General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Forums

Old 05-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Forums

Will freely admit am a gearhead (though had to hide in the 80's) and it is interesting how the atmosphere is different in different forums.

Most Marque forums are for people keeping orphans alive by sharing information. Others are more social and have little interest in how the cars actually work.

Some time ago I decided that I wanted a retractible. No more cloth tops for me. My first thought was a Caddy XLR but had three disincentives: a V8 (I prefer a 3-4 liter 6, ideally DOHC), forum more of a social media than technical, and prices are still north of U$20k for a nice one.

Then there was a hiatus while I played with a rescue '93 GTP with DOHC 6 and a Getrag. That has since gone to a new owner which opened a slot in the garage (I have a vow - no more cars than can fit in the garage).

Not sure why but started looking at Merc SLKs. Retractible, DOHC 6, and about 10% with 6 speeds. But the same six speed as my XF with silly low. Since also 250 lbs heavier is was to be a cruiser and not an autocross car. Best yet prices from private parties for an '06-'07 has dropped under U$10k (at least in Central Florida where there are a Whole Bunch). Also are free web sites where you can see both the full history and the "as built" option mix.

After looking at several dozen (see Whole Bunch) I found one that was Not Black (one of my criteria) and a tad over 100k miles (for price and gets past the balance shaft gear danger zone).

So now have all three generations of Mercedes V6: SOHC in Crossfire which perversely is an '07), DOHC 90 degree in '06 Merc, and DOHC 60 degree in Jeep.

Point thought is that over on the Merc SLK forum, over half the posts are people on "Howdy Duty" (biggest section is new members) and technical questions (like what is the proper aiming height for the low bean headlamps) languish. Have a better chance of getting technical answers here.

Does seem a bit odd but there you are. Of course the SLK forum is based in Canada which may be part of it but interestingly any mention of my XF (R170 clone) is Right Out.

Just feel more at home here.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: Forums

Does seem a bit odd but there you are. Of course the SLK forum is based in Canada which may be part of it but interestingly any mention of my XF (R170 clone) is Right Out.

Just feel more at home here.
I think you went to the Canada forum on SLKWorld.com
So you think Canadians are odd? Not technically inclined, a bunch of Doug and Bobs drinking beer in the snow. You be surprised what we think of you.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:27 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Are you kidding ? Red Green is my hero !

Old 05-24-2017, 02:40 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Are you kidding ? Red Green is my hero !
That was a show that started on a local station, got cancelled. When the uproar had finished it was picked up and they ended up making 299 episodes. It was a staple of the PBS networks, Red Green appeared on many drives to make money for the stations and apparently he was in demand as they made more money with him on the show than anyone else.
Duct tape became a TV star in its own right.
Harold is actually a serious actor, and a good one at that.
I have a roll of duct tape signed by Red himself.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

It was a WONDERFUL show that was funny AND managed to not be offensive in any way. And I saw a few others from that show in movies and on TV a time or two.

You people also sent us another treasure....

These guys...
(Very interesting how their skit pictured below got started.)

Then there was this gift to the world....