General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Garage Flooring Opinions

Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Flooring Opinions

OK, I have remodeled practically the ENTIRE house, given my wife the kitchen she wanted, and now it is my turn for the garage. YEAY ME!!! I have looked on here for a thread relating to garage flooring, but havent found any real feedback on it.

I am wondering what type of flooring some of you guys may have in your garages, and how the maintenance and durability might be. My crossfire sits in the garage undriven in the winter time, but my wifes car gets the dirty snow and slush melting onto the floor. I do not have a floor drain, so I am concerned about the interlocking tiles mildewing underneath, or if the mats might do the same. Painting is an option, but I have encountered many garages with painted floors that have tire track patches missing from a car that has sat maybe a little too long in one spot.

Being able to use a jack or stand is also a must, since I do all of my own work and maintenance, and a creeper is handy when replacing something under the jeep. I don't want a garagemahal, but I do want it to look nice and be easy to clean.

Anyone have any suggestions or testimonials?

-Dave

Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Garage Flooring Opinions

I have painted the floors in my last 2 garages with the RustOleum epoxy paint with great results. It is very durable - I have spilled numerous chemicals on it without incident, it has never stuck to any tires and it is very tough to scratch. It is also easy to clean - when I lived in NY, they used ash mixed in with the road salt. This concoction would get deposited in my garage all winter, making quite a mess. In the spring, I would break out the pressure washer and clean the floor - it would end up looking like new. I got one of those floor squeegees to get the water out after washing. Oil, paint, etc. spills wipe right up with no staining. You know how you can sweep a bare concrete floor 50 times and still get some dust each time? With this stuff, you can sweep the floor once and it is clean.

The key to a tough finish is: 1 - make sure you prepare the concrete according to the instructions before applying the paint, rinsing it completely and 2 - make sure you let the paint cure sufficiently before driving on it.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Forum Regular

I will second that...going on 8 years with the RustO product....only thing is where the wifes tracks are its starting to look a lil dull not so shiny after moping it clean.
I guess the road salt here is tougher...I live in plainfield,il.

Still looks great and I always get compliments on it.

I will say this there are a few chips here and there from dropping tools..But I don't think anything is chip proof.

Lot easier to use a creeper on painted floor then tile or vinyl roll out mats.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I used the RustOleum epoxy paint as well, and am very pleased with the results. It's been three years since I put it down and it's held up very well. Oil and fluid leaks clean up very easily.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 PM

Now is this the one with the flakes on top?
I have seen a couple of those, and they look pretty good.

-Dave

Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DBLewis
Now is this the one with the flakes on top?
I have seen a couple of those, and they look pretty good.

-Dave

That's the one...

Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm considering tile

Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by FP
I'm considering tile

What....... let me guess, you only need 2 tiles from the California Car Cover catalog.

1 for each foot.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Life is random...so am I.

I used the epoxy system from UCoat-it. Couldn't be happier.

I've dropped hammers, etchant acid from work, chunks of metal, and even welded on top of it....... still looks brand new.

UCoat It Do-it Yourself Floor Coatings for a Durable, Protective Finish

Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FP
I'm considering tile
Not a bad idea - properly installed tile is as tough as the substrate it is applied over. Two things to make sure of: 1) do a really good job of ensuring that the adhesive contacts the backs of all the tiles completely - no air pockets. If there are any air pockets, the weight of the car or dropped tools will crack the tiles easily. 2) use an epoxy grout like SpectraLOCK from Laticrete. This stuff is much more expensive and difficult to put on than standard grout, but it will not stain and is much tougher. I've used it in kitchens and bathrooms with great success. My wife and daughters have even spilled hair coloring on it and it just wipes off.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by FP
I'm considering tile

I have been to several homes that have had tiled garages. I think one guy told me it was a porcelain tile instead of ceramic for durability... don't know if this is right or not, but it looked GOOD!

-Dave

Old 09-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DBLewis
I have been to several homes that have had tiled garages. I think one guy told me it was a porcelain tile instead of ceramic for durability... don't know if this is right or not, but it looked GOOD!

-Dave
I think FP is referring to garage floor tile systems such as Racedeck: Garage Flooring, Garage Tiles, Garage Floors, Garage Floor Mats, Modular Garage Flooring | Buy RaceDeck

I've been contemplating the same.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ing-shots.html

Last edited by InfernoRedXfire; 09-03-2010 at 08:01 PM.