General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Hey Jsisabella -

Old 04-07-2004, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Jsisabella -

jsisabella said:
"When I leave Ohio, it is for the FL Keys, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Belieze, Cozumel, or Bonaire. Scuba diving heaven not too far away..... "

:shock: Sorry - I just could not resist. Bet I've been a Certified SCUBA Diver longer than you have :!: :?: :lol: :wink:

Old 04-07-2004, 07:46 AM
Forum Regular

OK - here goes:

I started diving in 1967 at age 14 with my older brother. No C-Cards back then. My first used wetsuit cost $10.00. For Christmas, I got my first tank and reg. It was an AMF-Voit, that my dad was able to buy through a friend that owned an AMF bowling alley. It cost $89.00!!!! My brother got his gear though the Sears catalog! Most of my personal gear now is ScubaPRO.

What is even more funny, is that I still have that original 71.2 cu ft steel tank. It passed hydro again last year....

Our scuba shop decided to make everyone take a test to get a C-Card in 1971 - NASDS. Since then, Advanced - SSI, Master Diver - NAUI, Rescue Diver - NAUI, Instructor - NAUI.

I am approaching 1000 logged dives, and probably have 200-300 not logged from the old days.....

So what is your story?

:lol:

Old 04-07-2004, 08:28 AM

Whoa! That really takes me back...Sears scuba tank...hehehe. Those were the days. No C card...no nothing. I can remember guys that filled my tank and didn't put it in water back then. Oh memory lane

Old 04-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Forum Regular

I used to have a buddy at the local fire station that would get me a fill, if I needed one quick....

Actually there is controversy now that debates the water cooling method while tank filling. The debate is that the fill whips are getting wet, and that forces a few drops of water into the tank, causing rust/oxidation to form inside the tank. They feel it would just be better to fill the tanks more slowly with no water.

At the rate some of these shops fill the tanks, they should be using ice water!!!!!

I have hauled a few tanks in my Crossfire, so I guess it is still OK to post this on this forum?!?!?

Old 04-07-2004, 08:42 PM

:lol: My Goodness - I have to say you remember more details than I do. But here is what I do remember ... Back in the very early 60's Mel Fisher owned a little diving shop close to our house (the shop was in Redondo, CA). My Dad used to dive all the time and got all his equipment from Mel. They they came out with certification requirements in the County of Los Angeles. Mel automatically certified Dad because he knew my Dad knew as much about diving as he did. Then, in October 1964, I decided I wanted to be certified, so I took the course and got my card. (Still have the card, it is dated 10/8/64!!!) I have no memory at all what my wet suit cost - but I do remember that it was handmade by Mel, just as my Dad's was. The cost didn't matter to me - I was just a kid and "Dad paid for it"!! I know that wet suit was tiny though!

As I'm sure jsisabella recognizes the name Mel Fisher, it is interesting that I also remember him deciding to sell his shop and go on a treasure hunt (which seemed like a wild dream to me). Little did we think he would find the Atocha :shock:

Sadly, I got a perforated ear drum and stopped enjoying the dives. When we travel now, my husband enjoys snorkeling and I do too sometimes. But usually, I just sit on the boat and take pictures!

Whew - that was a long story!!

But ... I did get certified before you did :wink:

Old 04-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Forum Regular

I got to meet Mel once in the Keys about 10 years ago - quite a character!!

Good story.... The C-Card idea started in LA County with the YMCA. The founders of NAUI worked on that project, and it was a really good idea.

Too bad about your ears. The diving is still great!

Old 04-07-2004, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by jsisabella
C-Card idea started in LA County with the YMCA. The founders of NAUI worked on that project, and it was a really good idea.
I had no idea that's where the card started. So ... maybe I was one of the "first" ones to get certified!! :shock:

Yikes!! That just makes me feel older ops: :wink:

Old 04-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Forum Regular

You were within the first 5 years of the cards being issued.....

Don't feel old - just experienced!!!!!

:-)

Old 04-08-2004, 02:24 PM

:wink: