Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Strange debris in cabin filter cover

Old 12-02-2016, 02:23 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Strange debris in cabin filter cover

I changed my cabin filter today and found some strange debris in the bottom of the filter cover. None of this was found in the old filter which is strange, it was just lying inside as shown in the photo.

They look like paint chips, not plastic wiring insulation.

I also made an old thread by mach2plus about the filter change into a PDF, I added newer photos and edited the original text. CLICK

Old 12-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Strange debris in cabin filter cover

It's graffiti from when you celebrated New Years last year in your car.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I changed my cabin filter today and found some strange debris in the bottom of the filter cover. None of this was found in the old filter which is strange, it was just lying inside as shown in the photo.

I also made an old thread by mach2plus about the filter change into a PDF, I added newer photos and edited the original text. CLICK

Could it be parts of an up-wind label that finally let loose and was ground down by the cage fan? Did the replaced filter have some sort of coating that dried/fractured? Hope it is something simple and not a problem (besides driving you frantic).

Old 12-02-2016, 04:41 PM

The strange thing is it is on both ides of the filter and where the filter gasket sits. So presumably it was there back in 2012 when I changed the filter the first time. But I do not think I would have put it back if it looked like that.
I could find no trace of it on the filter or inside the housing.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

The strange thing is it is on both ides of the filter and where the filter gasket sits. So presumably it was there back in 2012 when I changed the filter the first time. But I do not think I would have put it back if it looked like that.
I could find no trace of it on the filter or inside the housing.
So if this was discovered during the latest filter change, and the updated procedure you posted reflects that filter change, then the fact that the cabin filter separated from its frame would explain the debris on both sides of the filter. Whatever or wherever the source, the debris was able to bypass the filter element. Curious you didn't detect any debris coming from the HVAC ducting if debris bypassed the filter.

I tend to lean towards a label of some kind breaking up after all the years. But having changed the cabin filter in my car 2x since I've owned it, I can't recall seeing some type of label in the housing. Your updated write-up showed a lot of debris in & around the blower. Wonder if the source is within that section? Blower motor might have labeling that is starting to breakdown after years of exposure to various environmental conditions.

Let us know when & if you find the source of the debris.

Later,

Old 12-05-2016, 08:39 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

So I remembered that I had a new blower/motor assembly out in my XFire spare parts stash. Went to look at it to see if I could pinpoint a source of the debris. Turns out the top of the stator lamination is painted green on the spare assembly. And the color shade is a very close match to what you shared with us in your photo above. So the "paint chips" you're referring to probably are exactly that. Exposure to environmental conditions over time could be causing the paint to flake off the lamination in the motor. Might be an initial indication that motor entered a failure mode and may need changing down the road. My $0.02 USD.

I've attached an image to show what I saw. Hope this helps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
XFireBlowerMotorDesign.JPG (148.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-05-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
So I remembered that I had a new blower/motor assembly out in my XFire spare parts stash. Went to look at it to see if I could pinpoint a source of the debris. Turns out the top of the stator lamination is painted green on the spare assembly. And the color shade is a very close match to what you shared with us in your photo above. So the "paint chips" you're referring to probably are exactly that. Exposure to environmental conditions over time could be causing the paint to flake off the lamination in the motor. Might be an initial indication that motor entered a failure mode and may need changing down the road. My $0.02 USD.

I've attached an image to show what I saw. Hope this helps.
There really was not too much debris in the fan motor housing as you can see and no paint chips at all, there were no paint chips on the filter element itself either. The filter element had not separated from its frame, but the seal around the frame had deteriorated. Strange indeed, I have no idea what happened at all. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
The text in this PDF is basically by mach2plus, I just changed it a little and added the newer pics.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-05-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

There really was not too much debris in the fan motor housing as you can see and no paint chips at all, there were no paint chips on the filter element itself either. The filter element had not separated from its frame, but the seal around the frame had deteriorated. Strange indeed, I have no idea what happened at all. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
The text in this PDF is basically by mach2plus, I just changed it a little and added the newer pics.

Dave, how hard would it be to drop the fan/cage assembly and inspect it (on a clear and warm day)? Then you can report back and my questions would be solved. Yes, I could take mine out BUT I haven't seen anything like that on mine so if you take yours out it would confirm or negate the housing.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Dave, how hard would it be to drop the fan/cage assembly and inspect it (on a clear and warm day)? Then you can report back and my questions would be solved. Yes, I could take mine out BUT I haven't seen anything like that on mine so if you take yours out it would confirm or negate the housing.

I'll do that, it is not cold in the garage and should take no time at all.
I'll get back with the results.