General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Should i show up?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i show up?

ok so here is the story i was on the way home from the dragon and i was coming down 26 on a section about 2 miles long doing 80 in a 65 in a caravan with people i did not know. I was in the middle and of course the cop pulls only me any ways i pull over and he gives me a ticket for 80 in a 65 and following to close for a grand total 223 dollars I told him i was on the way home to take care of my grandfather because he was in the hospital which he is. He told me to bring papers to the court house on my court date and they might help me out. The court house is 2 hours away from where i live so im trying to decide if it is worth it or not? does anyone have any experience with this?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Should i show up?

See if they offer deferred adjudication and take that if they do.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
See if they offer deferred adjudication and take that if they do.
i guess that i could call and find out

Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Three times in the last 7 (or so) years I got speeding tickets (2 in the XF) in various jurisdictions. In all cases I went to the location directed on the date and time so requested and admitted I screwed up and asked for a break. In every case I was lowered to the least (court cost) and that was a huge savings of $. I suggest you bring your paperwork showing dad in the hospital, you might get it torn up or drastically reduced based on your honesty and the good will of the court. Just my honest opinion and past three tickets experience (The biggest one was 82 in a 60 written as 69 in a 60. The 82 in a 60 would have cost almost 300!) then at the courthouse, I asked the trooper if there was any way I could save any of the 89 (round number) bucks and she knocked it down to 30 court costs. The ticket still got on my record but it cost only 30 bucks and the insurance agency report (as usual). In all three cases, I got quite a break just by being honest, and asking afterwards if it could be less expensive. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't lead in with "Everyone else was speeding and I got the ticket"... Maybe concerned about grand father and was going with the flow of traffic you were in and didn't realize they were going that fast..

The old "if they jumped off a bridge" thing could be in the Judges mind.. LOL

Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Forum Regular

yeah my plan was to say that i knew i needed to get back to take care of my grandfather and i made a momentary lapse of judgment and it wont happen again. So defiantly no excuses or saying i had right to speed because he was in the hospital.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the double pull over once... was chasing a girl in a Scion and the cop waved me over and pulled her over.. I asked him to give her my number but I'm pretty sure he didn't... but on the bright side, I went to court and got it reduced down to the minimum and ended up hitting it off pretty well with a different girl there

Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Maybe concerned about grand father and was going with the flow of traffic you were in and didn't realize they were going that fast..
Get a pissy Judge on a hot, nasty day and that could lead to another ticket for inattentive driving.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by witchal
Get a pissy Judge on a hot, nasty day and that could lead to another ticket for inattentive driving.
And contempt of court with 30 days if you say "but your honer" and look enough like the guy that got his daughter pregnant and skipped out..

I'd take my chances with paying attention to traffic and not the speedometer..

Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata

I'd take my chances with paying attention to traffic and not the speedometer..
The best way to drive in my opinion

Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
The best way to drive in my opinion
And a subtle way of telling the judge "your the one" that got pulled over out of several cars doing the same speed.. Here in Oklahoma they know how to pull 3-4 over in one whack...

Saves fuel and increases revenue!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I;m not sure how it may be in NC , But if you go to see the Big Boy in court , it you did or you did not , kind ? if did not ,then it another trip back to see the BIG BOY in court ,to tell your story , Been there done that just decided to pay the Ticket and do some school work , Hope it all work out for you

Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Guilty with Mitigating Factors would probably be the way I would go.. Pissy mood judge.. fined and out the door.
Feeling good about his day "well son.. tell me about this"... reduced fine or dismissed and out the door..
No "round 2" chance..

Better idea's guys?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by rayth
I got the double pull over once... was chasing a girl in a Scion and the cop waved me over and pulled her over.. I asked him to give her my number but I'm pretty sure he didn't... but on the bright side, I went to court and got it reduced down to the minimum and ended up hitting it off pretty well with a different girl there
Is that what they call speed dating?

Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Always appear. State your side of it whatever it is. 50/50 it will get reduced when you appear. 0 when you don't. You are running in a pack. He picks you out of the middle. You had to have done something to attract his attn. it's like taking the rear car and not the lead car. Speeding is speeding. I will get the lead car the next time. Not fair? Speeding is speeding can't stop them all. Plead your case. Be professional, be polite. Maybe the officer will be there maybe they won't. Judge will make the call based on your demeanor and your evidence presented. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Always appear. State your side of it whatever it is. 50/50 it will get reduced when you appear. 0 when you don't. You are running in a pack. He picks you out of the middle. You had to have done something to attract his attn. it's like taking the rear car and not the lead car. Speeding is speeding. I will get the lead car the next time. Not fair? Speeding is speeding can't stop them all. Plead your case. Be professional, be polite. Maybe the officer will be there maybe they won't. Judge will make the call based on your demeanor and your evidence presented. Good luck.

And this man just gave you the best shot with advice you could get..

Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks im gonna go with this dress nice and be polite and dont make excuses!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 480 Likes on 333 Posts

And this man is law enforcement so his advice is probably good to follow

Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I fully agree with Doc.
I was pulled in Virginia for 80 in a 55. I appeared before the judge, apologized for my lapse in judgement since I was staying in the flow and not watching my speedometer. Judge asked for officers statement and the officer was not there. Very nice Judge threw it out since the ticketing officer was not present. As I thanked the Judge he laughed and told me that my Father raced on the track not the highway and I should follow his lead not the other drivers...My jaw dropped....he had grown up with my Father.
Good luck and remember honesty and humility are always the best approach.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Three times in the last 7 (or so) years I got speeding tickets (2 in the XF) in various jurisdictions. In all cases I went to the location directed on the date and time so requested and admitted I screwed up and asked for a break. In every case I was lowered to the least (court cost) and that was a huge savings of $. I suggest you bring your paperwork showing dad in the hospital, you might get it torn up or drastically reduced based on your honesty and the good will of the court. Just my honest opinion and past three tickets experience (The biggest one was 82 in a 60 written as 69 in a 60. The 82 in a 60 would have cost almost 300!) then at the courthouse, I asked the trooper if there was any way I could save any of the 89 (round number) bucks and she knocked it down to 30 court costs. The ticket still got on my record but it cost only 30 bucks and the insurance agency report (as usual). In all three cases, I got quite a break just by being honest, and asking afterwards if it could be less expensive. Good luck!
same here when i get caught here in pa, ny, and nj i ask for a reduced fine they give it to me and they drop the points, i dunno how it is in the south but up here easley all they care about is the money they dont care if your safe or the speed you go just as long as they get some cash out of you, i would plead guilty but ask for a reduction...they can re-write the ticket for a lesser fine and offense for you 9 chances out of 10...

Originally Posted by Easley15
Thanks im gonna go with this dress nice and be polite and dont make excuses!
i misread this at first i thought you said you were gonna wear a dress DONT DO THAT!!!

Last edited by xfireon20z; 04-11-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Should i show up?