General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Car transport

Old 04-23-2021, 11:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car transport

Crazy business it seems. Any advice or recommendations on transporting cars? How do you sort out the good from the bad?

Old 04-23-2021, 11:37 PM
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts
Default Re: Car transport

I don't. The last two Crossfires that I've had, I bought a one-way plane ticket and drove them home. (One was a 2200 mile trip - took my girlfriend with me - broke up with her the next week - I learned a lot about her in four days.)

The following users liked this post:
nation99 (04-24-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 11:55 PM
Received 510 Likes on 352 Posts

It usually costs more to do it yourself. But I enjoy the experience of going somewhere distance and driving the car home. Closest thing I get to a vacation anymore. Last month we went to Beloit WI and picked up a 97 Dodge one ton. Great trip with a stop at Starved rack in Ottawa IL.

I love doing these pick up trips. However, I recently had a car shipped from Florida. Cost me and the wife $700 bucks or so to go get it but required three days of travel. However, it was delivered for $600. An honest professional carrier with a 9 car unit. Saved me a lot of time.

That said, I'm leaving in a week for Eastern PA to pick up a machine. Two days there and one day back. The boss has plans to sight see and perhaps visit a vendor in Philly.
Call me crazy but I like to travel.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nation99
Crazy business it seems. Any advice or recommendations on transporting cars? How do you sort out the good from the bad?
Agreed, it is a crazy business. I had my Crossfire brought up from FL to MI in February. Based upon online reviews (https://www.consumeraffairs.com), I contracted with EShip. But like many service providers, they are just a broker. EShip hired Direct Motor Lines out of IL. Overall, I had good service and good results. However, it is really the luck of the draw when it comes to the trucking company (when you use a broker). And, if you are in need of delivery on a certain date/time, you need to make other arrangements.

I was pretty confident that the vehicle seller was honest and candid. Vehicle shipping was clearly my biggest concern with my SRT6 purchase.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:52 AM

I just left a message for Direct Motor Lines. We'll see if they return my call. Seems like it's a bit easier to transport from the south. Mine is coming from Montana. I'd like to avoid the brokers if I can as that seems to be where most of the problems are.

Where in MI are you? I'm a yooper. Looking forward to being a xf owner.

Thanks for the reply, Dave

Old 04-24-2021, 09:56 AM

I like to travel too and would be more inclined to to that. However, we drove 3 days on our way back north from FL just a few weeks ago and are leaving on a 10 road trip in a week, so taking another 2+ day drive is not so appealing right now. Thanks for the feedback, Dave

Old 04-24-2021, 02:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nation99
I just left a message for Direct Motor Lines. We'll see if they return my call. Seems like it's a bit easier to transport from the south. Mine is coming from Montana. I'd like to avoid the brokers if I can as that seems to be where most of the problems are.

Where in MI are you? I'm a yooper. Looking forward to being a xf owner.

Thanks for the reply, Dave
I am located in metro Detroit (Canton). We just love the U.P. Can't wait to get back to Manistique in July!