General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

The hardest post I've ever had to make...

Old 09-21-2010, 08:16 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: The hardest post I've ever had to make...

Trader.... JK.

Congrats on the R/T. Good choice. I'm not going to say I'll miss you, cause I know I will still see you around my friend.

Best wishes on the new ride...

Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm so sorry to read the news Steve. I've always enjoyed reading your post and had hoped to meet you in person one day. I hope you'll keep your word and not be a stranger here. Enjoy the new ride and be well my friend.

~ Dan

Old 09-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 538 Likes on 366 Posts

I still miss the Avatar that spent so many hours waxing FP's Crossie.

Amazing shine on that black roadster eh?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I still miss the Avatar that spent so many hours waxing FP's Crossie.

Amazing shine on that black roadster eh?
I remember that one too. Best of luck with the new ride. I am sure we will continue to hear from you.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK Steve, everybody's being so PC, I'm going to be straight up with ya. It's the least I can do for a friend, and besides, you wouldn't respect me if I didn't.
WHAT ARE YOU NUTS OR SOMETHING!! How could you be such a selfish *****, to come to this forum and bestow upon us fellow forum members your wit and wisdom for all these years, only to pop in on a whim to say "It's been fun, but I gotta go".
Who in their right mind buys a brand new Challenger and drives it to a barn and parks it, then turns around and buys another one to drive. Don't you know your supposed to do that with an SRT6 for crying out loud.
You're going to be driving that new Challenger down the road one morning and suddenly it will hit you like a Ton of bricks. "I could have had a V10 for what I paid for this thing"........Mine.
We still love ya.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll miss your crazy, sometimes creepy avatars....Really, good luck with the new Challenger. I love the looks of them - it's 1970 all over again! Just goes to show you that a great design can be timeless!!

Old 09-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with R/T Steve...

Hope it brings as much enjoyment as the SSB Roadster did...

Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Wow....... let me start by saying this is absolutely the BEST group of people on the whole internet. I could never stay away from this site for too long, hell, some of you seem like family to me! I've had 2 days in the Chally so far and the thing I miss most isn't the car as much as it is the awesome people who make up this forum! You guys totally rock!!!

Having said that, I suppose I should explain further why the car change. There's many reasons, I'm sure most of you can identify with at least a few. A lot of the smaller things are made up of those things that sit in the back of your mind and slowly creep up once in a while. The 3 biggest reasons are (in no particular order):

1. Warranty expires in a few hundred miles. Not a big issue for many of you, but mine's a daily driver in Michigan (better roads can be found in Baghdad), and I drive a LOT for my job. I haven't been exactly gentle with my car, but I haven't beat on it either. With the price of parts and service, not to mention that a clutch is probably in the near future, it just seemed like a good idea.

2. I'm absolutely sick and tired of buying wheels for that damn car!!!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure I've had to replace all 4 wheels every year I've had it. That's not tires......... WHEELS! If none of you have ever had the pleasure of driving your car on destroyed roads I suggest you price out a new wheel for your car, much less ALL 4!

3. I suppose after 11 months of dating my girlfriend is getting pretty anxious for some sort of proposal. I really don't see trying to stuff 12, 9, and 7 year old kids in the trunk as a viable option.

Honestly, if it was financially viable, I'd have kept the car in a heartbeat. It truly is the best car I've ever owned! Not too many cars can lay claim to 80,000 miles without ANY type of mechanical problem.....my Crossfire certainly did.

Now on to the new....the Challenger. I ended up with a metallic black R/T with the 5.7l automatic. I can tell you that it certainly moves..... I've only turned traction control off one time...... I turned it right back on! I'll post pictures sometime soon...... I'm still having too much fun driving it.

As far as comparisons go, I'll do my best to try to sum up the differences......

INTERIOR~ For my 6'4" frame, the Challenger is a much better fit. Plenty of leg and head room without the feeling of being cramped, something I always felt in the Cross, just never was particularly concerned about. I think the biggest benefit other than the space is the 2 LIGHTED CUPHOLDERS!

EXTERIOR~ This works out to be a wash. Much like the Crossfire, people either love or hate the Challenger. Personally, I think they are both awesome looking cars.

MECHANICAL~ Here's where things get good. The Crossfire was much more nimble feeling wheras the Chally is more "lumbering" if you get what I mean. On the flip side of that coin the Challenger is wayyyyy more comfortable just cruising down the road... I could feel if I ran over an earthworm in the Crossfire. The brakes take a little longer to stop the car, much to be expected when you're trying to haul to a stop an extra 1000 pounds. They are not bad by any means....... I'm just not going to out-brake a Crossfire. The acceleration...... no comparison! Unlike the Crossfire, the Challenger actually has a useful traction control system. In the Cross, whenever the car felt wheelspin it shut everything off and bogged down bad. In the Chally, you stomp on it and you just GO with the sound of a hundred little wheel "chirps". If you turn off the TCS in the Challenger it just proves that you hate Goodyear's! There's about 100' of Goodyear sitting in the work parking lot right now.

In the end, I got another awesome car, with a warranty, MUCH cheaper parts, and a HUGE aftermarket. Right now I really couldn't be happier. I can only hope that someday I can knock the Crossfire down to the SECOND best car I've ever owned.

JHM2K..... you're right..... I do have a SRT8. I bought that car as a long term investment. It's one of the first 100 serial numbered SRT8 Challengers. It has been sitting in storage up north and DEFINITELY is not a daily driver. There's actually less than 800 miles on it. The way I see it, in 25 years I'll either have a good investment, or a really cool old car with low miles.

Rob........ The car went to Golling on Telegraph @ Square Lake. Definitely let me know when the next track day is! I might be able to convince a buddy with a new Camaro to show up and bring his friend with a new Mustang 5.0.

J-Marc... you are just jealous because I have a more proper machine for going "slideways" in front of the cops! Besides..... now on drag race days it's an even fight.... automatic vs. automatic!

Again, you guys are the BEST! I promise I won't be a stranger around here. There's no way I could stay away for too long. You'll still see me around. Heck......maybe I'll even find another good avatar to put up on here!

Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I knew there was a "woman" in there somewhere.....lol.......good luck buddy....just show up when I come to town so we can party.....I won't pick on your new boat anchor.....

Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I won't pick on your new boat anchor.....

Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve, is this the young Lady Gene and I met outside the Chrysler Museum? Then, I'd have no problem switching to something with a back seat.
Congrats.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are a lucky man . I'll look out for you on Barrett Jackson 2035 with that srt8.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
You are a lucky man . I'll look out for you on Barrett Jackson 2035 with that srt8.
My SRT-6 roadster will be right in front of it.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Congrats on the purchase. You will soon have buyer's remorse and have another XF in the stable. We'll be here for you.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 527 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Steve, is this the young Lady Gene and I met outside the Chrysler Museum?
Then, I'd have no problem switching to something with a back seat.
Congrats.
DITTO ON THAT !!!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on the new ride but be prepared for what comes next. Every time you see a Crossfire, you'll wish you still had yours. Make sure you stop in from time to time to say "Hi" and if you wouldn't mind, please donate your avatar collection to charity as it's priceless.

Take care,

Rudy

Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Didn't take the dealership long.........

Used 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Limited For Sale | Troy, Royal Oak & Southfield - Bloomfield Hills MI

Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 PM

3. I suppose after 11 months of dating my girlfriend is getting pretty anxious for some sort of proposal. I really don't see trying to stuff 12, 9, and 7 year old kids in the trunk as a viable option.

I can think of some kids I'd enjoy cramming into my trunk
Enjoy your leg room and cup holders

Old 09-23-2010, 09:13 PM

Congrats on the new car! I intend to buy a new and larger convertible, next year, but I will always keep my baby! I so much like having a convertible car, I don't want anything else. AND, I love this forum. I spend hours reading and seldom post.....this is an awesome group of people....so stick around!