Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Attempting headliner repair

Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Attempting headliner repair

Originally Posted by vinnys
Looks real nice!!!
Thanks. It is a lot of work though but saying that, I didn't give up on the idea of doing some exotic print. I think that I'll look for a CF at Harrys U Pull It and pick up a headliner that I can work on next winter. As it is, it's going to look pretty good.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:10 PM

Not that anyone gives a ______ but here it is, all finished.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001.jpg (1.08 MB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg
002.jpg (1.57 MB, 104 views)
Old 05-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

That's slicker than snot on a glass doorknob !

Old 05-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Congratulations! It looks good, and was a successful project.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Thanks. It is a lot of work though but saying that, I didn't give up on the idea of doing some exotic print. I think that I'll look for a CF at Harrys U Pull It and pick up a headliner that I can work on next winter. As it is, it's going to look pretty good.
"Harry's U Pull It" You must be a fellow Eastern, PA owner. Over many years I've been to all three Harry's locations looking for parts for other cars . A Crossfire is not their typical inventory item, but I would love to stumble on one there.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
"Harry's U Pull It" You must be a fellow Eastern, PA owner. Over many years I've been to all three Harry's locations looking for parts for other cars . A Crossfire is not their typical inventory item, but I would love to stumble on one there.
Yes, I am Danville, which is on Rte 80. I go to the one in Hazleton. I did check their inventory and no Crossfires but you never know, one might turn up. Just so it's not my car. LOL

Last edited by JEFASOLD; 05-15-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
That's slicker than snot on a glass doorknob !
Thanks, I love the alliteration, you must be a poet.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

A poet that don't know it, but my feet show it. They're Longfellows.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:14 PM

Yes, I am Danville, which is in Rte 80. I go to the one in Hazleton. I did check their inventory and no Crossfires but you never know, one might turn up. Just so it's not my car. LOL
Harry's in Hazleton is the farthest one from me. It's a two hour trip to get there. I went to that one only once about 4 or 5 years ago. My older son damaged his Firebird, and we needed a hood. It was in the middle of winter and the temperature was in the single digits. That location is huge. Not a good time to go searching for parts. Unfortunately, that trip was a bust, but we found one later at the Allentown location.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 PM

The Hazleton location is the only one I have been to. On another note, the Ghost rides again! After installing the headliner and completing the AEM install, I took it out for a ride, actually to get it inspected but all is well and now I can enjoy it again, I have a car show this Saturday, the first of several.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! What material did you end up using? My headliner is also getting on the sagging wagon.

-R

Old 05-18-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by RickR
Looks good! What material did you end up using? My headliner is also getting on the sagging wagon.

-R
I used a material specifically for headliners from AUTOTRIM called quicksilver. It has a foam backing already bonded to it and has a fair amount of give to go around corners. It can also be painted with Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint, then after it dries you just brush it out with a stiff bristled nylon brush. I recommend trying a sample first as the color will look different on different materials. I used a silver, which on nonabsorbent material is bright silver but on the headliner it has a darker silver, almost pewter, look. It isn't hard to do but you need 2 people when attaching the material to the shell. Look at one of the videos on Utube. Oh, and use the correct adhesive, I used 3M headliner adhesive.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:45 PM

Well, now that it's done, I figured out how to do it with the ostrich skin material. The answer is that you have to remove the backing material which is as simple as spraying it with adhesive remover, let it soak in for a minute and just peel it off. It was the backing that doesn't stretch, the ostrich skin is quite stretchable. I wont be doing it this year, since what I did looks very good but sometime in the future it will happen.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Well, now that it's done, I figured out how to do it with the ostrich skin material. The answer is that you have to remove the backing material which is as simple as spraying it with adhesive remover, let it soak in for a minute and just peel it off. It was the backing that doesn't stretch, the ostrich skin is quite stretchable. I wont be doing it this year, since what I did looks very good but sometime in the future it will happen.
And does the ostrich pattern matches better the factory look? I went to a shop yesterday, quoted me $160. Then today they told me it was too cheap, because of the car and the "what if I loose a nut or something". Hate when that happens when they see the car . I guess I'll have a weekend project then

Old 05-29-2014, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by RickR
And does the ostrich pattern matches better the factory look? I went to a shop yesterday, quoted me $160. Then today they told me it was too cheap, because of the car and the "what if I loose a nut or something". Hate when that happens when they see the car . I guess I'll have a weekend project then
There are no nuts just 6 screws and 2 push pins. It will probably take a little longer than a weekend but not much. Be sure to have an extra pair of hands when putting the new material back on, it's not a one man job. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:15 PM

I'm in the middle of doing mine and found the secret to cleaning off the base. I wired brushed the old foam off, manual brush that is, and took the remaining glue off with spray brake cleaner. I sprayed a small section at a time and used a clean wire brush to wire off the adhesive. It took it back to bare cardboard or whatever that stuff is. The lady at Hancocks Fabric said she's done many of them and uses only 3m 900 super strength spray adhesive. I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by xfirepop
I'm in the middle of doing mine and found the secret to cleaning off the base. I wired brushed the old foam off, manual brush that is, and took the remaining glue off with spray brake cleaner. I sprayed a small section at a time and used a clean wire brush to wire off the adhesive. It took it back to bare cardboard or whatever that stuff is. The lady at Hancocks Fabric said she's done many of them and uses only 3m 900 super strength spray adhesive. I'll let you know how it works out.

Good luck with it. I used 3M headliner adhesive with good results. I'm sure that there are quite a few adhesives that will work. I'll have to try the brake cleaner, maybe it will work better than adhesive remover. The guys at Carlisle can verify my results, with the exception of the color, (I went with a dark silver), it looks as good as stock. Anyway, I hope it comes out good.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 AM

It looks really nice Jim..

I am in the process of redoing mine as well. I went head and pulled my headliner out last night.. Although I wasn't able to figure out how to pull off the front plastic trim pieces near the windshield. I wound up completely pulling off the back plastic pieces(no breakage thank God), but wasn't able to pop off the front pieces.. Luckily I was able to just slide the headliner back a little and it just completely fell down. I'm starting to wonder however how I am going to get it back in with those plastic columns still in place.. I guess we will see..

If anyone has any recommendations on how to pop them off(without worrying about them breaking), please feel free to post up any tips or tricks.. I think if I saw the backside of one(or how it plugs into the frame of the car), I might feel a bit better about just "tugging on them."

Old 07-26-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Xalidin
It looks really nice Jim..

I am in the process of redoing mine as well. I went head and pulled my headliner out last night.. Although I wasn't able to figure out how to pull off the front plastic trim pieces near the windshield. I wound up completely pulling off the back plastic pieces(no breakage thank God), but wasn't able to pop off the front pieces.. Luckily I was able to just slide the headliner back a little and it just completely fell down. I'm starting to wonder however how I am going to get it back in with those plastic columns still in place.. I guess we will see..

If anyone has any recommendations on how to pop them off(without worrying about them breaking), please feel free to post up any tips or tricks.. I think if I saw the backside of one(or how it plugs into the frame of the car), I might feel a bit better about just "tugging on them."

You will need to pop off the front columns but it isn't hard. For one thing, the Germans seem to make much better plastic than we do, it's really sturdy stuff. I use a plastic trim removal tool from Harbor Freight, a set is about $7. Just slide it in from the top and pull, it will pop right off. The best advice I can give is to take your time and when you use the adhesive, use plenty, make sure that both pieces are coated well. Good luck with it and if you have any questions you can PM me.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:12 PM

Well its complete! I actually didn't wind up removing the front columns. I did wind up fully removing the back pillars. I was able to slide the headliner back in and under the front pillars.. it actually worked out nice, cause then it held it there while I ran back to the back of the car to put the two main pins back in.

Putting the back pillars in did take awhile.. It helps that I was able to just sit in the trunk area and take my time matching everything up.. I had one side almost completely in, it was just a little "off".. and then I realized that the black pieces where the seatbelts come out of, had a little plastic piece that was supposed to mesh into the pillar.. So I wound up taking it all back out and re-aligning the pieces all over again. It is helpful to leave the back brake light access panel off, it allows you to reach in and align things a bit better.

The only part that didn't turn out absolutely perfect was where the ceiling goes into the front pillars. Due to the complex angles there are some very small wrinkles(the glue set quicker then I expected and it was too late to fix). Luckily most of the wrinkle is tucked into the front pillar, and the rest is obscured by the sun visor.

I'm extremely happy how it came out.. no broken plastic pieces and being able to see out the back window were my goals.. Both of them were accomplished!

Last edited by Xalidin; 07-27-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Attempting headliner repair