected because they have such a small market share. That small number of users isn't worth the hackers time to hack them.

By the Mac users' logic you should download OpenVMS for your computer and run that. Since VMS is so old and its market share so small, anyone that could hack it is already dead! You'd be perfectly safe! LMAO.
If the Mac system is not more secure then please let me know why most all of the spyware and virus are on the Windows system.
There are no viruses that are not “proof of concept” on the Mac. The percentage of the total number of virus are close to 100% Windows based.
Please also look into the often quoted “Mac have such a small market share".
Just under 50% of the total number of Window based units listed are used as Cash registers
While the Mac does not have as large a market share as Window it is tends to be about 20% of actual computer users. As well Hackers do not target the Mac as the OS is more difficult to Hack [Not imposable] but more to the point a large percentage of the hacks on Windows come from individuals that do not have the experience to be able to hack any system but are able to buy programs that are pre made to use the issues within Windows.

From the tone of your message I take it that you do not like Mac's and that is fine there is no reason that you must like them. But please do look into both sides and do not state just your dislike.

Last edited by lesr; 04-19-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

At least you're thinking about how to get rid of the virus vs getting rid of the problem.

Office Space - FTW!!!

OfficeSpacePrinter1.gif

Old 04-19-2010, 03:33 PM

Avira has some great free ware for anti virus and many other issues.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
At least you're thinking about how to get rid of the virus vs getting rid of the problem.

Office Space - FTW!!!

LMAO I'd rather spend money on the car....

As it is, my PC (touchscreen HP) is only a few months old. It's lightning fast, and does more than I'll ever use.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Forum Regular

I Love my Mac ALMOST as much as I Love my Crossfire!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
LMAO I'd rather spend money on the car....

As it is, my PC (touchscreen HP) is only a few months old. It's lightning fast, and does more than I'll ever use.
BTW - you may want to check HP.com, they have been mailing "7" updates for free.

Never had any major virus issues, and certainly none that makes me want to dump pc.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Kurts, you're a life-saver. I knew it was a dummy warning system, but not how to remove it. I'll walk through the tutorial this afternoon.

Not sure how, but I completely didn't see your post until today. My bad!
Glad you 'found' it, John !

My best suggestion would be to steer away from the free A/V apps. & stick with something like McAfee, Trend Micro, Eset, Kaspersky or Norton. Spybot is an excellent anti-malware program & free is tough to beat.

I know you had just purchased your new PC a few short months ago & was surprised when you mentioned dumping it to get a Mac.
I won't get into a Mac vs. PC flame war but suffice it to say I'll be sticking with my PC. Apple's stuff is just too expensive.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what my son who works at geek squad tells me,
The upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 is well worth the money.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:24 PM

I had the same problem. I kept getting pop-ups from "Vista Defender" I ran symantic Antivirus and I think I got rid of it since it hasn't happened today. I wasn't even downloading anything, I was just on another car forum.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Forum Regular

I got hit while here on the forum yesterday, early in the afternoon. I wondered if anyone else got nabbed. Luckily, my Windows defender caught the critter before it got my laptop.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by lesr
If the Mac system is not more secure then please let me know why most all of the spyware and virus are on the Windows system.
There are no viruses that are not “proof of concept” on the Mac. The percentage of the total number of virus are close to 100% Windows based.
Please also look into the often quoted “Mac have such a small market share".
Just under 50% of the total number of Window based units listed are used as Cash registers
While the Mac does not have as large a market share as Window it is tends to be about 20% of actual computer users. As well Hackers do not target the Mac as the OS is more difficult to Hack [Not imposable] but more to the point a large percentage of the hacks on Windows come from individuals that do not have the experience to be able to hack any system but are able to buy programs that are pre made to use the issues within Windows.

From the tone of your message I take it that you do not like Mac's and that is fine there is no reason that you must like them. But please do look into both sides and do not state just your dislike.
Well, Lesr, I didn't want to reply to this without some hard facts. I hate it when people make up numbers and stats just to sound intelligent. Anyway, there's one very simple reason why the lion's share of viruses are Windows specific. Again, I will bring up market share. According to NetMarketshare (a respected organization that collects and sells data on cross-platform statistics) 90.7% of all desktops in the world are running either WindowsXP, Vista or Windows7. Keep in mind that doesn't include any of the server OSs or legacy systems still running Windows2000 or even Windows95. Macs only account for 4.39% of the world's desktops (that's Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6. If you were a hacker which would you program for? Affect 90% or 4%? Yeah. (OS market share)

Also, this whole issue of Macs not getting viruses is a myth. Here's an example of one documented on Sophos' website (OSX/Leap-A Macintosh worm (CME-4, MacOS/Leap, MacOS/Leap!tgz, OSX.Leap.A, OSX/Leap) - Sophos security analysis) For those that are unfamiliar with Sophos they are a premier antivirus software company (more reliable than Symantec). That particular virus is the root of many other viruses and is similar to the windows viruses you mentioned assembled by script kiddies.

When it comes down to it, a lot of Mac users don't even use anti-virus software. So unless they got a really nasty virus that deleted their hard drive, they wouldn't even know it. Many viruses are simply trojans that run silent processes on your hardware - unknown to you. But I suppose, unless it disrupts the Mac user's use of their system, then it's OK. Yeah, right.

On a slightly different tack: if Macs don't get viruses, how come the Apple website recommends running antivirus software on every Mac? (Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Protecting your computer from harmful applications)

For those that are gonna bring up Linux and Unix as being "more secure" and "don't get viruses": think again. Here's a few from 2005 (LXer: FeriCyde Chat: The Linux Virus Threat List for 2005, and I'm sure there are more now. That's one thing you can rely on in the world of computer security - the number of potential vulnerabilities is always growing.

I don't want to sound like a jerk here, but I'm a IT professional with over 20 years of experience. I have a degree in Information Technology and Networking, which included courses on computer security and operating systems. When you get right down to it, the differences between operating systems (Windows / Mac OS / Linux / etc) are growing smaller everyday. This largely stems from a unified set of user needs that crosses every platform. There is also a lot of cross-platform hardware sharing. You can find Unix-based code within just about every operating system on the market today. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are the same. They're not. But the underlying logic is similar enough across the platforms that hackers can use the same logic to hack any system. The only things that change are the unique system vulnerabilities and the tools created to exploit them. Those change almost daily.

So, in short, I'm really tired of hearing people tout Macs and Linux platforms as the end-all-be-all solution to the world's computing woes. They're not. They're just another platform, with more or less the same potential vulnerabilities.The biggest vulnerability ANY system has is the user using the system. Do you know how many times I've seen people answer spam phishing emails and include their username, password, address, phone number, and occasionally social security number? It's insane!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Forum Regular

I work in I/T. 90% of my job is removing trojans and adware/spyware. I use AVG Free, Mawarebytes Anti-Malware, ComboFix, Ccleaner and Spybot Search and Destroy. I charge people way less than any chain places. I will clean a machine for $40.00. If most people would just search the net, they would see they can fix it themselves.
As far as Mac goes, I think they might make a good night light or something. I personally will never own one.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by tom2112
Well, Lesr, I didn't want to reply to this without some hard facts. I hate it when people make up numbers and stats just to sound intelligent.

I apologize if I came across as being pompous. I had simply wanted to point out a different way of looking at a situation for the standard " Mac's have no market share"

Anyway, there's one very simple reason why the lion's share of viruses are Windows specific. Again, I will bring up market share. According to NetMarketshare (a respected organization that collects and sells data on cross-platform statistics) 90.7% of all desktops in the world are running either WindowsXP, Vista or Windows7. Keep in mind that doesn't include any of the server OSs or legacy systems still running Windows2000 or even Windows95. Macs only account for 4.39% of the world's desktops (that's Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6. If you were a hacker which would you program for? Affect 90% or 4%? Yeah. (OS market share)

I do not disagree with the numbers given. I have just a different way of looking at this. These numbers show Mac OS's that have been out since 2007 10.5 and 10.6 - Vs - XP, Vista & 7 that have been out since 2001 [A bit of a difference.] As well my main point was that a number of Windows based computers are used for tasks that I personally do not think of as being all round computer use such as used as a cash register. I had seen a number several months ago that indicated this amounted to some 47 - 48 % of the total number in service as these units tend to stay in service for a long time. I did not take the time to look this up at the time and sorry to say can not find it now. My way of looking at this would say that only looking at day to day computer users - the me and you - the percentage of Mac users go up from the numbers shown.

Also, this whole issue of Macs not getting viruses is a myth. Here's an example of one documented on Sophos' website (OSX/Leap-A Macintosh worm (CME-4, MacOS/Leap, MacOS/Leap!tgz, OSX.Leap.A, OSX/Leap) - Sophos security analysis) For those that are unfamiliar with Sophos they are a premier antivirus software company (more reliable than Symantec).

Yes there are "proof of concept viruses" - I agree with you - they are a very small % and tend to not affect the me and you computers.

That particular virus is the root of many other viruses and is similar to the windows viruses you mentioned assembled by script kiddies.

When it comes down to it, a lot of Mac users don't even use anti-virus software. So unless they got a really nasty virus that deleted their hard drive, they wouldn't even know it. Many viruses are simply trojans that run silent processes on your hardware - unknown to you. But I suppose, unless it disrupts the Mac user's use of their system, then it's OK. Yeah, right.

While I certainly do not know every thing I have never come across a Mac Virus nor trojan in all of the units I have serviced nor have I hear of one from any of my fellow tecks that service Mac's

On a slightly different tack: if Macs don't get viruses, how come the Apple website recommends running antivirus software on every Mac? (Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Protecting your computer from harmful applications)

It would be a very poor computer company that did not recommend this. We all know that viruses will come to the Mac [ All compters ] if not today then some time

For those that are gonna bring up Linux and Unix as being "more secure" and "don't get viruses": think again. Here's a few from 2005 (LXer: FeriCyde Chat: The Linux Virus Threat List for 2005, and I'm sure there are more now. That's one thing you can rely on in the world of computer security - the number of potential vulnerabilities is always growing.

I don't want to sound like a jerk here, but I'm a IT professional with over 20 years of experience. I have a degree in Information Technology and Networking, which included courses on computer security and operating systems. When you get right down to it, the differences between operating systems (Windows / Mac OS / Linux / etc) are growing smaller everyday. This largely stems from a unified set of user needs that crosses every platform. There is also a lot of cross-platform hardware sharing. You can find Unix-based code within just about every operating system on the market today. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are the same. They're not. But the underlying logic is similar enough across the platforms that hackers can use the same logic to hack any system. The only things that change are the unique system vulnerabilities and the tools created to exploit them. Those change almost daily.

So, in short, I'm really tired of hearing people tout Macs and Linux platforms as the end-all-be-all solution to the world's computing woes. They're not. They're just another platform, with more or less the same potential vulnerabilities.The biggest vulnerability ANY system has is the user using the system. Do you know how many times I've seen people answer spam phishing emails and include their username, password, address, phone number, and occasionally social security number? It's insane!
I agree with you.

Last edited by lesr; 04-28-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: @%#$^%#^ Spyware... I'm getting a MAC.