Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Improved Cup Holders

Old 04-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improved Cup Holders

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, but I have heard from various people that the cup holders in these cars are not practical. I have a carbon fiber business and if someone was to give me a part where they want a cup holder to be installed, i.e.: center consol, I could make a carbon fiber part with integegrated cup holders. If anyone is interested in anything like this or other kinds of modifications, please look us up.

Ric R.
www.carbonfibersolutions.net

Old 04-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Improved Cup Holders

Great idea. If you can get access to a SLK230, I believe their cupholders pull out of the dash. Maybe you can make a mod like that. However, that might be a mod that's more $ than it's worth.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow thank you for your interest in the crossfire. we do need something made up for a better cupholder. as far as what.. i am unsure. maybe if we can get some people to generate some idea we can come up with something very nice. the slks is incorporated into the dash above the center vents as far ar making a carbon fiber piece i dont see it working very well. we would have to cut into the dash to put it in or an entire dash would have to be made and we could lose the passenger airbag and im pretty sure alot of people are not willing to lose the airbag for a cupholder but i could be wrong

Old 04-27-2008, 06:37 PM

theres a carbon fiber hood thread in the exterior section that you might be able to help us with if you are interested. there are some very good ideas flowing in there

Old 04-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Forum Regular

I like my cupholder in my slk 280, but turning it into a drawer

Old 04-27-2008, 06:52 PM

yeah i have a slk350 and the slk 32 and both those cupholders i like and since all i drink is water out of a bottle i dont worry about getting the radio all sticky with pop

Old 04-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I am probably the most adamatley against a cup holder person in a sports car there is. I would be very concerned about putting a cup holder over the radio/cd player.

That said, I have to admit that the thought has crossed my mind. On the dash, on either side, could one be mounted in front of the vent attached in the gap between the door and the dashboard? It would clear the steering wheel for the driver and not interfere with a maunal shift. It would also clear the knees unlike a door mounted one you can buy for older Benzes. (I have these in my 300 SDL and spill coffee everytime I close the door.)

Very little modification would be required to mount it to the side of the dash and any holes or screws would not be visible. I wouldnt buy one for my Xfire but would love something in my Benz.

Just a thought.

roadster with a stick.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:22 PM

oh i like those ideas! yeah lets keep em coming guys we have a chance to get a better cup holder in our cars!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:09 AM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Good luck man, I for one though don't mind the cupholder I have now. [shrug]

Old 04-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Forum Regular

Great idea! It would be worth your while money wise. You would get a lot of orders from this forum and also you could market them on Ebay. Count me in.

Last edited by chuck65; 04-28-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the most realistic place is the flip up console, I guess you could make a part that just drops in there, now that would be cool. I really never use the center console for anything myself but when at a drive through thats where the soda goes

Originally Posted by ric.cfs
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, but I have heard from various people that the cup holders in these cars are not practical. I have a carbon fiber business and if someone was to give me a part where they want a cup holder to be installed, i.e.: center consol, I could make a carbon fiber part with integegrated cup holders. If anyone is interested in anything like this or other kinds of modifications, please look us up.

Ric R.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone thing that the cup holder can be cut out and a regular round cup holder put in it's place? It would still stick up a little but not as much as the factory one.

I was brainstorming the other day cause mine broke. Just a thought. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:18 PM

there is no way that the cupholder would be wider than the center part that the current cupholder is. i thought about it as well

Old 04-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voyager
there is no way that the cupholder would be wider than the center part that the current cupholder is. i thought about it as well
Yeah i looked at again with a water bottle. I was thinking how much work it would be and how it would intrude on the passengers side. Sucks.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Smile Re: Improved Cup Holders

What i want to do for a cup holder is use the center consol and take out the change holder and make a cup holder there. I would liek to see more pictures if peopel can post some we can figure out a way to make this work and make it cheep if I get enofgh peopel to buy it.
Ric R

Old 04-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. I don't know how you can improve the stock cup holder. my arm is there when shifting, that is why the better design is a drop in part that is the same inside dimensions as the flip open console. cut out a couple holes in a plate for the drink holder and just let it sit in there, my arm never goes near the rear console durring shifts.

2. otherwise make a drop in part that can convert the glove box into a cup holder.

3. can you make a quality mount for satalite radios? there are no decent mounts available.

4. also a 2 or 3 gauge pod would be nice, I would like to mount an oil pressure, and oil temp gauge, maybe a fuel pressure gauge too

Old 04-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ric.cfs
What i want to do for a cup holder is use the center consol and take out the change holder and make a cup holder there. I would liek to see more pictures if peopel can post some we can figure out a way to make this work and make it cheep if I get enofgh peopel to buy it.
Ric R
Ric,
The problem with this location is that it won't work for manual shifts. I tried the area and anything there interferes with shifting and the radio.I do like the concept of an insert for the glove box. It is a retro idea but likely would work well in so small a cockpit.

Reminds me of my '56 Pontiac Starchief. The glove box was in the center and folded down with two recesses for cups and room for your sandwich.

great idea Maxwell!

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 04-29-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:38 PM

the glove box idea does sound very nice.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Yeah, I like the glove box. It may be a problem for the passenger's legs but my wife is petite and the seat goes far enough back. If I'm by myself, it would work out perfect.

Putting and insert in the console compartment is a simple way to do it. I like that idea also. But it makes the drink hard to reach. Especially if you're a bit portly or old. (sorry guys, had to say it).
The console one could be black and fit inside or match the brushed metal finish and replace the current lid.

Let's keep thinking on this one. I think we are getting somewhere.

roadster with a stick

Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 PM

just to keep ideas flowing maybe something that attaches to the back wall and folds down with some cupholders in it and sits on the console. idk just a thought

Quick Reply: Improved Cup Holders