New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Hi! Does anyone recognize my new Crossfire?

Old 12-14-2017, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi! Does anyone recognize my new Crossfire?

Hi fellow owners. This forum has helped me a great deal over the past couple of months and I think I'll be around for awhile. I figured I should introduce myself and ask a question that's been on my mind.

First, I'm Dan. This is my first cool car and I love it (2004 coupe, low miles). I purchased it from the estate of a man who recently died. Judging from his car, I can tell he was an enthusiast and great fan of the Crossfire. I can't begin to count the aftermarket parts on this vehicle, including lights, intake gadgets, boosters, HIDs, huge rims, subwoofers, etc. etc. etc. The inside is further "pimped" with burlwood woodgrain trim. It's awesome, though sometimes very confusing.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone recognizes this vehicle based on the pictures provided (I can post more if requested). I bought the vehicle in the Atlanta area and the man's name was Joe. I would be shocked if he wasn't a member of this community in some capacity. It would be helpful to know if he was so that I may be able to figure out some of his bells and whistles.

Even if nobody here knew about Joe, he was a great Crossfire owner and I am fortunate for his meticulous upkeep. I look forward to keeping this car for a long time and integrating with this community.

Cheers, mates!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sidewaxed.jpg (4.23 MB, 72 views)
front side.jpg (3.68 MB, 35 views)
front.jpg (3.24 MB, 75 views)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:28 PM
Default Re: Hi! Does anyone recognize my new Crossfire?

Here are two pics of the engine compartment. If anyone knows something about the large chrome pipe intake, I'm all ears! Thanks.

Attached Images
hood1.jpg (4.31 MB, 82 views)
hood2.jpg (4.58 MB, 84 views)

Last edited by blazodan; 12-14-2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: I failed to upload the pictures mentioned
Old 12-14-2017, 08:53 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

That is an aftermarket single cold air intake (CAI) pipe. The original engine cover (missing) has two.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Here's where you can find out ,"what the HE** were they thinking". Hopefully we can help or you can find the answers, in the data base amassed by those that have come before you.. Enjoy the (s)miles...

Old 12-15-2017, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett
That is an aftermarket single cold air intake (CAI) pipe. The original engine cover (missing) has two.
Thanks, Padgett! Why would someone replace two cold air intakes with one aftermarket one? Is this for added horsepower?

Old 12-15-2017, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Welcome to the forum. Here's where you can find out ,"what the HE** were they thinking". Hopefully we can help or you can find the answers, in the data base amassed by those that have come before you.. Enjoy the (s)miles...
Thank you kind sir. I have found many answers indeed. I will probably need many more

Old 12-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

congrats on the new car, welcome to the forum.

1. close your oil fill cap all the way
2. clean up the oil that puked all over your valve cover and is most likely now dripping onto your hot exhaust manifold due to #1
3. deal with the bare wires hanging by the coolant reservoir
4. some brake cleaner on a rag will remove the paint marker from the junk yard that is on your secondary air pump (yellow writing on the front of your motor)
5. figure out why there is a yellow wire bunched up behind the front grill

Old 12-15-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedsWings

2. clean up the oil that puked all over your valve cover and is most likely now dripping onto your hot exhaust manifold due to #1
4. some brake cleaner on a rag will remove the paint marker from the junk yard that is on your secondary air pump (yellow writing on the front of your motor)
Is that yellow wire an LED string?
Did someone split the headlights open and mod them?

Old 12-15-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Just checked my oil cap and it is tightly secured. Maybe those oil stains are old, I don't know. I am cleaning out the extra wires, including the yellow LED strips throughout the vehicle.

The one point of yours that I don't understand is $4. What paint marker are you referring to? Thanks again!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Is that yellow wire an LED string?
Did someone split the headlights open and mod them?
Hi 180. Yes, the yellow wire is a long LED string. Concerning the headlights, why do you ask? I'm not sure if they've been modded. There are at least six ballasts mounted. Fog lights, daytime running lights, high and low beams are all HID aftermarket. Do you see anything peculiar about the housing? Thanks!

Old 12-15-2017, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by blazodan
Hi 180. Yes, the yellow wire is a long LED string. Concerning the headlights, why do you ask? I'm not sure if they've been modded. There are at least six ballasts mounted. Fog lights, daytime running lights, high and low beams are all HID aftermarket. Do you see anything peculiar about the housing? Thanks!
Halos have been fitted around the lights and the housing was split and resealed with black silicone or something similar.
Normally the oil cap sits squarely across the engine bay, maybe the extension it sits on is not square.
The yellow paint is on the secondary air pump, so it was replaced at some point.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:29 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

~ the yellow paint markings typically dictates the part came from a salvage yard (sold as a used functioning part). nothing wrong with it but the yellowing markings can be removed with goo gone or like product to clean things up.

a good cleaning or power washing of the engine would look nice too. this way you can determine if there are still any remaining leaks or if they have since been repaired.

Last edited by andrew; 12-15-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Re: Hi! Does anyone recognize my new Crossfire?

Originally Posted by andrew
~ the yellow paint markings typically dictates the part came from a salvage yard (sold as a used functioning part). nothing wrong with it but the yellowing markings can be removed with goo gone or like product to clean things up.

a good cleaning or power washing of the engine would look nice too. this way you can determine if there are still any remaining leaks or if they have since been repaired.
Andrew, when you say a power washing are you referring to a pressure washer type?

Old 12-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by djohn14296
Andrew, when you say a power washing are you referring to a pressure washer type?
I think he is. I sprayed a warm (not hot) dirty engine in a car I wanted to sell with Gunk and then carefully washed it down with a power washer, it came up very nice. Just do not spray the alternator and wire connectors directly. Some garages etc. Will steam clean your engine, others use a power washer carefully.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The CAI looks like a "kit" made by Spectre Performance a while back.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:38 AM

If possible get rid of the corrugated pipe, the corrugations disrupt the flow of air.
Replace with a smooth pipe.