Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

lower your seat 1 1/2" for $20, easy with pictures

Old 11-14-2015, 06:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: lower your seat 1 1/2" for $20, easy with pictures

I just read through this, and I am considering it myself. My opinion on all the comments about seat mounting strength, and accidents is this. The seat really has nothing to do with safety/holding you in, that is all in the belts, if anything, you hold the seat in.
If I did this, I would use plated hardware, metric sized, just so in the future all hardware would be the same tools needed. And I would put silicone (sealant, not lubricant) in the hole and on each side of the washer underneath the car. I would use the largest washer I could find/fit, on the underside of the car AND on the floor in the car. I would worry about my weight flexing the floor in normal use, more than in a crash, then the belts and air bags do their job.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:24 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, just being odd I wound up raising the seat almost all the way to compensate for the lack of a tilt wheel. But having carved out about 4" from the bulkhead so the seat can recline about 40 degrees, have no lack of headroom. Am only 5'10" though.

Just like to carry the weight of my back on my shoulders and have arms/legs nearly straight out. Is three hours nonstop to Boynton Beach & run down there fairly often.

BTW went to Stuart for the AutoGeek Cars and Coffee ths morning and had Waye Carini sign my detailing book. Quite a gentleman. Gusstimate about 150 cars of all kinds there. Didn't see any Crossies though.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I realize this modification is your own personal preference but it makes no sense to me. Why do you want to sit lower in a car with a relatively high belt line where you already sit very low?

Here's what I did. I raised the seat exactly 1 inch. I made spacers from solid 1x1 aluminum stock pretty simply with holes on the rear spacers that use the OE locating pin and fastener location. The seat tracks needed a new rear fastener hole about 1/4 inch further forward because of the revised geometry. The seat is now about 1/2 inch further forward because of the 45 degree incline of the front fasteners. The front spacers needed a 45 degree angle on the front half half to accommodate the inclined fastener position.

When it's all done I had a much nicer seating position with much better lines of sight out the side windows and windshield, no more "siting in a bathtub" feeling. The ergonomics of my arms to the steering wheel are much improved also. Additionally the seat can go back farther before the seat-back hits the rear bulkhead and there are no issues with headroom.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:29 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

How tall are you Nick?

The following users liked this post:
Dez323 (02-04-2024)
Old 11-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX2 Nick
Why do you want to sit lower in a car with a relatively high belt line where you already sit very low?.
I am 6'½" and about 270lbs. I barely fit and my hair touched the headliner sometimes. I am comfortable, and if I lose some more weight I would be better off. If anyone is heavier, or taller than me, I doubt they could drive in comfort if at all. I don't want to sit lower, just get my head out of the dome of the roof. I have had people ask me "How tall are you?" thinking I am very tall when they see me in it. I wish the drivers seat was as low as the passenger seat, then I would be better off. But I am alright as it is, and if I needed another ½" or more I would do this without doubt.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile Re: lower your seat 1 1/2" for $20, easy with pictures

Originally Posted by JSK
How tall are you Nick?
5 feet 10 inches. The angle of my legs to the pedals is much nicer with the seat higher also. Much lees felling like you're sitting on the floor with legs straight out.

Last edited by ZX2 Nick; 11-18-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Also removing the plastic dead pedal gave me about 3" more legroom and a 3" extension on the seat belt buckle compensated for raising the seat all the way. Wheel is now in the right place and I can rest my arm on the sill. Everything "falls readily to hand".

Of course this only works because I have the seat reclined so far. I did add a 1/2" spacer on the rear of the seat rails so it is more level.